New and shopping - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-30-2019, 09:57 AM   #1

Name: Nathan
Trailer: Starcraft
Tennessee
New and shopping

Hi there. We are on our second Starcraft trailer. The first on was a 19 hybrid, and now we are in a 19 bunkhouse. Weve dragged it from our home in Tennessee to the Keys, to upstate Michigan, and many places in between.

We are tired of cheap trailers and are ready to upgrade. We rented an airstream this summer and absolutely loved it. But Im not prepared to spend that kind of money and still deal with the known airstream issues like high maintenance on the exterior.

So thats led us to looking at fiberglass trailers. We love the Oliver but its not big enough for our family. So that pretty much leaves the 25 Bigfoot. We hope to check one out in person soon.

nmc79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 10:33 AM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
New and shopping

Not many larger options in molded fiberglass, especially larger options with family-oriented layouts.

The Bigfoot 25 is a nice trailer but heavy, and it only sleeps 4, though you could probably pack in a few more kids in a pinch. You're probably looking at a 3/4T truck or van to pull it, especially since you'll have a full crew on board as well as the trailer and gear.

I believe Escape trailers still offers a bunk option on some of their models. Not quite Oliver and Bigfoot build quality, but they seem well-regarded by most owners. Don't know how many beds you're looking for, but that might be a lighter weight option.

Oliver and Bigfoot are four-season trailers. The rest are three season units. Not sure if that matters.

Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 08:54 PM   #3

Name: Charles
Trailer: Bigfoot
Georgia
Depending on where in Tennessee you are located, https://www.southlandrv.com/ in Norcross Georgia, just north of Atlanta, is a Bigfoot dealer and has two 25 ft Rear Queen models in stock. Might be worth a drive to look at them in person.

Charles
Old 12-04-2019, 07:35 AM   #4
vin

Name: vince
Trailer: escape
Georgia
Smile new and shopping

Contact Escape Industries for referral's in your area. The 21' Escape may be just what you are looking for, quality, size and price. We have a 21' and could not be happier.
vin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 08:30 AM   #5

Name: Steve
Trailer: Casita 17 ft DLX SD & 21 ft SOB
NW Wisconsin
If you are tired of cheap , mediocre quality trailers and want a larger FG trailer then you basically have two choices Bigfoot or Oliver .
We owned a Casita 17 and decided we wanted a larger trailer so we took the cheap , easy route . In hindsight we should have done more research and spent the money and got what we really wanted / needed .
I find the advice on forum like this are more accurate and honest than the advice on forums devoted to a single brand of trailers , so beware

steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 10:14 AM   #6

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19; 1977 Trillium 1300
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
For handling more people, I find the Oliver to be a superb built, expanded Casita. But not to handle a lot of people. The BF 25 is probably your best choice if you want size and molded FG.

One thing about hybrid trailers, they can sleep a lot of people in a small size. Quality wise? Not so hot.

Back in the "old days", mom and dad got the trailer, us kids got tents......
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 10:54 AM   #7

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
Back in the "old days", mom and dad got the trailer, us kids got tents......
My family purchased a Skamper double dinette tent trailer. 12' box, 5' pullout beds on both ends and two 4' dinettes inside the box. Lots of room for all six of us! But I still wanted my own tent once I hit about 13 years old. Just because.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 11:14 AM   #8

Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 16, previously Scamp 13
None
I believe you can get a Scamp 19 configured to sleep 6. It wouldn't be my ideal, but if sleeping space is the priority...
LyleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 11:30 AM   #9

Name: Nathan
Trailer: Starcraft
Tennessee
Living space is important too. We will be empty nesters in 8 years and my wife retires in 15. We are really hoping to buy a trailer that will last a very long time, with the possibility of living in it.

Our requirements are walk around queen or twins, full fridge, dry bath, and preferably the sleeping area separate from the living area. So mid bath mid kitchen.

I’m hoping to make a trip to Southland RV after the first of the year.

nmc79 is offline   Reply With Quote