New from NJ - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-17-2012, 09:37 AM   #1

Name: Matthew
Trailer: In the market
New Jersey
Talking New from NJ

Hello All!!

I'm new to the forum and would like to say hello! From what I can tell so far this seems to be like a great group of people and wonderful resource. I've been to other forums and lets just say they are not all so welcoming!

Anyway my wife and I are looking at getting a trailer. It started off as a quest for a teardrop. We rented one twice this summer and loved it. We were about to pull the trigger on a 5x10 Silver shadow but now we're looking a little farther down the road and are thinking that something with a bit more space might be a good idea if we decided to start a family down the line. We've looked at the T@B's. My wife loves the look and we've also looked at the 13' Scamp. Well online that is. Our TV is a 2012 Subaru Forester so I'm trying to keep myself from getting hooked on the 16' Scamp. Even though the Forester is the little car that could, I want to stay safe and would prefer to not end it's life prematurely. The 16'er optioned out and loaded with gear is just going to be too close to the max 2400 pounds I think.

So I've got a couple of questions for the group.

1 - any suggestions of what we should be looking at?
2 - Do you think I'm on the right track In my thinking about weight?
3- Any comments about the Scamp 13' (or something similar) with little ones?
4- Thoughts on T@B
5- Might anyone live near Philly that wouldn't mind showing off their trailer to us? I would love to get a tour a a Scamp.

Sorry for all the questions at once....I'm sure there will be more.

Be Well,

Matthew
Fegbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 10:33 AM   #2

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
If memory serves, I believe the T@B is stick built and will probably not last nearly as long as a molded fiberglass trailer nor will it retain as much value as it ages. Probably the weight question would depend partially on how much you'd put in the Subaru in addition to whatever goes in the trailer. Also on how & where you'd go with it. That said, there are people on the forum who tow with Subarus. You should get a much better andwer from them.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 10:55 AM   #3

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Hi Matthew:

You don't make mention of a growing family so that would appear to eliminate the gnarly problem of the bunkhouse for five in 10 linear feet concept. My sense is you know what you're doing and what you're looking for. I would have been thrilled with an Aliner or teardrop when I was younger as either is certainly an efficient tent on wheels. As to the Forester, you have made a realistic appraisal of it's towing capability IMO.

Wait just a minute; now I notice you mention little ones. I don't think a postage stamp size motel room with a low ceiling is the best choice for more than two people of any size. How much time do you desire/will you need to spend inside? How much out? How important to you is the convenience of standing upright while under shelter? If you believe you can cope with at least one other adult AND one child or dog in a small tent, then you can probably do the same in a teardrop. After that, I think almost everyone (however young, energetic, and patient) sees the advantages of a small trailer with at least standing headroom for most average-size adults and a flexible if not commodius use of space which mimics what you have at home. The 13' Scamp certainly fills that minimum requirement.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 11:52 AM   #4

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
We have a teardrop and a CT13 Uhaul, so why not both. I believe that the T@bs are now made by Little Guy, where before they were Dutch made? And I heard there were issues with some of the older ones. I think there is a T@b for sale here in town, older one, owned by older couple that can't handle it anymore. Recently met a retired couple like us that had an Aliner and loved it. They had already made a couple modifications, liked the quick and easy set up & down, and the low profile towing.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 12:52 PM   #5

Name: jennifer
Trailer: Casita Liberty
Ohio
Ready for a hard sided camper...

Hello, I just joined the forum and we, too, are in the market for a camper. We looked at the T@DA by owner yesterday and a couple of things bother me. First, they no longer make this model and secondly, there were loose screws inside and out. My husband and I traveled 6000 miles in an old pop up this summer. The shaking and vibration caused some damage. My question is: how solid are the molded fiberglass trailers in terms of long distance travel?
jenj99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 01:37 PM   #6

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
Tennessee
Hi Matthew. Welcome aboard. You're right about the weight. Keep it light and simple. I'd go for the Scamp 13. I say that because I just ordered one. We're trading down (size wise) from an Aerolite Cub. I wanted a lighter and higher quality camper. The Aerolite hybrid, altought a nice design, was JUNK from a durability perspective. The flooring rotted out in just 5 years from a minor leak.

