New Member - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-13-2012, 06:19 AM   #1

Name: Anna
Trailer: 1982 13' Burro
New Jersey
Registry

Hi! I'm Anna and I just purchased a 13' 1982 Burro! I'm so excited I can't say. This is the first thing I have done since I retired that actually gives me a direction. I have two kids and 4 grandchildren but they all live a distance away and while I have never camped before (except in an RV with my son and his family) I'm looking forward to it! I purchased the Burro because I thought it was something I could handle by myself (I hope) and now I need to know everything I can about it. It is actually in pretty good condition for as old as it is and I could camp in it as is but, I do have a few things that I want done before I use it. The latch on the door handle has a tendency to UN-hook itself (even when locked) when it is rolling long distances. I haven't experienced it myself but the buyer warned me about it. Is this anyone else has experienced and how do I fix it? Thanks! And I'm looking forward to becoming a member of your community.
Ana A in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 08:13 AM   #2

Name: Laura
Trailer: Teardrop American Outbacker
Utah
Welcome to the club!
Old 04-13-2012, 08:15 AM   #3

Trailer: Trillium
Registry
Hi Anna. Welcome to FGRV! I know you are going to find lots of help and encouraged from the good folks here. I too, am a retired woman. Although I have owned and towed my Trillium (first a 13' and now a 15') for many years, it has always been alone. So I know you can do it too!

I will leave the technical stuff up to others but just wanted to welcome you and assure you. There are a lot of single women out there, towing their little 'house' and you can too!
Noreen Bradshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 08:40 AM   #4

Name: Dave
Trailer: Bigfoot
Newfoundland & Labrador
Welcome Anna. I am a relative newcomer to this community although Trilliums have been part of my life for a long time. I am still browsing through all the information and making notes. If you can't find what you are looking for just ask. Someone will point you in the right direction or give you the answer. There is a wealth of information here.
Our rigs are easily handled by one person. Just take your time, make a check list of what has to be checked before you hit the road and establish a routine. Safety first, always.
Happy trails... D.
Scouter Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 10:19 AM   #5

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
Welcome!
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 02:27 PM   #6

Name: Patti
Trailer: 1984 UHaul CT13
Colorado
Registry
Welcome Anna. YOU GO GIRL!! THERE ISN'T ANYTHING YOU CAN'T DO. The check list is a great idea and there will be things you like to add or delete from it. Happy Trails.
keekers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 02:49 PM   #7

Name: Julie
Trailer: 13' 2007 Scamp without bathroom
Arizona
Hi Ana !
realgranola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 03:39 PM   #8

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
welcome, anna! the freedom you'll experience and the confidence you will gain will be life-changing. one of your biggest challenges will most likely be backing up the trailer and hooking up alone. you'll get lots of tips here. overall, i have found that campers are very helpful so don't be afraid to ask, both here and in your campground of choice.
don't forget to include some photos of your burro so we can all have a peek!
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 05:40 PM   #9

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
When Floyd rebuilt my former Burro 17, the keys were lost so he drilled a hole and added a half-deadbolt lock (thumb-turn on inside). It worked great. That is an option you have.

You'll have to make some burritos in your Burro!
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 06:26 PM   #10

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hi Anna, welcome to FiberglassRV... we're glad you're here. I've owned a 16' Scamp for about ten years now and found it gets easier and easier with each trip. If you have any questions, we're here to help

Did someone say... pictures?
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 06:51 PM   #11

Trailer: U-Haul CT13
Registry
welcome Anna
Bruce Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 10:38 PM   #12

Trailer: 13 ft Compact II
Registry
Welcome

welcome, Ana. You've come to the right place; this is a very helpful group.
You'll learn as you use your trailer, but you'll get lots of good tips around here.

Fran
74 compact II
francene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 05:12 AM   #13

New Jersey
Registry
Welcome

Thanks Fran for you welcome...I'm looking forward to traveling with my new little Burro and talking more with the fiberglass community!
Old 04-14-2012, 09:10 AM   #14

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Welcome Ana, hope you enjoy your new trailer as much as I have enjoyed mine. As Donna said the more you use it the more comfortable you will get towing it around on your own.

re the door handle I dont know a thing about Burro's but door handle issues are pretty common so if you search through here you may find the answer. Common issues are that the door may not be hanging correctly (door hinges worn and need replacing) so the door lock does not hit the striker plate correctly when the door is closed. Or the door handle itself may just be old and needs replacing - pretty easy to do. As others have indicated adding a dead bolt lock may also fix it for you - not a bad idea to add a better lock to it anyways - cheap trailer locks are pretty easy to get open with or without a key.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 10:11 AM   #15

Name: Lil
Trailer: '84 13' Scamp & '14 homebuilt Benroy Teardrop
Minnesota
Registry
Welcome Anna,
I too am relatively new the world of hauling large objects behind my vehicle. Which reminds me, I should hook up my Scamp, go find a vacant parking lot, and practice backing up.
Enjoy your new adventure. It'll be even more wonderful when you're sitting in your Burro in a campground with the sound of rain on your roof as you look out the window at the poor souls trapped in their soggy tents while you enjoy a cuppa joe and a good book in warmth and comfort.
Take care,
Lil M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 11:54 AM   #16

New Jersey
Registry
Thanks for the advise...sounds like a good idea to get a better lock!
Old 04-14-2012, 12:00 PM   #17

New Jersey
Registry
Well I am also just learning how to navigate this website and didn't realize how many welcomes I received! Thank you all and I have a feeling I found a great group of people to be associated with!
Old 04-14-2012, 02:49 PM   #18

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
like carol, i cannot speak to burro locks..however, our outback lock was giving us a real bugger of a time last spring---it refused to lock. we were on the road on our way down to florida and not impressed. but when we had settled into our site near st. augustine, dennis sat down, took the whole lock apart, cleaned and lubed it and voila! it has worked like a charm ever since...it turned out to just be dirty. just a thought wishing you such an easy fix!!
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 08:08 PM   #19

New Jersey
Registry
Thanks Teresa; that does sound like the first step. I'll try that before replacing the lock. Since I see you have been able to post a picture of your camper, perhaps you can give me a hint as to how to do it! I can't seem to find an upload button to put my Burro on my Profile.