New Casita... Awning? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-10-2016, 11:39 AM   #15

Trailer: 16 Scamp, 17 Casita, 21Bigfoot now
Registry
To me, it depends on the convenience verses the cost. We love our awning on the 3rd fiberglass camper. (All 3 have had). Wouldn't be without it.

Old 07-10-2016, 11:39 AM   #16

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Casita
North Carolina
Registry
I have a 2010 S. D. with the awning and I am very glad I do. The awning is a one person job to open and close and very easy to do so. As far as wind goes, if you think there is going to be wind more then just a strong breeze don't put it out.

Old 07-10-2016, 12:01 PM   #17

Name: bob
Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Our 1996 Casita has the old Dometic awning that can be a little challenging to open and close. But the case sets tight against the camper and is sealed to it so rain can't get behind it. When the awning is out the legs set on the ground and are staked down. I also use guy ropes off the outer corners.
Old 07-10-2016, 01:30 PM   #18

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2010 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe
Wisconsin
Can't help with the awning but we also have a 09 Pilot FWD pulling a Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe. According to the manual with 2 occupants it is rated at 4500lbs/450lbs for tongue load, more than enough to handle what you have2500+lbs/365lbs. We had a 2007 Scamp 16 and despite being much lighter, pulled harder than the Casita. This is likely because of the larger wheels.

The Pilot was all set for the 7pin hookup and just needed the brake control, which just plugs right in to the hookup behind a panel on left side of drivers foot and ridiculously easy to install. As far as a pull vehicle the Pilot is great, just push in the D3 button.

With a roof rack for the kayak, a bike rack intalled on the back of the Casita, and inside dry storage, I don't see much advantage getting the truck
Old 07-10-2016, 04:17 PM   #19

Name: Steve
Trailer: Casita 17
Florida
The Casita awning:

The Casita awning: easy to use,well built, don't want it until you need it kind of thing. I thought it will cause extra wind drag and be difficult to clean around. But the ease of use and especially when it rains while you go back and forth to the truck is something you will really like. Yea a tarp of some kind will work and save you some money, but once you have an awning and use it a lot, it will become a very handy tool. Now if you know the wind is gonna be blowing 50 knots,no one needs to tell you to roll it up.
Old 07-10-2016, 04:54 PM   #20

Name: Mike
Trailer: Casita - on order
Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsedwebt View Post
Some other options are "bag" awnings and "rope and pole" awnings. I custom did a type of "rope and pole" awning. If I were to do it again I would use rip stop nylon instead of indoor/outdoor fabric. The cost is not that great - a couple $10 extendable camping tarp poles from WallyWorld, some rope, a couple 18" lag bolts to secure to the ground, vinyl "rope" or "welt" from a sailboat supply shop, etc.
Thanks for the picture. I was not fully aware of that style of awning.
Also no thanks for the picture - my wife is now wanting to decorate the outside as well as the inside of ours!
Old 07-10-2016, 04:56 PM   #21

Name: Mike
Trailer: Casita - on order
Oklahoma
Thanks

Thanks again for all of the input.
Great info on pulling with a pilot.
Old 07-10-2016, 05:13 PM   #22

Name: Valerie
Trailer: 2016 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Mississippi
Changed my mind on the awning -- again!

Our 17 ft. Spirit Deluxe is ordered and due on Sept. 7. We visited Rice and placed the order a while back and did not order the awning (although we did order most of the rest of the extras). Then we started waffling. After a demo of the ease of rolling out the awning last week in Glacier NP, even if only partway as a cover for the door entry, we decided to go ahead and add it on. Hopefully this will be the only change to our order! I think we'll end up with the awning extended about 4 feet as well as a Clam screen room to hang out in. We live in Mississippi and will likely travel a good bit in the southeast and the bugs are bad!