You won't have such issue with fiberglass trailers. They're not junk, don't generally leak, and they are made to last. This is why you see units that are 30 years old and nearly half the price of a new one (or more). We went with the Scamp 13 because of weight, reputation, resale value, and price. We deleted the front bath for the front counch / bunk so we can bring a couple of kids along. I don't think you can go wrong with any of the F/G trailers, new or used. If you call the Scamp factory they have a referral program and can set you up with someone in your area. We did that and it sealed the deal for us.

Good luck.
SailorSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 02:10 PM   #7

Name: Matthew
Trailer: In the market
New Jersey
Thank you all for the advise. I was unaware of Scamps referral program. We will most certainly be looking into that!
Fegbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 06:43 PM   #8

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenj99 View Post
Hello, I just joined the forum and we, too, are in the market for a camper. We looked at the T@DA by owner yesterday and a couple of things bother me. First, they no longer make this model and secondly, there were loose screws inside and out. My husband and I traveled 6000 miles in an old pop up this summer. The shaking and vibration caused some damage. My question is: how solid are the molded fiberglass trailers in terms of long distance travel?
Having owned both a T@da and a molded fiberglass trailer I can answer this easily. The T@da was top notch, new from factory, very few problems. A used one with loose screws means it has not been maintained. This can happen with any trailer. A molded fiberglass will normally have both rivets and screws but there are a lot less screws used in a f/g vs conventional build trailer. Thus the probability of finding loose screws in a f/g trailer is minimal.
The main difference is if you leave either of these 2 trailers outside in 10 years the fiberglass one will still be useable and worth more than the conventional trailer.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 08:38 PM   #9

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Hello,

We live in Burlington NJ. We own a 17 ft Casita Freedom Dlx . Not the floor plan for a growing family but it will give you an idea of what a bit bigger camper will provide as far as space and things. Scamp 13's are great, but an escape 15 might give you the room you need. There is a rally at the end of october that Jim is organizing and there may be some you can view there.

If you would like to look at our camper just for space and other things just send me a PM and we can work out a time. FG trailers will last and last and last, and the group of people is great.

Don
Don W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 08:48 PM   #10
Administrator

Trailer: Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
I'm not sure, but I'm almost positive that the T@b weighs almost as much (if not as much) as a 16 ft. Scamp or Casita. I have friends who love their T@b, but they pull with a Chevy Avalanche. It may be more vehicle than is necessary, but these friends don't travel light.

At any rate, I remember the T@bs being deceptively heavy. Hopefully someone with more experience will either corroborate or shoot down my opinion on it.
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 05:19 PM   #11

Name: Ann & Mike
Trailer: Casita 17 ft Liberty Delux
New York
Welcome Mathew,
After alot of research, we decided last year on a new Casita 17ft liberty delux.
We have camped with our 9 year old grandson very comfortably since the rear
can be made into a bed about 75"x80" and we sleep sideways. Love the full bath.
I think one major point about the Casita is that it is essentially two bathtubs put
together so road spray or other water does not affect the floor (don't think the
Scamp is built the same).
Either way both are very well made and you will have many many years of happy camping.

Ann & Mike (upstate NY)
PS Casita does make a 13ft but the 17ft are much more popular.
grammy46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 06:38 AM   #12

Name: donna
Trailer: 13 ft scamo deluxe
New Jersey
We live in nj 10 minutes from tacony bridge. We have had our 1994 13 ft scamp deluxe for 2 months. Our 2003 subaru forester tows it just fine. Would not mind showing it off, its seems we do so around here without even trying.
donnaeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 06:59 AM   #13

Name: donna
Trailer: 13 ft scamo deluxe
New Jersey
I too just saw that you mention "little ones". Our sacmp does not have the bunks. It has extra countertop and storage closets in that area and does not have the bathroom. Since we are just two adults this is great for us. I guess if the little ones are very little that might work with the bunks but there is pretty much standing room only. The dinette easily has seated for average size adults.
donnaeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 11:23 AM   #14

Name: Chris
Trailer: 13' Scamp
Pennsylvania
Registry
Just saw you post now- i have a 2003 scamp 13' with the bunks - otherwise it is basic. I live in Center City Philadelphia- if you are still interested send me a PM, but also leave a post here so I check my email.
chse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 07:59 PM   #15

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
I suggest you read the earlier thread titled Researching a TON of information. In it there is a discussion of which fiberglass egg to tow with a Jetta. I have posted my experience towing a 13' Scamp with a Subaru Legacy there. Good luck.
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote