New here with a couple questions - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-21-2017, 09:04 PM   #1

Name: Eric
Trailer: Boler
Michigan
New here with a couple questions

Hello I have been I am interested in finding a trailer that can be towed by a Honda CR-V. I've been looking at various 13' trailers, it seems most don't have bathrooms, does anyone have recommendations for ones that do? Also I have only been able to see these from the outside or in pictures is it unrealistic to think a 6'5" guy will fit in the beds? My goal is it find something to travel with my wife and son to visit as much of the country as possible.
Pezking82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 06:39 AM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
New here with a couple questions

Hmmm... 6'5" bed, bathroom, sleeps three, under 1500 pounds... Can't think of anything molded fiberglass that does all that.

Beds in my Scamp (and other similar 13' models) are about 6'2", you have to choose between a third bed or a bathroom, and the bathroom option usually bumps the weight well over 1500 pounds.

With a bit of work, a vintage Hunter Compact Jr. might be made to work- they're one of the lightest, and the bed runs longways. You could probably fit three in the single 6' wide bed. You would have to build a bed extension in the aisle for the tall person and accept a porta-potty in a cabinet instead of a bathroom.

A tent trailer might be something to consider. They tend to be wider than most small FG trailers, so the beds are longer. The under-1500 pound ones won't have bathrooms, though. You'd still have to accept a porta-potty.

Other alternatives include a bigger tow vehicle or perhaps a Class C motorhome pulling your CRV.

Bottom line is the CRV's 1500 pound tow rating is pretty restrictive. We own one, but with 4 people, I feel a lot more comfortable towing our 13' non-bath Scamp with our larger Pilot.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 07:24 PM   #3

Michigan
Thanks for the input, maybe we will have to consider going without a bathroom then because we probably won't be getting anything bigger to tow with.
Old 05-22-2017, 07:44 PM   #4

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Every Time this type of question comes up someone mentions the database of trailer weights and I recommend this resource for you. From the author, "ALL of these trailers were loaded the way that each owner normally traveled."

See: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...rld-43010.html

Google "Lakeshore images real weight" for a spreadsheet of the data that you can sort and filter to focus in on trailers you might be interested it.

And remember that you will be much happier if you stay well under your max towing capacity and will also need to watch the Gross Combined Vehicle Rating (Both tug and trailer with all loads and passengers). I had a base Highlander rated to tow 1500 lbs and towed a small tent trailer (pop-up camper) that was 1380 lbs. I would not have gone any higher and when doing the popup and popdown in the rain one too many times, I sold both and got what I wanted.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 07:50 PM   #5
Commercial Member

Name: Mike
Trailer: Boler13/trillium4500/buro13
Ontario
Hello Eric ,you don't say if you are looking for something new or used .
Mikmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 08:06 PM   #6

Michigan
Wow barely any of those are under 1500 lbs most of the ones I was looking at are between 1500-1800. The dealership thought I could get a cooling system installed for the transmission that would allow me to tow 2000lbs safely so maybe I need to look into that.
Old 05-22-2017, 08:06 PM   #7

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
The bed in every Scamp is roughly 78" that's 6' 6".
Floor to ceiling is 6' 3" though on all post fire models.
What year is your Honda, seems every year they have gotten bigger.
floyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 08:07 PM   #8

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikmay View Post
Hello Eric ,you don't say if you are looking for something new or used .
Defiantly used for financial reasons.
Old 05-22-2017, 08:09 PM   #9

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
The bed in every Scamp is roughly 78" that's 6' 6".
Floor to ceiling is 6' 3" though on all post fire models.
What year is your Honda, seems every year they have gotten bigger.
The Honda is a 2008