If the awning was cheaper one could just say "what the heck" and just add it on without thought. But since it's a pricey option you do feel like you need to determine if it's a need or not. I'm still halfway conflicted but I think we'll go ahead and order tomorrow. Good luck on your decision!
Old 07-10-2016, 05:22 PM   #23

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 Std
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vtec View Post
Can't help with the awning but we also have a 09 Pilot FWD pulling a Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe. According to the manual with 2 occupants it is rated at 4500lbs/450lbs...
Wondering if we are confusing our acronyms…I understood FWD as front wheel drive (as opposed to AWD, all wheel drive). Some people prefer 2WD and 4WD, which is what the 2009 Pilot owner's manual uses. But just to be clear, FWD (or 2WD) is rated 3500/350, while AWD (or 4WD) is rated 4500/450. Here's what the 2009 manual says, identical to my 2011:
Click image for larger version

Name:	2009PilotTowing.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	353.6 KB
ID:	97297

I believe the 4WD version has a larger transmission cooler, hence the higher rating. It should be adequate to pull a Casita 17D.
Old 07-10-2016, 05:43 PM   #24

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2010 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe
Wisconsin
Yes, I did confuse that, sorry, some of the stuff I own is FWD, like my ATV, which stands for four wheel drive, but with SUV's it's AWD or FWD/front wheel drive. And in the north, Pilot 2WD/Front Wheel Drives are rare. My Bad.
Old 07-11-2016, 08:19 AM   #25

Name: Gary & Betty
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Florida
Thumbs up Get The Awning!

We have a previously loved 2013 17' SD. It has an awning and we love it. It is so easy to extend and retract. We normally keep it out about 3 to 4 feet to cover our little work table that we set up by the outside electrical plug. The support poles latch right to the side wall of the Casita.

If we're extending it all the way out, then there ground stakes (included) for the poles and tie-downs with stakes (that we purchased). If the weather looks bad, just roll it up.

While we were hunting for our Casita, an awning was a key factor. And the price to buy one and then have it installed after factory is FAR more than getting the factory installed one. Our vote is to bite-the-bullet on the cost of the addition and get the awning. We love ours and think you will also!!
Old 07-12-2016, 02:26 AM   #26

Name: Brenda
Trailer: Past Boler owner, looking at Escape
Alberta
I currently have an Escape 17B on order for next April, but I've had an Aliner (no awning) for 12 years. What am I most looking forward to with the Escape?
#3 - Shower
#2 - Not crawling on the floor to look in the fridge!
#1 - Awning!!!! Love to be outside, rain or shine.
Old 07-12-2016, 07:41 AM   #27

Name: Lynn
Trailer: 2013 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17, purchased from original owners May, 2016
Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironbutt View Post
I have used my awning and find that it is invaluable for shade and also for rain protection. I usually only extend it about 3 ft and use the body supports and that is all that is needed to shelter the opened screen door from rain. I only put it out all the way once in a while.
In that short mode, using the body supports, is it safe enough to leave open in rough weather?

So far I am impressed with the Fiamma awning our new-to-us Casita came with. Seems like an high-quality unit.

But we'll probably also get a screen house.

/Mr Lynn

"Hillbilly at Harvard"

Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass

Saturdays 9am - 1pm Eastern WHRB-FM, 95.3 FM, Cambridge, MA Streaming at WHRB.org
Mr Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 08:15 AM   #28

Name: Tom and Stephanie
Trailer: Casita 17' Freedom Deluxe
Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie Rachal View Post
Our 17 ft. Spirit Deluxe is ordered and due on Sept. 7. We visited Rice and placed the order a while back and did not order the awning (although we did order most of the rest of the extras). Then we started waffling. After a demo of the ease of rolling out the awning last week in Glacier NP, even if only partway as a cover for the door entry, we decided to go ahead and add it on. Hopefully this will be the only change to our order! I think we'll end up with the awning extended about 4 feet as well as a Clam screen room to hang out in. We live in Mississippi and will likely travel a good bit in the southeast and the bugs are bad!

If the awning was cheaper one could just say "what the heck" and just add it on without thought. But since it's a pricey option you do feel like you need to determine if it's a need or not. I'm still halfway conflicted but I think we'll go ahead and order tomorrow. Good luck on your decision!
Sounds like you'll have all bases covered. Some campers anchor their awning to the picnic table or to stakes with bungee cords.

There's no end to what one can spend in order to live like a homeless person....no?

Tags
awning, casita