new hunter compact owner - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-07-2013, 08:57 AM   #1

Name: frankie
Trailer: 1971 hunter compact jr
Texas
new hunter compact owner

Just figured I say hello found me a lil compact here in south east texas. The guy I bought it from only had it a year and it took me two weeks to get him to sell tha lil fellar. But I wore him down tho its alittle faded and tha tops screwed down to tha roof but beside tha and beein 40 years old its in pretty good shape when I get time ill put some pics up. Newfloors and 3 new tires ac fridge micrwave lil traveler stove and a really nice set of cabinets someone built in tha lil camper.... then tha guy told me he had tha boot for the pop up said it was useable or I could make a pattern off of it... then he pulled it out and I about fell over it was a brand new looked like never been put on boot ....I was happy now all I gotta do is find or build the lift now... I've had it for two days and wouldn't take ten grand for it.... never liked fiberglass anything now I'm hooked.... oh yeah its ready to camp too... faded robins egg blue.... and I only gave ...should I say..... 1200 buck for it good deal or not what do ya'll think ..... I can't wait to go camping
frankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:33 AM   #2

Name: Dave
Trailer: 1979 Scamp 16 Delux
Oregon
Registry
Hi Frankie, welcome to the group.
Sometimes you have to be prepared to do a little work on the trailer. My '74 had been sitting out for years collecting mold. I received some good advice about cleaning the exterior from this website. Now I'm finally working on the interior.
Dave Heffner
Roseburg, OR
Attached Thumbnails
just got it home.JPG   new wheels3.JPG  

SouthwestOregon201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:57 AM   #3

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Hi Frankie
Welcome to the FGRV world, Hunter Compact-II Division.
Here is a link to my Compact-II that shows the lift mechanism in one or two of the pics.

advocateone's Library | Photobucket

You can use ball-bearing drawer slides for the moving part of the lift and stock metal strips and angle for the rest.

BTW: I took my boot off to have new screens and covers sewn in and, after cleaning, the original boot looked and flexed like new as well. Hunter used quality material in the original build.

If you look in the document center there are some Hunter sales brochures.

BTW: I'd sure take ten grand for mine!!!!

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:22 AM   #4

Texas
thanks for tha feed back

Thanks it all looks easy to fab up just need a few pics to look at ... it suprised me when he pulled the top out its nice heavy material triple stiched velcro clear window and blue like the camper looks original but idk first time seeing one in real lif ie.... I'm tickled tho. To have what I got tho ... whoever had it before me took care of the in side but it was around a bunch of chemical plants mose of its life and is a lil faded but it gives it character I say
Old 03-07-2013, 11:32 AM   #5

"Character" is a euphemism for ??????? And it will alway be apparent.

I used Interlux Brightside marine paint to redo my off color exterior, anything less will always look like less..... that's MVHO

Old 03-07-2013, 11:44 AM   #6

Texas
Character means it needs alil freshing up is all ...its a 1972 so its earned it. I saw that paint on one of the forums ... pretty good stuff huh ... is it pricey or about the same as buying a good pittsburg or dupont type paint
Old 03-07-2013, 12:01 PM   #7

You have to use a paint that is specifically designed to go onto fiberglass, like a marine paint for fiberglass boats

I don't know that there are any Pittsburg or duPont products that would work well but, that said, Interlux Briteside is pricey, about 2-3 times the cost of Rust-Oleum marine paint, but worth every penny. You can look up prices on-line or contact a local boat supply shop.

BTW: You will see a lot of posts telling about "some" rust-oleum jobs that were inexpensive to do and came out well. The operative word is "Some".

I have never seen a comment on the Interlux product that was less than "beautiful"when the proper prep, undercoat and top coats were correctly applied using the roll & tip method recommended by Interlux.

I think I spent about $300 on prep, undercoat (2) and finish coats (3).

FWIW: Auto painting shops typically quote about $1200 to do prep & spray a Hunter, depending on condition.

Old 03-07-2013, 07:11 PM   #8

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hi Frankie, to FiberglassRV, we're glad you're here!

