New guy looking for camper info - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-16-2013, 05:41 PM   #1

Name: Ray
Trailer: flagstaff
Missouri
New guy looking for camper info

Hey all,

I have been lurking here for a couple weeks now trying to educate myself a bit on these campers. I tend to be one of those guys who over researches everything before buying something like this. I don't own a FG camper yet but I am seriously considering it.

I currently own a flagstaff pop up and it has served me well but time to move on is approaching.

Here is what I plan for the camper. I am open to suggestions as to what models might be best for my purposes.

I plan to use this camper for both business and a fishing trip or deer camp from time to time but mostly business. I make my living as an artist and I teach classes here at my studio. Folks literally come from all over the world to take a one week intensive class here.

I have come up with a new business model which takes my school on the road. I pack equipment and tools for 8 students in my truck and teach a class at a host studio. The concept is that it will be cheaper for folks if they collectively are paying for one person to travel to them rather than for them to pay their individual travel and hotel expenses to come here to me. The concept has been received well and I am doing my first traveling class for the Florida Society of Goldsmiths in August. I am working on lining up a group in IN and one in MN after that.

That is where the camper comes in. If these three classes go well I will have a good chunk of money to buy a camper with. This first set of classes will tell me if this traveling school concept is worth pursuing as well. If things go well and I decide this business plan is valid and the logistics are not too insane. I am considering buying a lightweight FG camper. Remodeling one end of it so it has a traveling engraving studio in it and leave the fridge stove, beds etc in place. This will allow me to get some of my own personal bench work done on the road as well as save me a ton on hotels. Hotels are averaging a $100 a night now. Some places they are higher some lower but on average you can plan on a C note for a room. I believe a small camper will pay for itself in a short while. Most of the studios I would be teaching at have a parking lot or other facility where I would be allowed to park my traveling home and studio.

I am considering the FG trailers for their size and light weight. Since this is a business venture saving on gas is important but so is being able to maneuver through rush hour traffic through major cities. I am looking for something in the 14-17 ft range. I have seen pics of some of the 16-17ft scamps and cassitas as well as some of the 14 ft burros with the large closet that would work well for me. I think these will be large enough to house an engraving bench and leave enough room for me to live in while traveling, yet not so large that they are problematic pulling around the country. I would want something that can accept a decent awning if it does not already have one.

Another thing I am considering doing is taking the camper to a vinyl shop and having a vinyl wrap done to it with my school advertisements on it. Sort of a traveling billboard if you will. I don't think that would cause any problems with the FG material.

Anyway, I thought I should introduce myself so you all know who the crazy artist is asking all the questions when I get close to buying time.

Ray
Ray Cover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 05:55 PM   #2

Name: Randy
Trailer: casita
Florida
FB campers are the way to go. No one can sway me from that conclusion cause Ive already had a few of the other types. Never again!
stairman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 05:57 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hi Ray, to FiberglassRV, we're glad you're here

Interesting concept you have for a business model. I wish you much success.

What's your tow vehicle? Based on your need to be comfortable and have room for an engraving bench, I'm thinking a 5th wheel may work well. But, you'd obviously need a pickup.

Best of luck on your egg hunt!
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 06:09 PM   #4

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
Welcome to the Forum Ray. I'm just below you in Oklahoma.
Here's a Backyard Photo Shoot I did of mine after getting it home
from the factory.

Backyard Photo Shoot

And here's some shots at the factory itself.

SNOOZY TOWN FACTORY

I think most of us over-research, but I don't think over is the right word. lol.
We all know what we need or want and just have to keep looking until we find it.

You can also get a Snoozy pretty much empty and blank and do itself to your
own specs. There's a Mike Magee on here that just got one called a Lil Hauly.
I think he has a pic or two of it on here.

***Here's the Lil Hauly [post #7]

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...lle-58716.html
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 06:47 PM   #5

Missouri
Thanks for the replies and input.

Donna, I am towing with a full size Toyota Tundra pickup. I have a camper shell on the pickup and that is where I will haul all the equipment for the classes so a 5th wheel won't work for me. If I take the bed of the truck to haul the 5th than I would have to load a classroom full of equipment into the camper itself.

Carl, Thanks for the links I will definitely check those out.

Ray
Old 06-16-2013, 07:03 PM   #6

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
A Toyota Tundra should pull just about anything you decide on.
I tow with a 2010 Tacoma, and it does great.
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 07:23 PM   #7

Missouri
Carl, I took a good look at the lil snoozy forum and went to their website. That looks good but at a base price of almost $18K I can't afford a new one. They have not been in business long enough for many used ones in my budget to be on the market.

There are a lot of things I do like about that camper. Actually just about every feature I like about that camper it is just not going to be int eh budget at this point. I am probably going to have to settle for a used camper I can pick up in the $5k to $7K range. As new as these are I don't see the possibility of a used one selling in my ballpark.