New guy from Central New York - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-25-2012, 10:36 AM   #1

Name: Sean
Trailer: Learning
New York
Question New guy from Central New York

What a great site here. I have been interested in the "gypsy" life for years & periodically researched the different travel options. I would like to get into an egg this year so research has become serious. Most travel will be just two of us - possible third person for short intervals. One big Akita dog. Trip will range from weekenders to extended times (1 - 2 months) away from our place in Central New York. Toilet/shower is a must. As one who is pretty new to the egg world one question comes to mind for those more experienced, "Knowing what you know right now - what would you buy today?" Perhaps more accurately, what would you recommended for a person with my requirements? P.S. Is there a better place at the site to ask this question?
sean wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 11:08 AM   #2

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
Well, although I've only had it for less than a year, I've pulled it over 20K miles here in the East & around the Southwest and I'd definitely purchase an Escape 17B again. I travel single, although when friends visited we slept 3 without problems. If I was going to do that regularly, particularly with a large dog I might look for a larger 19' or 5er, but the Escape trailers are well thought out & well made.

I have a page with links to blogs written by Fiberglass Trailer owners at JV'S Fiberglass Trailer Links.

Since there are not that many in the Central NY area, if you want to see an Escape 17B, feel free to contact me.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 11:13 AM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hi Sean, welcome to FiberglassRV. I'll leave your questions to others as I travel as a single, but wanted to welcome you to this great community
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 12:12 PM   #4

Name: Bill
Trailer: Lil Snoozy / Jeep Cherokee
Pennsylvania
Registry
Lil Snoozy was my choice.

Well Sean, You are going to get lots of helpful answers and lots of different opinions from the good people on this site. You are going to have to find out what your trailer options actually are and begin your research. I was where you are for four years trying to decide, because most brands of fiberglass trailers have a lot to offer, you just need to find out what works for you.
I found that all trailers have their pluses and minuses and that the Lil Snoozy best fit my needs. The features I liked was no wood flooring to rot in years ahead, a galvanized frame and stainless steel fixtures that will not rust, an actual full time bed with a queen size mattress just like your bed at home, components such as the air conditioning, refrigerator, etc. that can be sourced at your local Leowes cheaply and easily installed should you experience failure, an open design that does not feel claustrophobic, and a huge storage space under the bed that is not broken up by bed supports that will allow for out of the way storage of large items such as lawn chairs, additional coolers, etc., and fiberglass construction I thought to be stronger than that I saw in other trailers. And an added bonus are the great people that build them. They go out of their way to gladly custom build around your requests.
See them all and then make up your mind!
Bill in Pittsburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 12:35 PM   #5

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
If headroom and bed length are issues for you, the Egg Camper (like ours) has more than enough headroom and bed length for a person 6'4" or a bit more. Has toilet & shower and can be had in all electric (ours) or with propane. Compressor fridge so level isn't an issue. LIGHTWEIGHT FIBERGLASS TRAVEL TRAILER. Sorry but I don't know how to make a link.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 04:45 PM   #6

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
welcome, sean. there are so many factors to consider......but given the chance to re-purchase, i think i would either go for an escape 17 or 19 or else i'd give serious consideration to a lil snoozy. but i am not you....so make up your list of what you must have/ what you would like/ what you could live without....and then check out as many as you can in person. good luck!
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 04:48 PM   #7

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
A lot of what you want has to do with what your tug can tow. What is the tow weight for your rig, we can help you start from there.

Personally I want an Escape 5.0, but I own a truck. If you have a Honda Minivan that wouldn't work for you
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 06:16 PM   #8

Name: Dave
Trailer: ,Bigfoot 25 foot plus Surfside 14 foot
British Columbia
OR...

Look at any and all you can find - then choose the trailer you like, then get a tug that can handle it, with a safety factor as well!
BCDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 06:24 PM   #9

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
There is going to be a fiberglass rally June 29/30 in central Pennsylvania attended by folks from the surrounding states. This would be a good chance to see in person the various types of trailers available. Bring a tent or rent a cabin, here is some info, and welcome to the group: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ite-48233.html
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 07:40 PM   #10

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Since you're interested in Eggs, I will say that the money you spend going going to a rally will be one of your best investments ever. It's an excellent opportunity to learn first hand.

We went to our first fiberglass rally without a trailer for two days. Great experience.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 10:03 PM   #11

Name: Sean
Trailer: Learning
New York
Thanks for the information!

Thank you everyone for your insights and recommendations. Based on what you shared with me - and a preliminary list of requirements that I had already drafted - I am going to: attend the rally in PA (only 3 hours away from Cortland NY where we live) and try to spend some time with Escape & Lil'Snoozy owners. I am intrigued by the design of the Safari Condo and may try to attend the Toronto RV show on March 1 to get a glimpse of it and other Canadian units. Thanks again for your encouragement and recommendations. It is great to have a resource of such knowledgeable and helpful people available.
sean wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 09:52 AM   #12

Name: Meghan
Trailer: Play Pac
New York
Registry
You can come take a peek at my Play Pac out past Cooperstown. But with only about 10-15 known to still be on the road, I am not sure if that will help you decide what you want
Meghan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 10:33 AM   #13

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
All Fiberglass Trailers are sold Factory Direct, not through Dealers

If you are buying a new trailer, where it is being shipped from or where you have to go to pick it up may have a bearing on your decision. *Some brands or models are quite new and thus there might not be be used units available.*
  • Lil Snoozy*: South Carolina
  • Parkliner*: North Carolina
  • Escape: British Columbia, Canada
  • Scamp: Minnesota
  • Casita: Texas
  • Eggcamper: Michigan
  • Team Trillium Outback: Alberta, Canada
  • TrilliumRV: California
Old 02-27-2012, 10:43 AM   #14

Name: Nicholas
Trailer: LiL Snoozy
South Carolina
Sean,
I believe Bill in PA will be at the PA rally (correct me if I'm mistaken Bill) and I will defiantly be there with a Lil Snoozy, though not until late Friday evening. I have been looking forward to this rally since last year!
One this is, Sean, you will not go amiss with the wealth of information on this forum. Also, as Norm said, the rallies are by far the best way to get an up close and personal look at various trailers.
I look forward to meeting you and see the rest of ya'll again!!

Edit: Meghan, will you be attending the PA rally? I have never seen a Play Pac in real life, its always cool to see a rare example!

Nicholas
LiL Snoozy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 10:57 AM   #15

Name: Meghan
Trailer: Play Pac
New York
Registry
I just mentioned attending the rally to my boyfriend. That is right in the middle of my busy season ( photographer) so we will see!!!! I was all set on going to the Niagara wine escape, but ended up getting a photography job. Gotto follow the money
Meghan is offline   Reply With Quote