New and Yearning to own a small camper from Md., VA and DC - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-19-2015, 05:36 PM   #1

Name: Byron
Trailer: Want to buy small camper
Washington, D.C.
New and Yearning to own a small camper from Md., VA and DC

Hello dear group of fellow travelers and adventure lovers~!~

Please help me find and buy a small camper to pull behind my car as I return to Texas after four years in Washington, DC.

I am looking for a teardrop, egg or other brand. USED. I cannot afford to buy new this time. Just looking for a fair deal. I will come pick it up. Must be road-worthy and mechanically sound as a Timex watch that just keeps ticking.

I can only spend $2,000 to $3,000.

Please help~!~

Byron (Brushy) White
202-569-2647
brushy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 05:50 PM   #2

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
There are lots of people here willing to help. Tell us about the vehicle you will be using to pull your trailer.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 08:04 AM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Welcome, Brushy!

I think you need to prepare yourself for sticker shock. Entry prices for used egg trailers that are mechanically sound, everything working, and ready to travel start around double your budget. And that's even true if they are 30 years old. A $2-3000 fiberglass trailer of any age is almost certainly going to require significant mechanical and cosmetic work.

You can review classified ads and archives of recent sales here and at Molded Fiberglass Travel Trailers For Sale | Fiberglass RV's For Sale to get a better idea of current prices. You're entering the market at a time when demand, and prices, are peaking.

The silver lining is that molded fiberglass trailers hold their value very well. I've had mine 3 years and it's worth more now than what I paid. I, too, had a fairly modest budget and thought I was limited to a used tent trailer. I stumbled across my Scamp (in the fall, when prices are lower) and had to stretch my budget by about $1500 to buy it. It has turned out to be one of the best decisions I've ever made!

Good luck!
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 08:35 AM   #4

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Byron, I have managed to purchase six Trillium trailers, all in your price range, (OK, one was $3100). But I am in the second best Canadian Provence for deals on fibreglass trailers. I also shop every day, twice a day. Even though my wife has forbidden me from buying any more. Really good deals go fast. So, if you see one, then get in your car and start driving, then call to see if it is still available.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 09:56 AM   #5

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Be fair Dave, the OP wants, "Must be road-worthy and mechanically sound as a Timex watch that just keeps ticking".

I used to live in the D.C. area and small RV's are scarce to non-existent.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 10:11 AM   #6

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Bob, the three 4500's I purchased were all camping ready, (minus cushions on one). It is my 1300's that are wrecks, but the worst one of those only cost me $100:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...now-61473.html

But like I said, I live in a good place to buy trailers.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 01:16 PM   #7

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to bill&sandra
Have a sweet little pampered 13' 1985 Scamp standard who will be available April 27th. $4800. I can send pics if interested. We'll be at bluebonnet Rv rally in bandera if you're gonna be close to there. She resides in Grand Prairie, between Dallas n ft worth. New axle, faucets, flooring, rear basket, curtains.
bill&sandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 06:54 PM   #8

Name: Byron
Trailer: Want to buy small camper
Washington, D.C.
Thanks to everyone and introducing me to the fascinating world of RV travel Micro size. I am happy I found this group.

Raring to get on the road again.

---byron white
washington, dc
"Brushy"
brushy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 10:56 AM   #9

Name: Katy
Trailer: Burro 13ft
Washington, D.C.
Hi Brushy. Happy to see another enthusiast who lives in DC. I just purchased a 13ft Burro. If you ever want to check it out let me know.
freshairfiend is offline   Reply With Quote