New and looking for camper - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-19-2017, 08:32 AM   #1

Name: Betty
Trailer: Shopping
Iowa
New and looking for camper

Hi, we are starting to look for a scamp or similar camper. We need something to sleep 4 and is under 3000 lbs. We are in Iowa. Thanks for the join, and any help finding a camper.
Bettback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 09:07 AM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry

Your weight limit could allow you to go as large as a 16' trailer, though some will approach the limit. If that is the tow rating of your vehicle, you have to consider extra people, pets, and gear in the vehicle. Tow ratings generally assume two people in the front and the rest of the vehicle empty.

The thread Trailer Weights in the Real World is a helpful place to start. It has actual loaded weights of different makes and models, new and vintage. Post #297 links to a spreadsheet of the data.

We travel with 4 people and our 13' Scamp is tight, but cozy. The upper bunk is weight-limited, but the actual limit is not published. I've heard different numbers, but 100-120 pounds seems reasonable. Our girls have gotten to the age where they'd rather have their own tent when conditions allow, but it's nice to know we can all fit inside when the storms howl and the bears prowl! We bring lots of toys and gear, so our Pilot (rated 3500/350#) gives us some wiggle room on weight.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 09:13 AM   #3

Iowa
Weight

Thanks! We have a 2005 Explorer that is rated at 3400 lbs. So I'm hoping to find something for that.
Old 05-19-2017, 07:36 PM   #4

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Four adults or four people? It's going to be tight for sure but people do it. +10 check out weights in the real world.

On finding a trailer, you have to look aggressively, be willing to drive a distance and Pounce when you spot one. Our Casita sold in four hours, we bought it the first day it was for sale, and we bought our Escape the first day it was for sale (and it was 400 miles away one way).

Good luck with the search!
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 08:19 PM   #5

Iowa
Going to look tomorrow at a 2003 scamp 16ft with bunks. This is the first and it's 3 hours away. I guess I need to be ready!!
Old 05-19-2017, 08:47 PM   #6

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
If you go the the "More" tab at the top right of the screen, go to "Document Center," and look for the "Buyer's Checklist," you can download and print a guide for inspecting a used trailer.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 09:44 AM   #7

Name: Road Toad
Trailer: Keystone Vantage
Arkansas
We have a 2013 Vantage for sale. It is not listed yet. Lite weight and 32', if your looking for a larger home.
Road Toad is offline   Reply With Quote