New from Michigan - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-25-2015, 03:30 PM   #1

Name: Bud
Trailer: In the market
MI
New from Michigan

Hi everyone. I just joined. Really happy I found your site. I started tent camping when I was 8 or 9 years old. I could not have enjoyed it more. I've been tent camping almost my whole life. Back in 1980 I bought a 24' Argosy travel trailer. I think the weight of it was around 2,400 pounds. I pulled it with a GMC pickup truck with an in line six cylinder engine in it. You couldn't tell the trailer was being towed once you got your speed built up, which took some time. When Michigan went through a couple of recessions I hauled it out to WO and AZ for about one year in each place and lived in it while I was there working. It was really a nice trailer. I sold it in 1984 or 1985. This trailer gave my family some wonderful memories. After I sold it I wished I wouldn't have sold it. About 2004 or 2005 I bought a one ton Toyota pickup with a 21' Dolphin motor home on it. This was by far the best way to ravel in my opinion. If you get tired you can stop and take a nap almost anywhere. I put dead bolds on the bottom of each front door for security and the main entrance had a dead bolt on it. You get hungry stop and fix something to eat. If my wife was with me I would keep on driving and she would cook something for me or us. Twice I drove it over the Rocky Mountains. I sold it in 2014. I hated to see it go but my wife wanted me to sell it. The only money I had to put into it, aside from normal maintenance, all the while I had it was new tires. I would set cruise at 55 MPH and just take my time. It never broke down on he highway. I never had one problem with it. Now I drive a Pontiac Vibe with a towing capacity of 1,500 pounds. That means I have to have a light travel trailer. I hope around 500 to 600 pounds. I didn't mean to be so long winded.
bountybuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 04:51 PM   #2

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
I too have been down several of those same roads; a 25' Airstream fulltiming for a year in our 20's & 30's and a number of Toyhomes, all Sunraders of course.

But right now you will find that the only travel trailers under 1000 lbs will be a smaller pop-up tent trailer or a Teardrop, and somehow I don't thing that will appeal to your S.O. but good luck and ask lots of questions.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 04:13 PM   #3

Name: john
Trailer: Compact Junior
Michigan
Lightweight trailers...

Hi Bud

where are you in Michigan? My Compact Jr, stripped pretty bare, tips the truck scale at about 1,100 pounds.

Stick to flat places like the Thumb and your Vibe won't complain too much but I wouldn't want to take on many hills!
john madill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 06:03 AM   #4

MI
Hi Bob. Thanks for your reply. I found a perfect small trailer here for my Vibe. I weighed around 400 to 500 pounds. Now I can't remember what it was called. I'll have to go back and find it again. I hope down the road our paths cross.
Old 04-27-2015, 06:10 AM   #5

MI
Hi John,

Now my wife and I live in Caro, Michigan. We came here for the winter. In a few days we will move back to North Branch, Michigan which is 20 miles east of Flint and about 15 miles north of I69. We live where there is very little crime but there are some bad cities not far from us. We don't go to them. I've thought about moving to a better climate but we have many friends here and my wife would like to stay here. I hate the cold winters. I just bought a new mid sized motor scooter and it would be nice living where I could use it year around. I just sold three motorcycles. I still love to be on two wheels and my wife loves riding with me.
Old 04-27-2015, 07:03 AM   #6
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by bountybuddy View Post
Back in 1980 I bought a 24' Argosy travel trailer. I think the weight of it was around 2,400 pounds. I pulled it with a GMC pickup truck with an in line six cylinder engine in it. You couldn't tell the trailer was being towed once you got your speed built up, which took some time.
Know the feeling Bud. We now tow a 23' Airstream with a 260HP 6 cyl and it tows great.

Quote:
Now I drive a Pontiac Vibe with a towing capacity of 1,500 pounds. That means I have to have a light travel trailer. I hope around 500 to 600 pounds. I didn't mean to be so long winded.
The Vibe is built on the Toyota Corolla platform which is the same as the Scion XB. Power to weight is good. There are a number of forum members using them to tow 1,500lbs. Seems to work fine. Getting the connection right is important.

Good luck with your glass egg search.
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 07:22 AM   #7

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
Welcome to the Forum Bud
Old 04-27-2015, 07:34 AM   #8

Weights

Quote:
Hi Bob. Thanks for your reply. I found a perfect small trailer here for my Vibe. I weighed around 400 to 500 pounds. Now I can't remember what it was called. I'll have to go back and find it again. I hope down the road our paths cross.
Sounds like you were looking at a camping trailer designed for towing by a motorcycle. Let us know when you remember the name or some more descriptions

Old 04-27-2015, 04:50 PM   #9

Name: john
Trailer: Compact Junior
Michigan
If i had a Vibe i'd want one of these....

Coleman Colorado Tent Trailer

it's a pop-up and not fiberglass but has a cache all its own. interiors are just bare bones dinette and a bed, then you set it up as you like it.

they only weigh about 600 pounds and offer way more room than a motorcycle camper.

they show up on CL from time to time anywhere from $800 up to $2000 usually
john madill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 05:19 PM   #10
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
We almost bought a Colorado once but glad we didn't. The Rio Grande we ended up with had so much more space, amenities and a lightweight at less than 2,000lbs.
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 05:49 PM   #11

I looked for a Colorado for my Son a couple of years back and they are sorta the Eriba Puck of the off-road group and seem to command a very high price. I have yet to see one with good canvas for under $3000.