New, looking to buy and full time - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-16-2015, 04:19 AM   #1

Name: Jennifer
Trailer: Randy Bishop's 1978 Trillium 4500
California
New, looking to buy and full time

Hello,

Nice to find this site.

I travel for work for a couple years at a time and have been downsizing for years.

Its been a long time goal to rv full time, even though I've never rv'd before. However I did have a dry cabin in Alaska and I think I'd like to start out semi dry with a trailer since that might be easiest for me.

Initially I found a 13' burro on craigslist but after realizing it was likely a scam ad I started looking around for legit ads I found and joined this site.

Thanks!
Jen
edit to add: my vehicle is a 2004 Subaru awd that I am looking to keep and use as the tow so I'm optimistic about this
Gennaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 04:29 AM   #2

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
Welcome to the group, Jen. First thing is to check your manual and see what your vehicle is rated to tow. Subs many times are rated at 2500# or even less. But verify for your particular Sub.

Here's a link to some 'real world' trailer weights for you to mull over.
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...rld-43010.html
Enjoy the search, and explore this site. There is a lot of information here
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 04:30 AM   #3

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Jen,

We were like you, had traveled a lot for business but never RVed and new nothing about full timing. After 15 years of RV travels we feel it was one of our best decisions. We do recognize it's not for everyone.

We have bought all our RV's on Craig's List without any issues, as well our son's have bought 3 small trailers using the same technique. We set the Craig's List search area to a 200 miles of our radius location to minimize scamming. This allows us by to drive to see the trailer and meet the owners.

Wish you well and glad to answer any specific questions.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 04:48 AM   #4

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam Garlow View Post
Welcome to the group, Jen. First thing is to check your manual and see what your vehicle is rated to tow. Subs many times are rated at 2500# or even less. But verify for your particular Sub.

Here's a link to some 'real world' trailer weights for you to mull over.
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...rld-43010.html
Enjoy the search, and explore this site. There is a lot of information here
Thank you for that.

After checking I see my 2004 subaru legacy is rated to tow 2000lbs.

This probably means my total weight of everything, not just my tow but, what is in my car too.

Definitely glad to be here.

Also, definitely want to be safe!

Jen
Old 10-16-2015, 04:49 AM   #5

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Jen,

We were like you, had traveled a lot for business but never RVed and new nothing about full timing. After 15 years of RV travels we feel it was one of our best decisions. We do recognize it's not for everyone.

We have bought all our RV's on Craig's List without any issues, as well our son's have bought 3 small trailers using the same technique. We set the Craig's List search area to a 200 miles of our radius location to minimize scamming. This allows us by to drive to see the trailer and meet the owners.

Hello and thank you,

Very glad to find this forum. Helpful already!

Jen
Old 10-16-2015, 08:13 AM   #6

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Welcome to the forum, Jen!

Typically tow ratings allow at least the driver and a full tank of gas; some allow for a passenger as well. Mine does, and even includes a chart showing how the tow rating decreases as you add more passengers after the first two. I noticed in the chart that the more rearward the passengers were seated, the greater the impact on the tow rating. Each axle has limits as well as the vehicle as a whole. So, you won't be able to stuff the back of your 'Roo full of cargo and still tow the full 2000 pounds.

Bottom line is you may be able to make this work if you're careful. Quite a few 13' trailers will weigh in under 2000 pounds loaded, but not all. Newer, heavily-optioned, front wet bath models from Scamp and Casita can get pretty heavy. You shouldn't be considering anything larger. Do check out Pam's link. Post #297 has a downloadable spreadsheet of the data.

With an older vehicle, I'd want a trustworthy mechanic to give it a once-over before you spend money setting it up to tow. Because you will be towing close to your vehicle's limit, one often-overlooked feature you will need is electric brakes on the trailer. Not all 13'ers have them.

Best wishes on your "egg hunt"!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 11:34 AM   #7

Name: Carl
Trailer: 1994 Scamp 16
Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Jen,

Norm,
Can you please help me? How do you set the Craig's List search area to a 200 mile radius for locations? I looked at Craig's List and I could not figure out how to set the distance.
Thanks for your help!

If you don't know where you are going, you might wind up someplace else! Yogi Berra
Nut501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 11:56 AM   #8

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
I don't think that you can set distances with C/L, you can select different C/L's by geographical locale and, after your original search is set, use the pull down to select other nearby lists and the search will stay intact.

BUT... you will limit your search significantly at 200 miles. These are few and, sometimes, far between. Many of us have traveled over 500 miles to look and buy.
And that whole process is yet another topic you have to ask about.

Don't forget, there is also <<<fiberglass-rv-4sale.com>> to search in as well.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 12:04 PM   #9

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I believe some people use SearchTempest, an independently-operated website:
SearchTempest: Search all of Craigslist nationwide & more
It does allow you to specify a search radius. I've never used it so I can't comment on how well it does.

The site Bob mentioned (Molded Fiberglass Travel Trailers For Sale | Fiberglass RV's For Sale) is a good one, but since it is primarily a reposting site, many have been listed locally for many hours or even a day or two before they appear. They seem to be pretty good at filtering scams, though.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 12:46 PM   #10

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
There are a couple of search engines like Search Tempest . They work very well. You enter your zip code, search radius and item desired. I select 200 miles since I live in a relatively high population density area of the United States and seems to return the results I desire.

If I lived in the Midwest where the driving is easier and the people fewer I might pick a larger area.

It only takes minutes to see if Search Tempest will return the desired results.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 12:49 PM   #11

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Yep, and Jon made mention of "Hours" for a good reason. Many good deals are gone in hours. "You Snooze, You Looze" is the motto of the FGRV wannabe.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 06:47 PM   #12

California
My timeline to move just got ramped up due to extenuating circumstances.

This means I will not have available time off of work to drive the few hours I was hoping in order to look at two campers from here, (well, maybe I can manage to see the one in Alabama but, not likely.)

I'm going to post in the trailer wanted thread.

Wish me luck.

Jen in Tennessee near the Kentucky border