You'll find lots of kind and helpful people here
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 08:54 AM   #9

Name: Vanessa
Trailer: UHaul
California
Registry
Sounds like a Great Deal!! Good for you and be sure to post the before and after shots.
luvrOlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 09:35 AM   #10

Texas
I got some pics taken but been busy... plus new to this so when I figure how to send from my phone to here ill be doin good.... fabed up the roof supports that was easy enuff only took a day and a half to do that ... another day to put the boot on... it wasn't made to good and was ill fitting .... plus not knowing tha position of the roof and all that I got extra material at the ends of the side. Of the boot ... I think with alil more adjustin ill have it... and thanks to all tha people who've posted all tha info on here has really helped a lot even tho most of you guys and gals live on tha west coast I couldn't have done it without y'all.. it was really easy with all that info other wise I would still have a camper with tha top screwed down
Old 03-18-2013, 07:34 PM   #11

Name: Loyce
Trailer: Hunter 1
Oregon
Registry
Hi Frankie, Dave and all. We just got a Hunter this weekend! Spent the night in it and towed it 420 miles home. All went well and we are looking forward to fixing her all up. Planning on taking her to the Oregon gathering in April.
Attached Thumbnails
Buying her 2.jpg   Buying her  6.jpg  

Buying her  7.jpg  
Loyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 07:48 AM   #12

Texas
I spent tha night in mine when I first got it to even tho it was in my yard hahaha.. I love it ... wish I lived about 24 hours closer to tha west coast to goto some of yalls get togethers ... I live in a geological oddity here in southeast texas around the beaumont area ...two weeks from everywhere...we dnt have many gatherins like out west all the old trailers are in tha woods for hunting camp and not really takein care of and mostly old aluminum campers.... I found a lil gatherin about an hour from here but it was mostly canned hams and its goin on about the time our baby girls due so ill prolly miss it ... I wanna see some old glass anyway dnt care to much about tha ham cans.... have fun with your camper I know I am and it hasn't even left tha yard yet
Old 03-19-2013, 06:53 PM   #13

Frankie, driveway camping is actually encouraged for new owners of All Molded Fiberglass towables. You done good! There's a Facebook group called "Camping @ Home" I'm a member. It's not always about being away from home, it's where you sleep!
Old 03-19-2013, 07:36 PM   #14

Name: Denece
Trailer: Compact II
California
Registry
Wow! Congrats on new-to-you camper!

We got ours a little over a year ago, got it fixed up the way we wanted, and hubby tripped and badly broke a leg! Finally got out to the coast for a first trip last week!

Whoo Hoo! Glass campers are the bestest !
Denece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 07:42 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denece View Post
Whoo Hoo! Glass campers are the bestest !
YEAH!
Old 03-19-2013, 07:45 PM   #16

Texas
Thank you donna d we've been tent camping for a couple years and we camp in tha yard a bit to do alil camp fire cookin and weinie roasting ... my wife thought we wouldn't be able to go camp for awhile ... I told her babys like to go camping too... sometimes... tha lil hunter will come in handy to keep us camping with the lil one
Old 03-19-2013, 08:32 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankie View Post
....my wife thought we wouldn't be able to go camp for awhile ... I told her babys like to go camping too... sometimes... tha lil hunter will come in handy to keep us camping with the lil one
And you'll make a ton of memories along the way. Take lots of pictures! They'll help you in the "remembering" stage
Old 03-19-2013, 09:24 PM   #18

Trailer: 13 ft Compact II
Registry
Welcome Frankie, Congratulations on a good find!

Looks like you are jumping right in and fixing her up already. You got a good deal; it looks to be in pretty nice shape. Mine cost a bit less, but it needed to be gutted due to water had gotten in and rotted the floor. The quilted wall covering had mold on and under it, so that had to go too.

You really cleaned up the exterior beautifully. Lots of elbow grease was used, I can tell!

Enjoy it!

Fran
'74 Compact II
francene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:29 AM   #19

Texas
Well been wanting to do alil more work on the ol hunter but were dwn to the last few weeks before my new baby girl gets here .so my mom in law came dwn from oklahoma and we have a small home filled with baby stuff at tha moment so we only had one place for mom to stay in tha compact. She was all like your gonna make me stay in that lil thing and I said yep ....she's only 4foot9 so I can leave tha top down...hehehe.... now she's wanting one for her too she loves it and now I can't work on it till she leaves but oh well she's havein more fun campin in my yard then I've seen her have in awhile... makes me feel good to turn people on to the outdoors...
Old 03-27-2013, 08:08 AM   #20

Hmmmm. A FGRV as a Mother-in-law apt. Great idea and, if she gets cranky, you can always tow it away and park it at a local Wal-Mart while she is sleeping. (Lololol)