New Compact Jr owner and rebuilder - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 05-11-2012, 06:35 AM   #15

Name: John
Trailer: 1972 Compact Jr.
Georgia
Registry
Rick, It does appear to be on the inside because it is located above the wooden bolsters but it is actually on the outside and has survived a torrential rain without any leakage. Thanks , John

Old 05-11-2012, 11:35 AM   #16

Trailer: 13 ft Compact II
Washington
Registry
Nice Job!

Hi John,
Really like what you've done. The exterior looks great, too. I like the color sceme and black outline graphic- What paint did you use on the exterior?

Nice clean work on the inside, and you eliminated the kitchen clutter by cooking outside.

Did you have to do anything to the frame or front tongue area?

I'd be interested in ordering the awning set up you mentioned. Do you have the details on where you got it?

Enjoy it!

Fran
74 compactII

Old 05-11-2012, 05:51 PM   #17

Name: John
Trailer: 1972 Compact Jr.
Georgia
Registry
Hi Francene, Thanks for the compliments, I am ashamed to admit I painted it with regular house paint and a brush and roller. I can spray paint fairly well but automotive paint has reached pricing levels that will put you in cardiac arrest. I also wanted to try my paint scheme with this method first to see how it looked in real life. , I may paint it with urethane later on. here is the link to the awning found on ebay. You will also need the rails for it, they are available from any online rv parts dealer.
COLEMAN BAG AWNING POP UP CAMPER AWNING 8' | eBay
The tongue had already been lowered by welding another similar size tongue on top of the old one which keeps the front end nice and low so the rv doesn't trap air and try to wig wag. It appears that someone also had braced the left side of the frame right where it goes under the fiberglass body by welding a plate the same size as the frame over it for a distance of about 10 inches. I try to limit my tongue weight to appx 100 lbs by the use of plastic containers which i can slide back and forth inside the camper when towing. , John
Old 05-11-2012, 06:38 PM   #18

Name: Diane
Trailer: u-haul ct13
Virginia
John, welcome! You will love this site! And I love what you did to your little trailer! Thank you for sharing your photos with us. Especially like the color scheme. Also noticed if you wanted to you (rainy day) could put your coleman stove inside on that nice counter top, and you have a big fridge! How luxurious. Enjoy your camping days.
Old 05-11-2012, 07:24 PM   #19

Name: Bobbie
Trailer: 2011 Escape 15A
Washington
Registry
I turned my bed sideways, since I am not so tall that it matters, and it is easier to get in and out that way. But lots of people like the big original bed. I like how open your interior looks.
Old 09-12-2012, 11:15 PM   #20

Name: Robin
Trailer: Compact Jr. 1971
Washington
I just bought a 1971 Compact Jr for $900. It needs some work. Has a crack in the front. I can fix fiberglass, no problem, but is water got in what is in there. Crack is on outside shell only. The bed looks big. Is there any specs out there?

Any pitfalls to look at before I go camping it next month?
Old 09-13-2012, 12:43 AM   #21

Trailer: 13 ft Compact II
Washington
Registry
Hi Robin,
Congratulations on your aquisition of a Compact Jr. I have the Compact II, which is a little different, but check the flooring plywood to see if rot has set in, since you say water has been coming inside. Check out the metal frame and tongue juncture; I've read these Jr's have had some cracks reported in these areas.

Good luck!
Fran
Old 09-13-2012, 07:50 AM   #22

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
I second reinforcing the tongue to frame joint. I had 24" long reinforcing plates welded onto each side of mine as a precaution. The original design looks like it expected less than 100 lbs tongue weight and, by the time a battery, some water and the usual "stuff" is added, it's hard to keep it that low. Plus it is almost 40 years old.
BTW: The original "clamp" type hitch is considered unsafe by many. I replaced mine at the same time I had the frame reinforced.
Old 09-13-2012, 08:02 AM   #23

Name: Tom
Trailer: 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Texas
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
A previous owner altered the tongue and frame on mine. It looks much stronger now than the original. Our bed is 72" x 70' and we sleep with our feet toward the front window. Our CJ weighs 1400 lbs. ready to camp. We have the 3 burner cook top; window air conditioner (Texas summer), 4 cu. ft. dorm fridge; porta potty; but, no battery, oven, or furnace. We love ours.

Compact :: first sight of 1973 Compact Jr. picture by tomNjo - Photobucket
Old 09-13-2012, 11:55 AM   #24

Washington
Thank you for your replies. We take possession this weekend. I will indeed crawl under the rig and look for rot. Check out the floors, but I didn't know about the tongue issues. Does the trailer lights conform to modern wiring harnesses? One issue I have to fix, propane tubing. the previous owner was weird about propane. It was not enough to disconnect the tank, but he pulled out all of the tubing. That should be fun! Also, where does the battery go? What about the 120v and water tank. what to look for. I didn't see these things when I looked at it at first glance.

So many questions. I own a 31' motorhome for real traveling, but we want to get back to state/national park and other types of camping.
Old 09-13-2012, 12:54 PM   #25

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Good luck on your new project.
As a suggestion, buy an inexpensive set of magnetic stick-on trailer lights to take with you so you don't have to worry about existing wiring. Harbor Freight has them on sale for about $10.
Actually, as the "Convenience Group", that included a bettery, was an option, yours may never have had a battery or even 12 Volt lights, or they ran off the Tow vehicle battery. There was even a LP gas light option.
Basically, what you see is what you get.
Good Luck
Old 09-13-2012, 02:24 PM   #26

Washington
There is a name plate with an input for low potential power only. My album here has pics, don't know yet how to access them on a post.
Old 09-13-2012, 05:18 PM   #27

Name: Tom
Trailer: 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Texas
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
The lower cabinet under the sink should have a coiled power cord that exits through a small door on the under side of the CJ for shore power. My propane supply is a flex tube from the tank and regulator that connects to a black iron pipe that runs under the street side and turns 90 degrees and enters under the cook top. The original wiring for exterior lights was through a 4 flat plug due to no battery or brakes.
Old 09-13-2012, 09:16 PM   #28

Washington
That's a really big help...thanks. I am going to really look at things Saturday. Does it have a battery charging system? I have an extra converter/charger from my motorhome. I'm assuming the 120 is converted to 12.