New Member - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-13-2012, 06:19 AM   #1
Name: Anna
Trailer: 1982 13' Burro
New Jersey

Hi! I'm Anna and I just purchased a 13' 1982 Burro! I'm so excited I can't say. This is the first thing I have done since I retired that actually gives me a direction. I have two kids and 4 grandchildren but they all live a distance away and while I have never camped before (except in an RV with my son and his family) I'm looking forward to it! I purchased the Burro because I thought it was something I could handle by myself (I hope) and now I need to know everything I can about it. It is actually in pretty good condition for as old as it is and I could camp in it as is but, I do have a few things that I want done before I use it. The latch on the door handle has a tendency to UN-hook itself (even when locked) when it is rolling long distances. I haven't experienced it myself but the buyer warned me about it. Is this anyone else has experienced and how do I fix it? Thanks! And I'm looking forward to becoming a member of your community.

Ana A in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 08:13 AM   #2
Name: Laura
Trailer: Teardrop American Outbacker
Welcome to the club!

Read more about camping and travel on Starling Travel:
lauramoncur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 08:15 AM   #3
Name: Noreen
Trailer: 1981 4500 Trillium
Hi Anna. Welcome to FGRV! I know you are going to find lots of help and encouraged from the good folks here. I too, am a retired woman. Although I have owned and towed my Trillium (first a 13' and now a 15') for many years, it has always been alone. So I know you can do it too!

I will leave the technical stuff up to others but just wanted to welcome you and assure you. There are a lot of single women out there, towing their little 'house' and you can too!
Noreen Bradshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 08:40 AM   #4
Name: Dave
Trailer: Trillium
Newfoundland & Labrador
Welcome Anna. I am a relative newcomer to this community although Trilliums have been part of my life for a long time. I am still browsing through all the information and making notes. If you can't find what you are looking for just ask. Someone will point you in the right direction or give you the answer. There is a wealth of information here.
Our rigs are easily handled by one person. Just take your time, make a check list of what has to be checked before you hit the road and establish a routine. Safety first, always.
Happy trails... D.
Scouter Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 10:19 AM   #5
Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Greg H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 02:27 PM   #6
Name: Patti
Trailer: 1984 UHaul CT13
Welcome Anna. YOU GO GIRL!! THERE ISN'T ANYTHING YOU CAN'T DO. The check list is a great idea and there will be things you like to add or delete from it. Happy Trails.
keekers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 02:49 PM   #7
Name: Julie
Trailer: 13' 2007 Scamp without bathroom
Hi Ana !
realgranola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 03:39 PM   #8
Name: theresa
Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
New Brunswick
welcome, anna! the freedom you'll experience and the confidence you will gain will be life-changing. one of your biggest challenges will most likely be backing up the trailer and hooking up alone. you'll get lots of tips here. overall, i have found that campers are very helpful so don't be afraid to ask, both here and in your campground of choice.
don't forget to include some photos of your burro so we can all have a peek!
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 05:40 PM   #9
Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
When Floyd rebuilt my former Burro 17, the keys were lost so he drilled a hole and added a half-deadbolt lock (thumb-turn on inside). It worked great. That is an option you have.

You'll have to make some burritos in your Burro!
To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven... --Ecclesiastes 3
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 06:26 PM   #10
Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Hi Anna, welcome to FiberglassRV... we're glad you're here. I've owned a 16' Scamp for about ten years now and found it gets easier and easier with each trip. If you have any questions, we're here to help

Did someone say... pictures?
Donna D.
Ten Forward - 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Double Yolk - 1988 16' Scamp Deluxe
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 06:51 PM   #11
Trailer: U-Haul CT13
welcome Anna
Bruce Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 10:38 PM   #12
Trailer: 13 ft Compact II

welcome, Ana. You've come to the right place; this is a very helpful group.
You'll learn as you use your trailer, but you'll get lots of good tips around here.

74 compact II
francene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 05:12 AM   #13
Name: Anna
Trailer: 1982 13' Burro
New Jersey

Thanks Fran for you welcome...I'm looking forward to traveling with my new little Burro and talking more with the fiberglass community!
Ana A in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 09:10 AM   #14
Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Welcome Ana, hope you enjoy your new trailer as much as I have enjoyed mine. As Donna said the more you use it the more comfortable you will get towing it around on your own.

re the door handle I dont know a thing about Burro's but door handle issues are pretty common so if you search through here you may find the answer. Common issues are that the door may not be hanging correctly (door hinges worn and need replacing) so the door lock does not hit the striker plate correctly when the door is closed. Or the door handle itself may just be old and needs replacing - pretty easy to do. As others have indicated adding a dead bolt lock may also fix it for you - not a bad idea to add a better lock to it anyways - cheap trailer locks are pretty easy to get open with or without a key.

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote