New for Bigfoot or Such - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-29-2015, 08:02 AM   #1

Name: Bob
Trailer: In The Market
Ontario
Cool New for Bigfoot or Such

Hi Hello..my name is Bob..they call me Hollywood cause I work in the film business ...in transport..so I drive tv and movie people around in circles..crew and actors and producers and such like..interesting?...my wife is a flight attendant ..so ..seen a few places..got pic's!...just worked on a film here in Toronto with the BIRDMAN..Shot a film called SPOTLIGHT..Def check it out!!..Anyway...retiring soon and just getting interested in owning a travel trailer...a BIGFOOT OR BOLER OR THERE ABOUT's..already done...not a handy man at all..known to change a lightbulb or two back in the day..any sugestions?..Thanks...Bob
Hollywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 08:32 AM   #2

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Welcome to the group Hollywood Bob....

As Boler and BigFoot trailers are sorta at the opposite ends of the FGRV spectrum, start out by telling us a bit more about what you want etc.
1. How big do you envision your FGRV to be? They range from 13' to at least 25'.
2. How many do you want to sleep? Both peeps and pets please.
3. What are your "Must Have" amenities? Toilet, bathroom, shower etc.
4. Are there any age limitation? The FGRV, not the occupants....
5. What will you be towing with? Your tow vehicle can have a substantial bearing on choices.
6. What is your approximate upper budget limit? While most Bolers seem to be well under $10K CDN, newer Bigfoots can run up to 5 times that.
7. How far from Toronto can you travel to look/buy?

Fill us in and we will try to help out

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 08:15 AM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
And if you're not sure exactly what you want or can afford, two good places to kick some virtual tires are (1) the classified ads and archives here, and (2) the ads and archives at fiberglass-rv- 4sale.com. Good luck!
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 10:17 AM   #4

Trailer: 1974 Boler and 1988 Bigfoot
Go Bigfoot!!! an older 17.5 would be perfect for you. Bolers are cute but I pulled mine from Bc Canada to Disneyland and back every nut and bolt inside were loose. Same trip in a 87 17.5 Bigfoot totally different story. Now own a 1999 2500 21ft RB
Rick M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 12:12 PM   #5

Can't say that I have ever, ever heard of "every nut and bolt coming loose" inside a Boler or any other FGRV, nor can I understand a reason for that other than, perhaps, tires that were out of balance.

Can you offer more information on this phenom?

Are there others that have had this problem???? None of my 13's every did this, a Scamp, Lil' Bigfoot, nor my 42 y.o. Hunter, all of which have gone on very long trips.

BTW: I didn't know that the 17.5' dated back to 1987, I thought that they were still the lighter 17' ers. I guess I will have to be careful when looking.

Old 02-14-2015, 02:07 PM   #6

Yes the first Bigfoot was made in 1978 Same mould till I think 2003 As for all the loose bolts and nuts just some bad highways LOL It was just a comparison Boler to a Bigfoot they are a long way apart The is a cute trailer but the Bigfoot is the Best....
Old 02-14-2015, 03:20 PM   #7

Name: Francois
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry
reply for Bob.....17.5

my 94 center bath has the documentation page affixed inside the unit. The manufacturer calls it a B17CB....

when BF switched to the heavier 2500 models around 2005 is when the ".5" thing came up.....at least that what it looks like

the same model now is called a 2500B175CB

and BTW (for another poster) there ain't no such thing as "the best trailer"...there is only the best trailer that fits you!
Attached Thumbnails
aa.jpg  
Franswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 05:59 PM   #8

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franswa View Post

and BTW (for another poster) there ain't no such thing as "the best trailer"...there is only the best trailer that fits you!
Isn't that the truth!! BTW I am also aware of a few older Bigfoots that have had lots of nuts and bolts come loose on rough roads as well. As has been suggested how many come loose has more to do with the condition of the axle of the trailer regardless and how well the trailer has been maintained or not over the years than it does the make of the trailer.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 06:06 PM   #9

I really don't know if the 2500B175CB (17.5') is that much larger inside, but I do know that that extra .5' added a lot of weight when compared B17CB (17')
Donno why, maybe someone can shed some light on that issue.

Old 02-14-2015, 10:05 PM   #10

Bob the older 17 were lighter my 1987 DXL weighed 1875lb. When they changed the mould to the new 17.5 they are all 2500 all 4 season, The older ones were 1500 Remember Bigfoot,s are measured from bumper to hitch. So when you get a 17.5 or a 21ft or 25 ft that is their actual full length. My 21ftRb 2500 weighs 3600lb dry
Old 02-14-2015, 10:44 PM   #11

I think that all trailers are measured from hitch to bumper, but is the coach section of the 17.5' any bigger than the 17' shell or is the extra length all in the frame? I'm guessing that most of the extra weight comes from the 4 season package?

Old 02-15-2015, 09:31 AM   #12

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
Hi, Hollywood Bob, and welcome to the group!

With the warmer weather will come more rallies. You will learn a lot by stopping by for a few tours of the trailers. Just contact the Rally organizers for details. I've listed a couple of Ontario rallies including links to the FGRV discussion threads.

Eggfest Ontario, May 22-24 Eggfest Ontario
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...5-a-67436.html

Bolerama, July 10-12 Ontario Bolerama2015
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ama-67822.html

Here'e the link to the Rally Page - you will find even more rallies listed, for surrounding areas and US states. Rallies, Get-togethers, Molded Meets (Upcoming) - Fiberglass RV
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bigfoot