New (for me) Miti Lite - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-04-2011, 09:03 PM   #1

Name: John
Trailer: Mity-Lite
Washington
New (for me) Miti Lite

Hi everyone,

I bought a Miti-Lite (I think) last weekend from a person who restores old cars. It's in great condition and all fiberglass - weighs just 765 lbs. There is no brand name on it - and the windows are different from the other Miti-Lites I've seen. I just had a trailer hitch put on my VW Jetta TDI yesterday and have been towing my new trailer around - just getting a feel for it. This is my fourth rv having owned a Vixen (way too much work and $ for me), a vanagon, and Eurovan before. I've never owned a trailer before so this will take some getting used to.

It's always been a game for me to see how high I can get my fuel economy thus the Jetta/Miti-Lite combo. So far the results have been great with this little trailer. We are about to take it on a 10 day vacation. After that I will know how it really works for us.

Here are some pics...

Regards,
John
John_U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 09:10 PM   #2

Name: James
Trailer: Uhaul CT-13
Ohio
Registry
Pretty cool, that looks to be in awesome shape, and gullwing doors to boot.
Panoz77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 09:16 PM   #3

Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panoz77 View Post
Pretty cool, that looks to be in awesome shape, and gullwing doors to boot.
Yeah I like the gullwing door except for I have a wicked bump on my head from it
Old 08-04-2011, 09:23 PM   #4

Trailer: 1986 U-Haul CT13 ft
Registry
SWEEET! these things are so very cool - the epitome of minimalism and efficiency. yours is in phenomenal shape.
great find John - welcome aboard!
Paul Chet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 12:52 AM   #5

Washington
Thanks Paul. I am hoping this will work for us over the long term - and that the Jetta will prove to be an adequate tow vehicle.
Old 08-05-2011, 05:59 AM   #6

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Too cool John! Welcome to FiberglassRV too. We've had several members here that have owned Miti-Lites. Now we can add one more!
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 05:05 PM   #7

Washington
New Miti-Lite Maiden Voyage

My wife and I just got back from camping for over a week with our recently purchased Miti-Lite Trailer. All in all the trailer performed very well. We towed it behind our 2001 VW Jetta TDI.

The very best thing about this trailer is that it can, in fact, be towed by our four cylinder sedan up and down mountain passes with no trouble at all. On one particularly steep pass my speed was 53 mph - two mph below the speed limit. That was the most it slowed us down the whole trip. Otherwise, I never had a need to look for the slow lane - and on regular hills I hardly noticed the trailer at all.

Another great thing is that we averaged over 39 mpg (it's true, I double checked - the Jetta gets 45-50 on the highway without a trailer). We did this by leaving the trailer at the campsite for our side journeys to various hikes. I really enjoyed that convenience - this being the first time we've been trailer camping.

The only thing we are looking into changing is the door. I'm not sure how expensive it would be but having a gullwing door that is less than standing height when opened is going to result in some kind of cumulative head trauma if I don't change it.

We met Gina B - a moderator here on fiberglassrv.com on a chance encounter in the town of Randle, Washington. She called out "Hey, that's a Miti-Lite!" and we ended up talking for a while. She gave us lots of helpful tips. Thanks Gina!

A welcome addition to the trailer would be some kind of rainfly/awning. I'm not sure how this would work given the pop top but that and the door are my next projects. Any ideas or resources are appreciated.

That's it for now.

Regards,
John
Old 08-15-2011, 05:41 PM   #8

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
what is behind that door in the front and is that a sliding lock for that door one sees under the paper towel holder?
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 06:31 PM   #9

Washington
As you enter the door you face the kitchen - to the left, rear, is the seating/sleeping area - to the right is a closet that covers the front of the trailer. The "sliding lock" looking thing is a trash bag holder. The door locks via two handles at the bottom of the door.
Old 08-15-2011, 06:40 PM   #10

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
This seems like a lot easier to me than reconfiguring the door and changing the overall shape of the trailer... cheap too! http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...oor-27915.html
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 06:45 PM   #11

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Yes, just mount it on your head and you will be safe.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 06:48 PM   #12

Washington
Nice :-) I like it.