New(1997) casita owner - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-06-2017, 11:19 AM   #1
Junior Member
 
Name: Shaun
Trailer: 1997 casita spirit
Illinois
Posts: 10
New(1997) casita owner

Just picked up a casita 16' last week. Took it on a camping trip to starved rock state park last weekend and had a good time. Not only is this my first camper, but first time ever being in a camper. So there is a lot I need to learn. Everything on the trip went pretty well, I couldn't figure out how to get the fridge to work on ac, so ended up using propane. Also came to the realization that I need to somehow build a bunkbed, because the casita is tight with 2 little ones.
__________________

__________________
Chicagowin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 11:24 AM   #2
Junior Member
 
Name: Shaun
Trailer: 1997 casita spirit
Illinois
Posts: 10
Pic
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4365.jpg  
__________________

__________________
Chicagowin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 12:21 PM   #3
Member
 
jgilliam1955's Avatar
 
Name: Jack
Trailer: Snoozy on Order
Virginia
Posts: 49
Welcome and nice camper.
__________________
jgilliam1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 12:45 PM   #4
Member
 
Name: Ilene
Trailer: 1981 Perris Pacer
California
Posts: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagowin View Post
Just picked up a casita 16' last week. Took it on a camping trip to starved rock state park last weekend and had a good time. Not only is this my first camper, but first time ever being in a camper. So there is a lot I need to learn. Everything on the trip went pretty well, I couldn't figure out how to get the fridge to work on ac, so ended up using propane. Also came to the realization that I need to somehow build a bunkbed, because the casita is tight with 2 little ones.
Congratulations! What are you towing with?
__________________
Ilene Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 03:05 PM   #5
Junior Member
 
Name: Shaun
Trailer: 1997 casita spirit
Illinois
Posts: 10
I plan to tow with an Acura MDX, but I have to get a trans cooler and brake controller. So currently I'm towing with a tesla model x.
__________________
Chicagowin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 03:13 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Dudley's Avatar
 
Name: David
Trailer: 1998 Casita 17 SD
Alberta
Posts: 648
Registry
A-Z Casita Owner's Guide has a good guide and if you register on www.casitaforum.com you can download a guide by the webmaster Gene.

Lots of good info on both this and the Casita Forum!
__________________
Dudley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 05:05 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Name: Eric
Trailer: 1987 Casita 16
Illinois
Posts: 189
How does the Tesla tow? I always wondered if the electric car would work for towing, since the "lug down" of a gas engine would not be a factor. I suppose the motors could get warm, but unless at it a long time, don't think they would get to hot. I know Tesla has said they were planning an electric Semi -- so the battery development should be getting better. Interesting idea for a tow!
__________________
EricAllyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 05:08 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Name: Eric
Trailer: 1987 Casita 16
Illinois
Posts: 189
There should be a switch on the fridge -- one of the posts here talked about it being in a difficult spot -- post a separate thread and you will likely get an answer -- great camper -- and welcome -- we are in the western subs
__________________
EricAllyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 06:38 PM   #9
Junior Member
 
Name: Shaun
Trailer: 1997 casita spirit
Illinois
Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricAllyn View Post
How does the Tesla tow? I always wondered if the electric car would work for towing, since the "lug down" of a gas engine would not be a factor. I suppose the motors could get warm, but unless at it a long time, don't think they would get to hot. I know Tesla has said they were planning an electric Semi -- so the battery development should be getting better. Interesting idea for a tow!
The tesla tows well. Very little lug, but it drains my battery significantly. For example if I get 200 miles on a full charge normally, I will only get 120 towing.

Where in the west burbs are you? I'm in the Schaumburg/ palatine area.
__________________
Chicagowin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 08:55 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Name: Eric
Trailer: 1987 Casita 16
Illinois
Posts: 189
Villa Park -- I am rebuilding a Casita 1988 and have a thread on it.
__________________
EricAllyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 09:03 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Name: Eric
Trailer: 1987 Casita 16
Illinois
Posts: 189
Nice weekend spot close might be blackwell forest preserve in Winfield. We took the grandkids there and camped, and they had fun -- only open on weekends, may-sept -- $20 night for DuPage Residents
__________________
EricAllyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 09:15 AM   #12
Junior Member
 
Name: Shaun
Trailer: 1997 casita spirit
Illinois
Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricAllyn View Post
Villa Park -- I am rebuilding a Casita 1988 and have a thread on it.
I was just reading that thread a couple days ago. What a project you got. Can't wait to see it when it's done.
__________________

__________________
Chicagowin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
casita


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1997 Casita 13 ft Mini fiberglass $6700 Robin G Classified Archives 1 08-27-2009 06:55 AM
16' 1997 Casita Dana T Classified Archives 1 05-21-2009 11:59 PM
1997 Casita Spirit Deluxe $8750 Robin G Classified Archives 2 04-27-2009 11:03 AM
SOLD- 1997 Casita 16-Sumter, SC Greg A Classified Archives 1 04-21-2008 09:40 PM
New old owner, or old new owner? drews60 General Chat 7 11-17-2006 04:36 PM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:47 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.