New Casita... Awning? - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-12-2016, 07:28 AM   #29

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Casita
Connecticut
Short Mode

Hey Mr Lynn,
I've read on one of the forums that there have been incidents of the awning ripping the attachment hardware off the body. Not sure how far the awning was extended. The awning is a great option but caution is key whenever deploying it. Peace

Old 08-06-2016, 06:52 PM   #30

Name: Steven
Trailer: In the market
North Carolina
Question about Ezy Awning

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick crawford View Post
there's the cost of the factory awning and the possible damage to the trailer should a serious wind come along. the main reason i avoided the awning was adding that much weight to the already heavy side of the trailer up high. i have a bag awning from busdepot.com (it's designed for a vw camper van). less than 200 bucks or so and packs up very small (fits into a 6" plastic fence post mounted to the rear bumper). it is a bit of a chore to set up solo but, with 2 it's about like erecting a big tent.
Do you have the awning attached to the trailer? I looked at the website and figured that the suction cups would be the only method that might work, other than the standalone option. Do you find that the awning is secure with the guy ropes in most weather conditions? Thanks in advance for any info you can provide.

I'm thinking of purchasing a Casita and debating on the awning option, myself. I once had an awning on a popup camper that was ripped clean off by a sudden burst of wind, so the option of a relatively cheap separate awning makes a lot of sense to me.

Old 08-06-2016, 07:20 PM   #31

Name: Brent
California
Awning

Go with the factory awning,
Old 08-06-2016, 08:18 PM   #32

Name: Tom and Stephanie
Trailer: Casita 17' Freedom Deluxe
Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brentsdeal View Post
Go with the factory awning,
If awning then factory. BUT we prefer the CLAM standalone screen porch. The attached awning is good for sun, marginal for rain, no good for wind but quick and easy to deploy and retrack. (You could get both)
Old 08-07-2016, 10:01 AM   #33

Name: Steve
Trailer: Casita 17
Florida
I had the same concerns about the factory Casita awning, the extra weight and wind drag type thoughts. But, the ease of use and the quality of the equipment really makes a difference. The problems with high winds apply to both a hanging tarp or something like it and a a deployed awning. The both will have problems but the awning can be rolled up in a moment. We have had ours for two years and enjoy the easy use. A little common sense with an eye towards the weather goes a long way. If it is raining and it is time to pack up you have a nice staging area and when it is time to go roll it up is quick and easy.

It's raining like the end of the world here in Lecanto Florida.

Steve
Old 08-07-2016, 10:08 AM   #34

Name: p@
South Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Do you have the awning attached to the trailer? I looked at the website and figured that the suction cups would be the only method that might work, other than the standalone option. Do you find that the awning is secure with the guy ropes in most weather conditions? Thanks in advance for any info you can provide.

I'm thinking of purchasing a Casita and debating on the awning option, myself. I once had an awning on a popup camper that was ripped clean off by a sudden burst of wind, so the option of a relatively cheap separate awning makes a lot of sense to me.
i use the suction cups to attach to the casita. i also use guy cords over the top ends and stake them behind. and yes...it's secure in "most" weather situations. will a strong wind cause problems?...yes, just like any other awning. however, chance of damage to the trailer is practically none.

p@

Tags
awning, casita