New - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-02-2011, 02:56 PM   #1

Name: Sue & Gene
Trailer: 1989 Scamper 16ft
Illinois
Registry
Talking New

Hey All!We are new to this site, but thrilled to have found it! We just recently purchased a 1989 16ft Scamp-it is in great shape, and we are beginning to "tweek" the Great White Scamper!
Need some input on adding air conditioning to this lil thing-we are considering putting a unit where the frig goes, as the original frig has been replaced by a dorm size. We dont want to use any of the windows if we dont have to!
Hoping to make our first camping trip this weekend!!
Susanm34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 05:18 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hey Sue and Gene, welcome to FiberglassRV. We're glad you found us. I don't have A/C so I'll leave it to the experts to give you advice.

Your trailer is one year newer than mine. Aren't they fun!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 05:30 PM   #3

Illinois
Registry
Fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Hey Sue and Gene, welcome to FiberglassRV. We're glad you found us. I don't have A/C so I'll leave it to the experts to give you advice.

Your trailer is one year newer than mine. Aren't they fun!
Hi Donna! Thank you for the warm welcome! It was quite a "find" on this lil egg-and it has slowly but surely grown on us! We have dreams for this lil Scamper-hopefully we get some advice on the A/C part!
Old 08-02-2011, 05:34 PM   #4

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Welcome Susan! Someone will chime in on how they did their air conditioning. We put ours on the roof of our UHaul VT.

Canton where?

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 06:15 PM   #5

Illinois
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyL View Post
Welcome Susan! Someone will chime in on how they did their air conditioning. We put ours on the roof of our UHaul VT.

Canton where?

CindyL
Hey Cindy-I see you are from Illinois also! Neighbors!! I'm about 30 miles SW of Peoria, IL!
We are now considering putting the AC where the frig used to be-
Old 08-02-2011, 06:17 PM   #6

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Sue and Gene.

I've begun the planning for installing an AC unit in our 1991 Scamp 16. My plan is to put it in the bottom of the Hanging closet. Our hanging closet has two doors and we plan to use the lower door for a 5000 BTU AC unit and above it a Hamper.

Many have used the bottom of the hanging closet for this purpose, ventilating it out the side of the trailer. My approach will be a little different.

This means cutting the front below the bottom door of the Hanging closet. My plan for ventilating the AC unit is to cut two holes thru the floor and insure adequate ventilation with two fans, one blowing cool air in and one sucking warm air out. I plan to use two 12 volt computer fans. Also I will allow water to drain out the bottom.

A search of the forum should show what others have done.

Norm

Once I start I will provide pictures in the modifications area under Preparing a 1991 Scamp 16.
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 06:23 PM   #7

Illinois
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Sue and Gene.

I've begun the planning for installing an AC unit in our 1991 Scamp 16. My plan is to put it in the bottom of the Hanging closet. Our hanging closet has two doors and we plan to use the lower door for a 5000 BTU AC unit and above it a Hamper.

Many have used the bottom of the hanging closet for this purpose, ventilating it out the side of the trailer. My approach will be a little different.

This means cutting the front below the bottom door of the Hanging closet. My plan for ventilating the AC unit is to cut two holes thru the floor and insure adequate ventilation with two fans, one blowing cool air in and one sucking warm air out. I plan to use two 12 volt computer fans. Also I will allow water to drain out the bottom.

A search of the forum should show what others have done.

Norm

Once I start I will provide pictures in the modifications area under Preparing a 1991 Scamp 16.
Thank you for the insight Norm! My husbands real name is Norman, after his father!
I will look forward to seeing photos!!
Old 08-02-2011, 09:54 PM   #8

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Well, hi fellow Illinois person. Long ways down there from Chicago! Maybe we will meet at a rally in the future. I recommend Roys fish fry in May!! We have gone the last couple of years.

I am sure you will love your camper. I too would not want to put the air in the window. In our previous Burro, we punched a hole in the fiberglass in the back, put it there (at hubby's feet when sleeping - he sleeps near the wall), and disguised it from the outside using a cut-up Coleman cooler. So when stopped, we took off the cooler; when driving, it looked like a cooler strapped to a shelf that hubby built for it to rest one (connected to bumper). One guy even asked for a brew when we stopped .

Welcome!

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 05:46 AM   #9

Illinois
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyL View Post
Well, hi fellow Illinois person. Long ways down there from Chicago! Maybe we will meet at a rally in the future. I recommend Roys fish fry in May!! We have gone the last couple of years.

I am sure you will love your camper. I too would not want to put the air in the window. In our previous Burro, we punched a hole in the fiberglass in the back, put it there (at hubby's feet when sleeping - he sleeps near the wall), and disguised it from the outside using a cut-up Coleman cooler. So when stopped, we took off the cooler; when driving, it looked like a cooler strapped to a shelf that hubby built for it to rest one (connected to bumper). One guy even asked for a brew when we stopped .

Welcome!

CindyL
LOL @ the cooler disguise-good idea! I think my husband figured it out-where the old frig used to be, he placed it there-the outside vent provides air flow, and our little dorm size frig fits on top of the air conditioner!! I"l post pics when we are done!
Old 08-08-2011, 05:12 AM   #10

Illinois
Registry
The first trip went well! Check out new pics-as we have finally got the frig and A/C in place!