New and looking! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-05-2013, 08:29 PM   #1

Name: Mary
Trailer: 1985 Burro 13'
Oregon
New and looking!

Hi everyone! Just joined the forum today and wanted to chime in and say "hi." I didn't really know I wanted a fiberglass trailer until I saw one and was smitten. So, we are now on the hunt for one! I've been lurking on the forum the last couple of days, learning as much as I can. There is a ton of great information here. I can't wait to find our own trailer and put some of that knowledge to use.
just mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:33 PM   #2

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
Well, great! Glad you could join us. Which egg did you see that got you interested? Are you going to look for new or used?
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:38 PM   #3

Oregon
Hi, Mike! I just stumbled across them online, and realized that was exactly what we need. I don't even know which model it was! After looking at them for a while, I like the look of the Burros the best, I think. I really like that all white fiberglass interior (I know a lot of people don't, but it really appeals to me). So far, I've noticed that the U-Haul and the Burro have that. Are there others that are like that?

Cost is going to be our limiting factor, though, so if we can find something in good shape for a good price anywhere on the West Coast, we will likely get it regardless of the brand. We are looking at the older models - probably something from the 80s? Hopefully that will keep our cost down a little. They seem to be kind of hard to come by! Oh, we have two kids, so we definitely need something that either has the bunks or has the space to mod some bunks.
Old 03-05-2013, 08:41 PM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hi Mary in Oregon! from Donna D. in Portland. We're glad you're here! Since I don't know what city you reside, if you're anywhere close to Portland, you may want to come out to Champoeg State Park the end of April and see a bunch of different brands of all molded trailers and talk to the owners. Nothing beats personally viewing! Click here for more info: April 25-28, 2013 Spring NOG - Northern Oregon Gathering Champoeg State Heritage Park The link takes you to the CasitaForum, but the top post has ALL the details.

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:42 PM   #5

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Eggs are kinda rare right now, but give it a month or so and everyone will be putting them on the market. Prices are all over the map. Take a look at the referrals archive, you will see what I mean.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:44 PM   #6

Oregon
Hi Donna! I was just reading that on another thread you posted. That looks like so much fun! I would love to see all of those trailers in person. We are in Southern Oregon, but in the Portland area constantly - once a month or more, recently. We love our road trips! And a little trailer would make it all the better.
Old 03-05-2013, 08:46 PM   #7

Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
Eggs are kinda rare right now, but give it a month or so and everyone will be putting them on the market. Prices are all over the map. Take a look at the referrals archive, you will see what I mean.
So, there tends to be more for sale when the weather gets a little nicer? I noticed that the prices are ALL over the map. Some of the "sold" listings seem so cheap, but when I'm looking, I'm shocked at how much they are listed for sometimes!

So, if I was looking at a mid-80s Burro, completely original, no extra work done to it, so normal wear and tear for age, what do you think I should expect to spend? I don't want to get sucked into the excitement of this and be impatient and overpay!
Old 03-05-2013, 08:46 PM   #8

Mary, if you haven't found your egg by the NOG, I'd still suggest making the road trip. You may be surprised by what you see. If you'd like to stay in the park, there are yurts and cabins. Let me know if you have any questions about the NOG. There's more than one way to make memories!
Old 03-05-2013, 09:38 PM   #9

Name: Clayton
Trailer: 19' 1977 BIGGAR
British Columbia
Mary, here's another reason to go to the NOG or any other gathering: I've never been to a fiberglass gathering without seeing or hearing about someone buying a trailer while there! (mind you, I've only been to FOUR! )

Take a look at all the different makes and models and let people know you are looking. You never know, you may find one right there!

Clayton
Old 03-05-2013, 10:05 PM   #10

Oregon
Thanks, you guys, the NOG sounds like a great time.

I actually just talked with a guy that has a Burro for sale that I'm interested in. He did a good job telling me the details and realistic condition of the trailer. Can I list the things he pointed out here and have you tell me what you think, or should I start a new thread for that?
Old 03-05-2013, 10:20 PM   #11

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by just mary View Post
Thanks, you guys, the NOG sounds like a great time.

I actually just talked with a guy that has a Burro for sale that I'm interested in. He did a good job telling me the details and realistic condition of the trailer. Can I list the things he pointed out here and have you tell me what you think, or should I start a new thread for that?
Hi Mary,

Take a look in the document center for the buyer's checklist: Fiberglass RV - Document Center - BuyersChecklist

Fire away with your list, you'll get a lot of good feedback from the pros here. They've helped me a lot since I started having fun with fibreglass trailers a couple years ago.

Clayton
Old 03-05-2013, 10:31 PM   #12

Oregon
Thanks, Clayton. I did take a look at that list, and read a bit on the forum, so I kind of knew some of the questions to ask him. It's a mid-80s Burro, doesn't appear to have any major restorations done to it but pictures appear generally clean and fairly well kept. Here are the flaws as stated to me, in no order of severity.
  • Some spider cracks in outside corners, as well as inside where the bench meets the wall and seat meets the wall.
  • One crack that looks like it goes through the outer hull, near the tailfin area.
  • One of the taillights has a bunch of caulking on it, something going on there, no sure what.
  • Wheel bearings need replacing.
  • Frame shows some rust underneath, but appears to generally be surface rust.
  • One corner of the rear bumper of the frame is folded in a little.
  • The hitch is an old style, not really functional, needs a padlock to make it work
  • The door threshold needs to be replaced. He said it doesn't appear to be a problem with the flooring underneath, just the threshold.
  • The door seems good. He said that when it was parked not level, it showed a little air, but closed good when level.

