New Escapers - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-13-2012, 11:07 AM   #1

Name: Abby
Trailer: Airstream Bambi
Maine
New Escapers

My wife and I have found ourselves with an opportunity we can't pass up. We have sold our house and most of our belongings and this would be a great time to buy a little bigger camper and hit the road. I can see that finding this web site could be a huge advantage. We currently own an Airstream Bambi 16 but think that getting a little bigger would make it more livable for a long period of time. We have a 6 cylinder Tacoma and searching for ideas for what to get. I talked this morning with a guy from Escape Trailers about their 5th wheel (which won't work with our truck) and their 19 footer. They look good with the biggest disadvantage being that they are more than 3000 miles away. We live in Maine. I'm hoping someone can point me to some other high quality, light weight trailers that could be pulled with my Tacoma. I look forward to pouring over the information on this forum. Doug
revilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 12:13 PM   #2

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Parkliner ParkLiner Fiberglass Ultralight Travel Trailers -
Lil Snoozy Small Travel Trailer: Camper: Smoakin Concepts Composites
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 12:20 PM   #3

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on selling your house! I, too, am pouring over all the information on the website. The best I can tell is that all the units are of a pretty good and solid quality especially compared to the stickbuilt. The Bambi is cute though but I was looking at it on the internet and for 2 people for a long period, it would be very tight.

Have you seen any of the fiberglass units at least from the outside while camping/rving with your Bambi? And, what particular needs will you be addressing in a unit? I think more than a couple can customize the units too. You have Scamp (MN), Casita (TX), Eggcamper (MI), Lil' Snoozy (SC), Parkliner (NC) and that is all I can think of at the moment.

The Escape does look nice and they are the only ones that offer the 19 foot travel trailer versus the 17, 16 and 13 that others are offering, I think. Still learning. These trailers are small as we have had a few different kinds of RVs so make sure you look hard at the measurements of the units especially if you are taller, over 6 foot or so. I have found it useful to find photos of people inside the units to get a feel for the size.

Happy shopping! And learning!
Cathy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 01:07 PM   #4

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I sold my Eggcamper and bought a Lance 1575 seen here Lance 1575 light weight travel trailer - Lance 1575
I did an analysis of this camper compared to the Escape 19' and bought the Lance. I too am on the east coast and the delivery and customs and the $$ price difference was too great in relation to the new Lance 1575. The Lance is bigger than your Bambi but weight is about 200 lbs less.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 01:47 PM   #5

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Eggcamper / Chevy S-10
Registry
If you're thinking of spending extended periods in your new camper I'd suggest going as roomy as you can. It takes a unique couple indeed to be content living in small units like ours for any length of time. If you've already used the Bambi for long periods and found it manageable, then my hat is off to you and please disregard this advice.
Ray N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 03:26 PM   #6

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
hello and welcome!! you are lucky to have already had experience in a small trailer--that is half the battle. if you were comfortable in your 16' bambi, then i would suggest checking out l'il snoozy and parkliner trailers. i like the looks of both of them, and from what info we've received here on this forum, both owners are VERY accommodating about making it to suit.
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 03:55 PM   #7

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
I wish I could escape, and welcome from another Toyota driver.
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 04:19 PM   #8

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Bambi

Cathy,

We looked at the Bambi before getting our Scamp. There were two issues: first it was very expensive, second it was very heavy.

Since it was so heavy it meant we'd have to get a new tow vehicle.

As to the size of the Bambi, we felt it would be perfectly fine for the two of us. We find the Scamp adequate as well though I still think it could be better configured for two than even ours is.

If you don't get along well, it probably will not matter how big the rig is that you buy. We bought our motorhome from a couple that took one trip in it and she told him he could keep it but she was never going in it again.

Basically as you travel around America it is the two of you. Hopefully you'll start off close and grow even closer together during the great adventure.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 04:21 PM   #9

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
I'd keep the Bambi !!!!
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 05:50 PM   #10

Name: Jon
Trailer: Escape 21C
New York
Registry
Why not "Escape" & after picking up a trailer in Chilliwack, tour the beautiful Southwest? Worked for me!
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 06:02 PM   #11

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Four Rigs

We've traveled for 11 years in 4 different rigs from 15.5 feet to 32 feet including 5 loops of the USA and all of Canada.

I can say that they length of the rig, the volume of the rig, the amount of stuff we can carry and how much we spend has very little to do with the joy of the trip.

There is so much fun to be had, so much to see and the marvelous sharing of our space and each other. It's a wonder.

