New 1978 Boler owners James and Anita - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-21-2015, 12:12 AM   #1

Name: James
Trailer: Boler
Alberta
New 1978 Boler owners James and Anita

Hi everyone! Really excited to take the little egg out for its maiden voyage! Needs some work as they all do, haha, but am more than willing to tackle what's needed. The po knew a welder that took care of the frame before it became a problem, I checked and it has been reinforced in the problem areas. The fabric and foam was replaced not long ago. No heater, fridge was replaced with a bar fridge, kinda sad about that, but at the worst it can be used as an ice box while dry camping. Needs a new vent, it was leaking and they sealed it shut with what looks like tar and roofing shingles? Yeah, I know.... Sigh. Does anyone know of a good replacement? I know about the fantastic fan, but don't like the spacing issue. Is there an alternative to that that doesn't have the gap? I don't mind cutting a larger hole, in fact with that mess of a "fix" they did, cutting it out would be easier! Also, anyone install a water pump? I would like to tap it into the existing water tap, do I just need to tee line it and install a check valve on the city water line? I would also like to keep my manual pump, is that possible? Thanks so much for all the info you have all already given me, this site has been useful in buying a Boler as well.
James Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 01:51 AM   #2

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Mc View Post
Hi everyone! Really excited to take the little egg out for its maiden voyage! Needs some work as they all do, haha, but am more than willing to tackle what's needed. The po knew a welder that took care of the frame before it became a problem, I checked and it has been reinforced in the problem areas. The fabric and foam was replaced not long ago. No heater, fridge was replaced with a bar fridge, kinda sad about that, but at the worst it can be used as an ice box while dry camping. Needs a new vent, it was leaking and they sealed it shut with what looks like tar and roofing shingles? Yeah, I know.... Sigh. Does anyone know of a good replacement? I know about the fantastic fan, but don't like the spacing issue. Is there an alternative to that that doesn't have the gap? I don't mind cutting a larger hole, in fact with that mess of a "fix" they did, cutting it out would be easier! Also, anyone install a water pump? I would like to tap it into the existing water tap, do I just need to tee line it and install a check valve on the city water line? I would also like to keep my manual pump, is that possible? Thanks so much for all the info you have all already given me, this site has been useful in buying a Boler as well.

Welcome to FGRV, you'll get some answers from Boler owners soon. Most everybody has a powered vent. I have a FF but don't understand your spacing comment/concerns. Sounds like you have a real cleanup job around your current vent to do. Be sure to use butyl tape as a sealer when you do install another vent, not sillycone. Installing a water pump isn't hard but you may want do a little searching in the document center for threads on the plumbing questions you have. BTW, a number of members have replaced their inop refers with used ones from tent trailers being parted out pretty cheaply too .
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 06:29 AM   #3
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
Welcome James great to see another Alberta Boler owner, looking forward to meeting you this summer at an event.

You may like the power roof vent mod I made on my Boler.
DIY Power Roof Vent

Also your idea of adding an electric water pump is a common mod, is your resivour still usable? If not here is a solution that works very well, the inlet line into the trailer can be to either street water or the reservoir, the reservoir uses an electric pump to pressurize the system.
External Water Reservoir
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 11:51 AM   #4

Name: Marvin
Trailer: Trillium
Massachusetts
Fantastic idea for fan! Are they reversible or can the setup be turned around easily to have the air come in through the roof?
mrmdvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 01:39 PM   #5

Alberta
That is a good idea! I'm not too concerned with massive air flow, just like you said, keeping the humidity down would be a big plus. Had problems with that in our last trailer.
Old 04-21-2015, 01:42 PM   #6

Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
Welcome to FGRV, you'll get some answers from Boler owners soon. Most everybody has a powered vent. I have a FF but don't understand your spacing comment/concerns. Sounds like you have a real cleanup job around your current vent to do. Be sure to use butyl tape as a sealer when you do install another vent, not sillycone. Installing a water pump isn't hard but you may want do a little searching in the document center for threads on the plumbing questions you have. BTW, a number of members have replaced their inop refers with used ones from tent trailers being parted out pretty cheaply too .
I have seen a couple of installations where the FF needed a spacer made for either the roof or on the inside of the trailer, due to the trim ring being too deep/long.
Old 04-21-2015, 03:46 PM   #7

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
1.25" square tube makes a great spacer on the outside.

Your fridge was likely an RM211:
Tent trailer parts | parts, accessories | Calgary | Kijiji
1974 tent trailer furnace, fridge and stove and sink | travel trailers, campers | Lethbridge | Kijiji
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 04:12 PM   #8

Alberta
Wow, great links! thanks.
Old 04-21-2015, 04:24 PM   #9
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
Lethbridge is where I got my RM2300 fridge (which would be too large to install in the stock locations). The local pick-n-pull auto wrecker, searched the custom vans & found three 3-way fridges, I grabbed the one that still had the cap on the propane inlet and the 110V still wire tied, paid $100
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 05:27 PM   #10

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
The local Pick and Pull, in Calgary charged me $25 for a fridge. I wish I had bought the 12VDC compressor fridge I saw.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 05:45 PM   #11

Alberta
I frequent pick n pull in Edmonton, definitely something else to keep an eye out for now.

Tags
boler