New guy on this site - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-12-2016, 06:10 AM   #1

Name: Bob
Trailer: U-Haul
Florida
New guy on this site

My wife Kim and I have owned a '84 CT-13 since we bought it from U-Haul in '90. We have used it as much as possible since. Our daughter traveled with us until she left for college in '92. It has been a lot of fun, both camping and remodeling/repairing, etc. Our camping style is more like tent camping as we cook and socialize outside and use the CT for sleeping and gear storage. I am sure that any FG owner has had the same type of experiences as we have. Waves and horns on the road, questions in the camp grounds and the inevitable "why do you have a large porta-jon in your yard?"
BobW1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 06:20 AM   #2

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
First owner !! that's really great. We bought our CT about 5 years ago. We've been to Florida with it twice, but now have a Casita 17 for long term trips. The Uhaul still gets used for short term camping. Never heard the port-john comment though. There is a large group of Uhaul owners on Facebook now, check it out.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 06:22 AM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Welcome, Bob and Kim!

Cool... a one-owner CT-13 for 26 years! I agree the small eggs get lots of attention. I've often wished I had a business card for this forum. But I've never had our Scamp mistaken for a porta-john...

Best wishes for many more years camping in your U-Haul!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 02:34 PM   #4

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Neighbors were speculating what our 1973 amerigo was while it was brown and off the frame. A boat of some kind? A houseboat? A gondola?

I never found out if they meant a gondola like for Venice, Italy, or a gondola that would go on a sky-tram. Either way...not so much.

LOTS of interest in it! Our first trip, a 13-year old boy insisted his mom ask us if he could look inside--of course we let them all come in, and the kids loved the two pug girls, who were delighted with their new friends.

So far, no one has mistaken the whole trailer for a port-a-john...but they're very careful to give our curtained-off front closet/alcove all the respect it deserves since the composting porta-potty system is in it. We call the alcove the "putin," for a number of reasons.
Old 07-12-2016, 03:25 PM   #5

Name: Jennifer
Trailer: 1979 Scamp 13'
Colorado
Registry
nice to meet you!
Zennifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 05:48 PM   #6

Trailer: U-Haul CT13
Registry
I'll always remember the traffic our ct13 generated at campgrounds. People loved viewing it and asking all about it.
I guess to think back in the late 80s you could actually rent one for a few bucks and head out for a weekend of fun, is quite amazing. Though I never talked to anyone who did that, some were aware of them back then.
I miss that camper and the great memories I had with my wife. If she were still with us she would love that I found a compact jr and was at least trying to rekindle that passion we had for camping. I miss her so much.
Bruce Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 06:46 PM   #7

Name: Steve
Trailer: Casita
Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Thomas View Post
I'll always remember the traffic our ct13 generated at campgrounds. People loved viewing it and asking all about it.
I guess to think back in the late 80s you could actually rent one for a few bucks and head out for a weekend of fun, is quite amazing. Though I never talked to anyone who did that, some were aware of them back then.
I miss that camper and the great memories I had with my wife. If she were still with us she would love that I found a compact jr and was at least trying to rekindle that passion we had for camping. I miss her so much.
Sorry for your loss Bruce, my wife's a lukewarm camper, but I can't imagine traveling without her.
Old 07-12-2016, 06:55 PM   #8

Trailer: U-Haul CT13
Registry
Thankyou...maybe she will start liking it more. We used to tent camp so the fiberglass was a welcome sight to us. Like ducks to water we took to it.
Bruce Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 05:15 AM   #9

Name: Bob
Trailer: U-Haul
Florida
Thanks for the welcomes.
We started out tenting (on our honeymoon) and continued until our daughter was born. When we felt she was old enough we bought and rebuilt a '63 Apache Scout. When we got tired of packing up wet we found the CT and have used it ever since. It has been painted, remodeled and had most of the frame replaced but wouldn't have anything else.
BobW1950 is offline   Reply With Quote