Certainly one should make the best choice they can but what ever the choice, it all pales compared to the trip and lifestyle.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 06:20 PM   #12

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I had been looking at the 16' Bambi (affording it only in my dreams) and the bed was 48 inches wide. I would think an improvement in the size of the bed might add to the harmony? We have seen some bad hail storms and aluminum does not fare well in that situation.
Cathy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 06:37 PM   #13

Name: george
Trailer: FunFinder
Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by revilo View Post
My wife and I have found ourselves with an opportunity we can't pass up. We have sold our house and most of our belongings and this would be a great time to buy a little bigger camper and hit the road. I can see that finding this web site could be a huge advantage. We currently own an Airstream Bambi 16 but think that getting a little bigger would make it more livable for a long period of time. We have a 6 cylinder Tacoma and searching for ideas for what to get. I talked this morning with a guy from Escape Trailers about their 5th wheel (which won't work with our truck) and their 19 footer. They look good with the biggest disadvantage being that they are more than 3000 miles away. We live in Maine. I'm hoping someone can point me to some other high quality, light weight trailers that could be pulled with my Tacoma. I look forward to pouring over the information on this forum. Doug
In the grand scheme of this project, perhaps it would be worthwhile to sell the Taco and buy a different TV that might open up some options for you in trailers ? The main reason I found this forum is because I am researching the Escape5. It it towable with a Nissan Frontier, which is similar to a Toyota Taco. Perhaps you could sell the Toyota, and replace it with a Frontier for little additional money. The Escape 5 is looking very appealing to me. Talk to some of the owners of it and get their take on it. Hopefully Alf will chime in here shortly and share his thoughts with you on the Frontier/Escape 5 combo.

george
gmw photos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 07:09 PM   #14

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by revilo View Post
We have a 6 cylinder Tacoma and searching for ideas for what to get. I talked this morning with a guy from Escape Trailers about their 5th wheel (which won't work with our truck) and their 19 footer. Doug
Why won't the Tacoma work with the Escape 5th wheel? Are the bigger compact trucks now too big?
Old 02-13-2012, 07:25 PM   #15

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: revilo... What model Taco do you own??? There are several Toyo. owners on the escape forum.org towing both the 19'er and the 5.0. I wouldn't give up the 5th. wheel and the Nissan Frontier combo. It's all in the hitch installation. I don't know about the plastic bed on the Taco's tho?
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
earned my stripes.jpg   Coffee's ready.jpg  

Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 07:27 PM   #16

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
I just returned from Sebring Scamp Camp. There were two Tacomas there that were pulling Scamp 19s. One of them had the soft bed. They both built square frames which were securely bolted to four points of the truck frame and they then attached the ball assy. to their frame. One person used used 2X2X1/4 square tubing the other person used 1/4" angle iron to make their frame. Both of these hitches took up much less space in the bed than the Scamp hitch takes up in my Frontier truck bed.
Scamp says their hitch won't work in a soft bed Tocoma but that does not mean a hitch can't be fabricated to safely tow a Scamp 19.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 07:29 PM   #17

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
Maybe the Escape people thought you said Tundra?
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 01:32 AM   #18

Name: Cathy
Trailer: Escape 19' sold, 21' August 2015
POBox 1267, Denison, Texas
Doug, if you are interested in an Escape, one can probably be delivered to your general region. That has been done by quite a few people. They put two or three together so that you can split the cost. You would still have to go a good distance but not nearly to Chilliwack. You might have to wait a while to get such an arrangement but it is possible. There have been deliveries to several points. Escape does almost any customizing you want, particularly good insulation with thermal windows, which you might like in Maine.
Cathy
Cathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 04:59 AM   #19

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: Greg H...Even the Toyota Tundra and Nissan Titan can be made to tow an Escape 5.0. The critical measurements are truck cab rear window to hitch plate center(axle) and height of box rails from the ground at the axle. Our 5.0 was made with a 3" axle lift to allow a fullsize GMC Sierra shortbox pickup. We had 3-4" clearance on a 90* turn and the truck stood 51" tall at the axle. Our new 4X4 Nissan Frontier 4dr. Crew Cab has 2-3" clearance on the 90* turns and stands 49" tall at the axle.
When refitting the 16K Husky slider hitch the RV Tech had to drop the hitch head to allow for the shallower box and the tonneau cover to be used. When we got the trailer out of storage we had to let the pin box out by one set of bolt holes for a level tow and a bit more clearance from the cab. Thankfully there are lots of adjustments of both hitch and pin box.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
adjusted pin box.jpg  
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 08:42 AM   #20

Registry
Okay, I did a quick Google search and it seems that the plastic bed of the Tacoma might be the problem. Something about compression of the plastic by the hitch causing too much looseness, and maybe not strong enough? It does seem that some people have figured a way around the problem, so if you really want a 5er' you might want to research it a little more and see what can be done.