New Member - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-07-2011, 02:25 PM   #1

Name: Rick
Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Manitoba
Registry

I just bought a 1972 boler 13ft. it was completely gutted. where would I go to get new foam backed vinyl interior wall covering and what is it called. or would it be easier to just do it all in wood (I'm a carpenter)
slushark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 04:07 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Welcome Rick to FiberglassRV. Your question is one that has come up frequently. There is no direct replacement for the original ensolite. The biggest problem you're going to run into, are the corners and the compound curves. Doubtful you could get wood to conform to those curves. There's a custom search function here on FiberglassRV, you may wish to try it: Google Custom Search for FiberglassRV
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 09:20 PM   #3

Trailer: 1975 Boler 1300
Registry
Welcome. When I started my Boler reno I didn't think the ensolite could be salvaged but I was unable to find a replacement product. I eventually managed to clean, caulk and paint it to the point that it looks really good. One tip I received in my search was to try someone who specializes in auto and/or marine upholstery because some headliner products are similar to ensolite and might be a good substitute. Good luck in your search.
Randy D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 06:55 PM   #4

Manitoba
Registry
not much to salvage, this railer was in a accident and the previous owner tried to install buss windows
Old 08-09-2011, 07:12 PM   #5

Name: Conrad
Trailer: Bigfoot 3000 & Barth "slide-in" truck camper
Connecticut
Lucky You

Quote:
Originally Posted by slushark View Post
not much to salvage, this railer was in a accident and the previous owner tried to install buss windows
If it was in an accident, that means you have a blank slate to work with. That sounds ideal to me. I am envious. I'd rather start from scratch and build whatever I wanted. Also, it is hard to rip out something perfectly functional, and much easier when it is damaged.

If you are a carpenter, you will have no problems restoring it. If I might make a suggestion, why not a mix of wood paneling and some custom fit pieces, if weight is not an issue. I think a wood ceiling would look awesome! It made me think of a teak deck on a boat. One of my friends did a wood ceiling on his boat and it added some weight, but looks great and comes apart easy.

If it were me, I'd go light weight--foam insulation, simply because I want to tow with a 4 cylinder.
Night Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 07:13 PM   #6

Wood ceiling in a Boler would be interesting and would take some real craftsmanship as it's not flat and has no "corners."
Old 08-10-2011, 06:07 AM   #7

Name: Philip
Trailer: Escape 13 /Hyundai Santa Fe
British Columbia
Registry
Hi,
I just Googled "Ensolite" and it appears there is a peel and stick product out there that might work for you. Good luck. Sounds like a fun project!
Phil

Quote:
I just bought a 1972 boler 13ft. it was completely gutted. where would I go to get new foam backed vinyl interior wall covering and what is it called. or would it be easier to just do it all in wood (I'm a carpenter)
reeves99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 06:15 PM   #8

Manitoba
Registry
I'm leaning more towards pine to give it the cottage look, seeing that its replacing my cottage due to flooding on lake Manitoba. Also thought about making the cabinets out of antique furniture
Old 08-10-2011, 06:19 PM   #9

Quote:
I'm leaning more towards pine to give it the cottage look, seeing that its replacing my cottage due to flooding on lake Manitoba. Also thought about making the cabinets out of antique furniture
Rick, check out this topic... TOO COOL! Pine Cone is almost Done!
Old 08-12-2011, 07:03 PM   #10

Manitoba
Registry
awsome that gave me so many idea
Old 08-27-2011, 06:54 PM   #11

Manitoba
Registry
1972 Boler

Quote:
Well then renovations have started. Have did alot of fiberglass repairs around the windows and today I rebuilt the interior framework to suport a full double mattress plus a 110 volt refridgerator. so far I like what I'm seeing. Getting the foam off the wall is the hard part. looking forward to seeing my pine nest complete
Old 08-27-2011, 08:45 PM   #12

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
I can't wait for the pictures.
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote