New here, help me decide - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-27-2014, 04:48 PM   #1

Name: Richard
Trailer: Boler
Alberta
New here, help me decide

I've owned a 1970 Boler here for about 15 years now. Paid $300 for it back then with the intention of converting it to a mobile ice fishing shack/hunting blind. So did some floor work to enable fishing through the floor, painted it up and modified a window for use as a hunting blind. Well the last 5 years or so it hasnt been out doing any of that. My kids use it a lot to take out on camping/party trips, not to mention it is usually the hit of the party wherever it goes.
So now, I've been toying around with the idea of remodelling it to suit my needs a little more now. I also have a 1970 Ford Bronco that I pull it around with.
Now I have an uncontrollable urge to buy a 1988 Bigfoot 20' fifth wheel. So I have been searching high and low for one and come across one that is 800 miles away. So the dilemma is remodel the boler or get the bigfoot fifth wheel.
I've read nothing but good things about the Bigfoot units, so am leaning in that direction for now.
What's y'all's thoughts? Any advise on the what I should know about the bigfoot?

I will post pics of my Boler/Bronco here soon as I get the posting pics thing figured out here.

Thanks
RichardP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 04:53 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Welcome aboard, Richard.

Obviously with the Bigfoot, you will have more room, but will require a pickup to tow it. Bigfoot makes a great trailer.

Best of both worlds, keep both! Work on the Boler, and use the Bigfoot for camping while the work is in process. I have often thought it would be nice to have a wee trailer, for those quick trips where you want to drag a bet along. My Escape 19 can do that, but a 13' fun project would be nice too.

It will ultimately come down to your camping style. Is there two of you?
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 04:54 PM   #3

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
Welcome to the Forum Richard.

I know some Bigfoot owners will show up directly
with lots of responses.
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 05:03 PM   #4

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Have a hunch I know what trailer you are considering ;-)
The big thing you should know about the Bigfoots is that they are heavier than what many people think they are.... more than one has been purchased only to be sold again as its weight is much greater than the purchaser thought it was and their tug can't handle it.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 05:11 PM   #5

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Richard, I have seen Bigfoot fifth wheels sit on kijiji for extended periods of time. If your are patient, you could get a really good deal. Here is one for $4000:
1988 Bigfoot 5th wheel with 4 inch lift. Trade 4 cargotr or CTS - Ontario Travel Trailers, Campers For Sale - Kijiji Ontario Canada.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 05:51 PM   #6

Name: Chuck
Trailer: tp
Washington
Richard,
I drove from SW Washington State to Edminton, Alberta to buy a 1988 Bigfoot TW20 5th wheel. Used it for a couple of years sold it. Went back to a Bigfoot trailer. I found it was a lot of work removing my canopy and hitch when not using the trailer. It was a great trailer we had a lot of fun camping in it. They do come up for sale in the US but more were sold in Canada. I think 1994 was close to the last year of production.
Chuck
FTTRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 05:54 PM   #7

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Why not both? Bigfoot for you and the boler for the kids. A true B&B.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 06:20 PM   #8

Name: Richard
Trailer: Boler
Alberta
Thanks folks for the advice. I am not worried about weight at all, as the plan is to pull it with my duramax. The overall goal is to eventually park it on a 30' gooseneck with my Bronco parked behind it. As well as using it separately at times.
I know the bigfoot fifth wheels are getting harder to find, so really a 1600 mile round trip to get one isn't really unreasonable. You have to do what have to do to get one I guess. And around the $4000 mark is fair market value right now it sounds like?

I like the idea of tinkering on the Boler as time goes. There is no way I will ever part with it, just was debating if I should remodel the interior now or spend the time and money on a Bigfoot fifth.

Here is the Boler with my Bronco tow rig. It sure gets a lot of attention at the campsites. Funny how I got the Boler so many years ago and then inherited the 1970 Bronco 4 years ago. And their both 70's. I am bitten big time by the nostalgia bug!

RichardP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 06:29 PM   #9

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardP View Post
You have to do what have to do to get one I guess. And around the $4000 mark is fair market value right now it sounds lf
Have seen them go for way more than that. In fact I am pretty sure there is another one for sale just a little closer to you that they are asking double that for. If you go to Fiberglass-rv-4sale.com and look under the sold section you will be able to get a pretty good idea on prices based on year and condition.

Yup you got to do what you have got to do - so drive safe and enjoy the trip over the rockies
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 07:29 PM   #10

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Cool beans, another possible all molded towable HOARDER! Doncha love it, truly. I could see having both for different reasons (and seasons). If you can do the work yourself, you can remodel the Boler and still have a blast with the Bigfoot for those times too.

Thanks for posting the pic. We love pictures here
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 10:04 PM   #11

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
another possible all molded towable HOARDER!
AHEM,
Owning two, does not make one a HOARDER, yet.

Aren't there some places where it would be legal to tow the boler behind the 5th?

Richard, the two look great together.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 10:36 PM   #12

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
If you like the Bigfoot, go for it. But keep the Boler around at least for a while, in case you decide you prefer the smaller trailer or have good use for it or think you would miss it.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote