new here, could use some input - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-22-2016, 04:53 PM   #15

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
FG Trailer and insulation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by k corbin View Post
Have you ever picked up a double pane glass window? They are very heavy.

Adding room for insulation that has enough volume to be effective within a fiberglass shell generally means creating some space for the insulation by adding wood framing inside of the shell. The weight of that wood framing quickly adds up with all of the pieces that are needed plus you also have the weight of the materials to create the inside wall surface which has to cover and protect the insulation.

Therefore as far as I know there are no light weight true 4 season molded fiberglass shells. The materials used to make them 4 season make them the opposite of light weight.
:if you use the knew special in a bottle Spray Foams one does not need to put wood studs in place to hold it there as this stuff has it's own glue which holds it in place and also is very light.
I have used this for boats, Cabins, houses, almost any application where you need insulation.
One thing you never want to get this stuff on your clothing, skin, hair as once there it is there forever, so make sure you wear clothing you do not care about also when applying make sure you have a fresh air mask so you can breath as this stuff goes on quite hot which in turn makes the air your breathing hot.
Stude

Old 11-22-2016, 06:12 PM   #16

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
I wouldn't think of using anything but the built in propane heater. Millions of RVs use them and they have been proven to be safe and economical. The furnace in Scamp 13' will drive you out if want it hot, no matter the outside temperature is.
I keep it on at night with the thermostat set at between 45 and 50F.
In a small volume like my Scamp I need to keep the roof vent open a bit and the small window over the stove open a bit no matter the weather to keep fresh air inside and O up enough to breath and the O2 down.

Old 04-09-2017, 04:54 AM   #17

Name: Tom
Trailer: Shopping
CO
Good news! You could win an award.

Darwin Awards. Chlorinating The Gene Pool.

Click image for larger version

Name:	c-39.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	104775
Old 04-09-2017, 10:08 AM   #18

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2010 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe
Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKJ View Post
Hello,

Anyone have any recommendations of units that are true 4-season but very lightweight? (or, able to be altered to be 4 season)? Trying to find a 4 season trailer my Dakota can pull that can withstand Eastern Washington winter.
Also, I'm interested in putting in a tiny woodstove for heat, heating water on, cooking on top, etc. I don't like depending on propane for heat. Are there tiny woodstoves made for trailers and RVs or does a person have to just get or make the smallest one they can find and get creative with how to put it in, to avoid carbon monoxide poisoning, leaks in roof, etc?
Also interested in solar and wind.

Thanks -

-MKJ

I have much experience in using small wood stoves in ice shacks and hunting cabins. You want to rely on wood over propane? Besides oodles of reasons revolving around safety, wood stoves are either way too hot, too cold, and must be fed every hour or two. So good luck sleeping and being consistently comfortable.

Sorry, with fiberglass campers a wood stove would be beyond crazy.