New guy from Kelowna BC - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-23-2016, 06:44 PM   #1

Name: chris
Trailer: CareFree
British Columbia
New guy from Kelowna BC

Hi Everyone,

Until last week, I never new anything about these fiberglass RV's. I saw one listed online and did some serious research over the next few days to know what I was getting into.

I ended up picking up a 11 foot Carefree trailer that apparently had been in a barn for some time. The add listed it as a 1961, but from what I understand it may actually be from the 70's??

Anyways, I am very excited to get started on this project. I am hoping to also meet some locals who may also be working on their trailers to learn a few things.

Here is a shot of it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sch0enne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 08:54 PM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Welcome, Chris!

Congratulations on your purchase. It's one of the less-common makes, so I'm sure there'll be plenty of interest (and maybe some helpful information) as you get this trailer back on the road. Hope you'll post some pictures as you go.

Best wishes!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 09:19 PM   #3

Name: Robert
Trailer: Surf-Side
Manitoba
I saw one of these in Brandon, Manitoba, this fall. It had come from Calgary and I thought that it was a very nice unit. Enjoy. There is lots of good advice on this site, for sure.
Bob in Mb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 11:10 PM   #4

British Columbia
Yeah so far I love this site! Tomorrow I am starting to rip her apart and I will be sure to document as much as possible. This particular model was made in Trail BC from what I understand.

Old 01-24-2016, 10:42 AM   #5

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
11 ft, wow. Does that include the tongue, or is that just the cabin? Eager to hear more about it, not one I'd heard of before.
Just one pic I know, but looks to be in decent shape.
When you finish you'll have a rare head turner.
It's not even on the site list.

Walt
WaltP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 01:29 PM   #6

Trailer: 1985 13 ft U-Haul
welcome to the forum. that is truly a unique little trailer you have purchased, looks to be in good shape. I have been on the forum for a number of years and I don't remember seeing another one of this make. Enjoy the renovation process, but the real fun comes when the trailer is campable ( notice i didn't say complete, as you will discover they are almost never complete ). Lee
Lee Senn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 03:27 PM   #7

British Columbia
It is in okay shape. No major structural concerns, but the wood internal structure has some rot around the door.

I started ripping out the bathroom and electrical system today. There have definitely been a few rodents living behind the walls.

Old 01-24-2016, 03:54 PM   #8

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
That's a nice little trailer and will get you to some good times. I will guess it's an early 70's build based on the stove and refer colors. Great find !
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 11:16 PM   #9

Name: Mike
Trailer: Bigfoot
Alberta
I picked up a surf side in the spring .and over the winter i have removed everything in side .i kept all of the parts for temp lets.lots of fun remember to proper ppe when working on these.that is a cool little unit .take pictures as you do the work .on those like mine pull the windows and replace the calking .every one i have done it had dried out and leaked Please show us the finished unit and Happy Trails Mike
MAP 56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 11:19 PM   #10

British Columbia
Hi MAP 56. Thanks I am pretty excited. In regards to the proper ppe, anything out of the ordinary I should be aware of? I've been wearing a respirator and the usual safety equipment when working on it. I did see a thread about asbestos in these older trailers.

Old 01-24-2016, 11:26 PM   #11

Name: Mike
Trailer: Bigfoot
Alberta
I like to use a shop vac to keep as much of the nasty bits from getting air born as possible .You sound like you have it under control
MAP 56 is offline   Reply With Quote