So, most of those things don't seem too big of a deal to me. I guess the biggest concern I have is the condition of the fiberglass. Is it ok to have those cracks?

Thanks! Oh, also, considering all of this information, what would you guess the ballpark price is?
Old 03-06-2013, 08:59 AM   #13

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Thanks, Clayton. I did take a look at that list, and read a bit on the forum, so I kind of knew some of the questions to ask him. It's a mid-80s Burro, doesn't appear to have any major restorations done to it but pictures appear generally clean and fairly well kept. Here are the flaws as stated to me, in no order of severity.
  • Some spider cracks in outside corners, as well as inside where the bench meets the wall and seat meets the wall.
  • One crack that looks like it goes through the outer hull, near the tailfin area.
  • One of the taillights has a bunch of caulking on it, something going on there, no sure what.
  • The hitch is an old style, not really functional, needs a padlock to make it work
  • The door threshold needs to be replaced. He said it doesn't appear to be a problem with the flooring underneath, just the threshold.
  • The door seems good. He said that when it was parked not level, it showed a little air, but closed good when level.

So, most of those things don't seem too big of a deal to me. I guess the biggest concern I have is the condition of the fiberglass. Is it ok to have those cracks?
These all would seem to be minor given the age. Surface cracks are probably just in the gel coat - an appearance not a structural issue. You may be able to reach the underside of the deeper crack through a compartment and FG reinforce it.

Quote:
Thanks! Oh, also, considering all of this information, what would you guess the ballpark price is?
13 foot Burro just sold for $3500 in MI. Prices will go up as warmer weather approaches.

Look here for historical data.

Burro Trailers SOLD | Fiberglass RV's For Sale
Old 03-06-2013, 07:24 PM   #14

British Columbia
Quote:

bent back bumper corner: as long as you can see the frame underneath and it hasn't warped that could be fine.

door gap when not level: ask him to level it when you take a look at it so you can see it closed nicely. At the same time check the floor to see that when it is closed properly that the trailer is in fact level. Could this be related to the bent back bumper and a possible warped frame? An impact on the back corner may not show much damage there but still warp the frame elsewhere if there as enough force.

I guess it depends on how far out the door is and if you are willing to accept it not perfectly closed. It's a common issue with many trailers.

tail light: this will surely be something you will need to address if you purchase it, possibly just to remove, clean up, and reinstall with a proper sealant

hitch coupler: It costs a couple hundred bucks to have the trailer hitch coupler replaced. I've done it on our last trailer and will be doing it with our current one because they aren't locking style.

Most of the items seem like they could be minor issues, depending on how perfect you want the trailer.

Not being too familiar with Burro, I can't comment on a couple of these items, such as the door threshold and tailfin crack (how severe)? Maybe other Burro owners can comment on those as I am not sure.

Clayton
Old 03-06-2013, 07:29 PM   #15

Oregon
Clayton, thanks so much for that info! We are going to look at it on Saturday. I am so excited I could scream, but I am also trying to be realistic and acknowledge that if this isn't the one, another one is out there for us! However, we're driving five hours one way just to see it, so I'm hoping this one is "it"!
Old 03-06-2013, 07:31 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by calindor View Post
hitch coupler: It costs a couple hundred bucks to have the trailer hitch coupler replaced. I've done it on our last trailer and will be doing it with our current one because they aren't locking style.
Could be as low as less than $20 + welding: A-Frame Coupler Trailer Coupler | etrailer.com
Old 03-06-2013, 07:33 PM   #17

Oregon
Also, Tom, thank you for that info, as well! This one is a little more than that $3500 one that recently sold, but from what I can tell, we are in high-demand land over here. I am kind of trying to balance the greater variety that summer will bring with the higher pricetag that summer will surely bring, as well.
Old 03-06-2013, 07:35 PM   #18

Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Could be as low as less than $20 + welding: A-Frame Coupler Trailer Coupler | etrailer.com
Donna, thanks for that link! I'm going to make my dh go through this thread and take notes, since he's the one that will be doing the hard work. I'm in charge of decorating.

I'm also creating a Pinterest board to gather all of the great info and links that I find here.
Old 03-06-2013, 07:47 PM   #19

British Columbia
Take a few detailed close-up pics to post here if you have further questions after you look!
Old 03-06-2013, 07:49 PM   #20

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
As I understand it, water ingress at the top of the doorway can be fairly common in Burros. Check the floor in the door area carefully for soft spots (look underneath too, and poke the wood with a screwdriver or something if you are able). If you buy it, consider adding a drip rail over the doorway.

Burros seem to sell for a bit less than used Scamps or Casitas, perhaps because the company is no longer in business. But they are good trailers.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote