New Amerigo owner - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-21-2015, 01:44 PM   #1

Name: Matthew
Trailer: Amerigo
Oregon
New Amerigo owner

Howdy all, allow me to introduce myself. I'm Matt, and I own a 1975 Amerigo 11' Snap-N-Nap Slide-in.

Going to be beginning restoration of our "new" Camper, and joined up as this is one of the few sites that has a section on Amerigo (though it looks like it only covers the Amerigo trailers vs their full line of RVs).

Due to the image limitations of the forum, I'll have to give you links to my image libraries on my blog for pictures of the rig .

Outside can be seen here on my truck:
The Journey of the Redneck Express: Of Pirates and Truck Campers

Inside can be see here:
The Journey of the Redneck Express: A tale of Two Truck Campers - End of the KIT's road
RedneckExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 02:00 PM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Welcome, Matthew!

You may have missed on the home page: "This website is intended as a free resource for those who are looking for, or who own, molded fiberglass travel trailers." It's in the fine print under the photo. So yes, we're about trailers.

However, you'll find us an eclectic bunch with interests that occasionally stray outside the narrow boundaries of the forum. Especially if it's small, molded fiberglass, lightweight, and/or unconventional. I believe we have one or two Bigfoot slide-in owners here. Just know it's not our main focus.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 02:30 PM   #3

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Very very cool find
Can't say I've ever seen one of these
Keep us up to date on progress

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 08:25 PM   #4

Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Welcome, Matthew!

You may have missed on the home page: "This website is intended as a free resource for those who are looking for, or who own, molded fiberglass travel trailers." It's in the fine print under the photo. So yes, we're about trailers.

However, you'll find us an eclectic bunch with interests that occasionally stray outside the narrow boundaries of the forum. Especially if it's small, molded fiberglass, lightweight, and/or unconventional. I believe we have one or two Bigfoot slide-in owners here. Just know it's not our main focus.
I think what threw me off is the name is "Fiberglass RV" vs "Fiberglass Trailer" .

I'm mainly interested in seeing what folks did to restore the gel coat on older units.
Old 09-21-2015, 09:46 PM   #5

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedneckExpress View Post
I think what threw me off is the name is "Fiberglass RV" vs "Fiberglass Trailer" .

I'm mainly interested in seeing what folks did to restore the gel coat on older units.
Lots of information about that here. You'll find four general schools of thought on gelcoat restoration. All start with a thorough cleaning and removal of oxidation.
  1. Automotive or marine paste wax.
  2. Liquid floor wax.
  3. Paint.

Door #1 is best on a newer trailer. On an older unit it will protect, but it won't give a like-new gloss. It has to be reapplied regularly (how often depends on climate and storage). Door #2 gives a high gloss shine and can last through several seasons, but will eventually peel, requiring removal before reapplication. Door #3 requires use of the right paint and technique, since fiberglass flexes. It's usually reserved for situations where there are fiberglass repairs that don't match the original gelcoat.

I use an automotive wax twice a year. When I bought my trailer, it was 4 years old and probably hadn't seen a coat of wax. The results of the first few waxings were spotty, but it's gotten better with repeat applications. Warning: even on a small trailer like mine, it's a workout!

You can pull up lots of old threads with specific product recommendations using the Google site search. From the website, go to the blue bar at the top under your log-in information, "Search," and all the way down to "Site search/Google."

Oh yeah… the fourth option. Just let it age. Gelcoat is only cosmetic, and a dull trailer is less likely to attract the attention of a thief.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 12:06 PM   #6

Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Oh yeah… the fourth option. Just let it age. Gelcoat is only cosmetic, and a dull trailer is less likely to attract the attention of a thief.
Given my rig's normal look when traveling, it could be as shiny as glass, and it probably still get ignored.

The original setup, prior to my entry into the fiberglass world.

Tags
amerigo