New boler owner ... Jumping in head first - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-07-2014, 11:22 PM   #1

Name: Cody
Trailer: 1975 Boler
British Columbia
Registry
New boler owner ... Jumping in head first

Hi Everyone I have been lurking about on these forums for a while now decided to join up and share. My wife and I were set on a fiberglass trailer after looking at a trillium locally (overpriced for what it needed IMO). After searching a for what seemed like a long time, my wife and I decided we would rather have a project unit than a moderate fixer uper or fully restored unit, and then this gem entered out lives. Not sure if its good or bad yet but I will post up some pictures of the progress later on.

beater_bug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 11:30 PM   #2

Name: Sarah
Trailer: 1984 13' Scamp named "Ramblin Rose"
Texas
Registry
Projects are fun! I can't wait to see what you do with yours
sarahspins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 11:43 PM   #3

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
Looks like it has good bones. Can't wait to see your progress pics.
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 12:26 AM   #4

Name: Cathy
Trailer: Escape 19' sold, 21' August 2015
POBox 1267, Denison, Texas
Welcome, beater bug. Whew, what a deal. But we have seen what can be done. I predict that it will turn out beautifully.
Cathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 05:34 AM   #5
Commercial Member

Name: Mike
Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
Hey coty looks great a little zep and some carefully placed decals and she'll look like new but seriously I and many others here have had trailers in much worse condition and brought them back to life yours looks like a piece of cake
Mikmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 06:20 AM   #6
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
The peeling paint is just skin deep, it looks like it is a good foundation to start with. Have funm I am looking forward to your plan and the build.
Make sure you read lots and know that the interior cabinets are structural, they hold the shape of the "egg" and prevent the roof and walls colapsing.
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 07:01 AM   #7

British Columbia
Registry
Here are the interior shots

Gave it a pressure wash bath
Old 08-08-2014, 07:16 AM   #8

British Columbia
Registry
Day 1 Demolition
I didnt take very good pics of all the contraptions the PO had made to hold various items, but they were heavy and cumbersome additions.

Way too warm for me inside, but still plugging away anyhow

Old 08-08-2014, 07:17 AM   #9

British Columbia
Registry

This gem was screwed to the cabinet door, quite a unique approach to heating. They tapped into the LP line with a nylon T, no hose clamps or anything being used

Trip to the dump was in order

Love this tool more everyday
Old 08-08-2014, 07:19 AM   #10

British Columbia
Registry

Quite a bit of rot is present

Stripping off the ensolite, It had detached in most of the compound curves and under the windows there were large pockets of water so out it came

Decided it was time to get some air flow going so out came the windows

Old 08-08-2014, 07:37 AM   #11

Name: Carl
Trailer: 1994 Scamp 16
Arkansas
Cody,
Great pictures! Thank you for posting them! It appears that you have a handyman's dream!! Ha! Can't wait to see the finished Camper!!!
Good luck!

If you don't know where you are going, you might wind up someplace else! Yogi Berra
Nut501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 08:10 AM   #12

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by beater_bug View Post

Stripping off the ensolite, It had detached in most of the compound curves and under the windows there were large pockets of water so out it came
Before you throw out the ensolite, consider saving some for others that need some for repairs. Barbe in WV is looking for a piece right now.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post475365

Looking forward to seeing what you do.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 09:30 AM   #13

British Columbia
Registry
Unfortunately a lot of the ensolite is gone already I really wasnt very nice about removal and honestly never really thought there would be people looking for it, but the front and rear sections under the windows are still in place and I think the wall behind the closet up to the window (its under a tarp at the moment cant remember where i left off), if that helps anyone out still i would happily save it though.
Old 08-08-2014, 10:49 AM   #14

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
Welcome to the forum Cody. Can't wait to see what you do with it. Looks like good bones though.
Old 08-08-2014, 11:39 AM   #15
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
A real word of caution Cody. You are removing all the structural supports. You will need to replace them or the roof and walls will sag considerably. Please take a look at my blog for some details "Click Here" Proud Canadian With what you have removed so far I would definitly be installing some temporary supports, you can see what I used in the blog. It is also important to maintain the correct shape so the door fits when you put it back together.
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 01:19 PM   #16

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Well looks like you are off to the races! Nice thing about a project in rough shape, hard to mess it up if it is already a mess.

Loved seeing the pictures.

Working at 100* F is pretty dedicated (or crazy) but hey if it works for you I bet you will remember the experience that's for sure.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 03:03 PM   #17

British Columbia
Registry
There hasnt been much support inside this egg for some time, if you look close at the pics of the upper cabinet above the support the fiberglass has broken upwards, The lower section of the closet has also buckled and broken and the section of the kitchen counter buckled around the couch module. The Drivers rear corner has separated from the shell, I can only speculate how long ago. The PO was still using it in this condition evidently. They scabbed some steel on it and kept on their merry way. The door is far from closing these days but Im not too worried about the the rest until I get the floor situation under control.
Old 08-08-2014, 03:14 PM   #18

British Columbia
Registry
The frame is not in stellar shape and will be addressed as well.

Not the most ideal situation but it is holding the rear of the shell up quite well

A larger portion of the floor removed

Some axle modifications done by PO a 1.5" lift block... on the drivers side to make the egg appear level

With the shell leveled out this is the Pass side

And the drivers side
Old 08-08-2014, 05:36 PM   #19
Commercial Member

Name: Mike
Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
Coty one of the advantages to removing the ensolite which I did on my love bug is it will give you the option to remove all the exterior rivets and you can fiberglass all your cabinetry directly to the walls . Carefully plan everything in advance where you would like supporting systems including curtain rods , extra shelving before you recover the walls. One of the things I did in the love bug which made the interior seem much more roomier was to shorten the closet and kitchen by 6 inches and increase the bed size by that amount .you now have the options to make it your way as you have a clean slate to work with
Mikmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 07:58 PM   #20

British Columbia
Registry
Im not sure if glassing the cabinets in permanently is something I'm into. I am thinking the only real mod to the internals I am going to be doing is the addition of a front dinette. As our family is currently just the 2 of us, it makes the most sense. We can leave the rear dinette in bed form while camping. I also intend of adding all LED lighting, a new stove and sink and installing a fridge, and possibly a few other tweaks as i see fit.

Tags
boler