new member - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-19-2012, 08:34 AM   #1

Name: ernie
Trailer: currently shopping
New Jersey

Hi everyone. My name is ernie and i'm from blairstown,nj.I'm a 66 yr old disabled VET still loving camping.I've given up on tenting,and now looking for a inexpensive small,light camper.tv is a 2011 Honda crv w/4cyl. rated at 1500 lbs towing weight. We [wife pat and grandson-15 yrs old] want to make a trip next summer out west.We need to keep costs down,so will be looking for a used camper.I have researched many campers but haven't had the chance to view any.Next week we are going to a camper show.Hope we can see some small campers there.I've been told that they usually don't have much in the way of super lightweight campers.we'll see.I'm glad I found this group.Believe we can find helpful information and friends all in the same place.I will read the mail to help us find the right camper.I am already getting anxious for a camping trip. thank you all for having my family as members of your [now my] group. Ernie,Pat,Tyler
ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 08:43 PM   #2

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Hi Ernie, and welcome. A 13 foot egg trailer would tow fine, although it would help to also have some sort of add-a-room or awning for time spent outside, since it can seem a bit crowded...say, if 3 people all try to get ready for bed at once! You aren't likely to see any Scamps, Casitas, Bolers, etc at an rv show or lot. But you could attend a nearby rally to see some eggs, or call the mfr for a referral to a nearby owner who is willing to show his egg.

I know of no conventional boxy travel trailer under 1500 lbs, and besides, they pull like a brick due to their greater wind resistance.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 08:54 PM   #3

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Welcome Ernie, you are in the right place to find something that will fit your 1500lb tow limit. Some of the ones that come in under 1500lbs are the Hunter Compact Jr, !3' Burro and 13' U-Haul CT. If you take a look here at the Real World Trailer Weights you will see what the trailers actually weighed at trailer meets with all their owners gear in them. Unfortunately the 13' Scamps seem to weigh in at more than 1500lbs.

A good place to keep a look out for a fiberglass trailer is the Fiberglass-rv-4sale website.

Have fun looking at all the little trailers.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 04:22 AM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hi Ernie, welcome to FiberglassRV, we're glad you're here!

You'll find lots of kind, helpful people on the forums.

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 08:04 PM   #5

Trailer: Casita
Registry
Ernie,
There is a Scamp on Ebay.

Nice 94 Scamp Vintage Travel Trailer NEW JERSEY fiberglass Casita Burro in RVs & Campers | eBay Motors
Gene Masse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 08:06 PM   #6

Registry
This one might suit you better but a bit further to go to get it.
Also on Ebay.

1988 Scamp Vintage Travel Trailer fiberglass Casita Burro in RVs & Campers | eBay Motors
Old 09-24-2012, 08:46 PM   #7

Registry
Funny enough the 88 appears to be in better condition than the 94 although the 88 does look like it could use a new axle...... regardless both at 16' and will weigh in loaded at about 2500lbs which is 1000lbs over Erine's CRV's tow limit of 1500lbs.
Old 09-24-2012, 09:28 PM   #8

Registry
Carol,
Take another look at the 88 add. It is a 13'. It should be light enough for him.
Old 09-25-2012, 10:09 AM   #9

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Masse View Post
Carol,
Take another look at the 88 add. It is a 13'. It should be light enough for him.
Your right Gene! it is a 13' I was so dazzled by the shine on it missed that or the shine made it look bigger! Sadly still in need of an axle though.
Old 09-25-2012, 10:29 AM   #10

Registry
Carol,
I can't find why you say it needs an axle. What am I missing? I agree it has a nice shine. Evidently it got a good Poligolw or Red Max treatment. I did that to my 98 also with the same result.
Old 09-25-2012, 10:38 AM   #11

Registry
Gene, IMO its appears to be riding a little too low over the wheels. The seller does not mention a new axle on it and its not uncommon for one more than 25 years old to need one.
Old 09-25-2012, 10:56 AM   #12

Registry
Gene, there is a photo here thats a pretty good example to look to compare re the axle . These ones of an 04 13' - note how the wheel well sits higher above the tire rims than the one in the E-bay photo.

As said thats just my opinion based on only the photos - hard to say without actually looking under it at the axle arm etc. but due to the age alone on the one on Ebay I would not be a surprised if it needed one if it has not had a replacement previously.
Old 09-25-2012, 10:57 AM   #13

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
RE: 88 Scamp in KY.
I don't know, there seems to be a few red flags peeking out on that one. This could just be poor ad writing, but it is an experienced eBay seller.

1 Seller has over 800 eBay transactions, but sez he can't (won't) answer q's on line.
2 Replaced Liner?? carpet and Windows. Maybe severe water damage at some point.
(Don't they get a few Hurricanes in FL now and then?)
3 Selling in KY with FL Title ????
4 Sez there is a table to be installed, but the pics show an installed table
5 There is an outside vent over the right wheel with no apparent function
6 Gave no information about appliances
7 No Hood, vent or small window over stove
8 Does look like it might be riding a little low

I vote, proceed with caution, even the seller may not know what they have, or what it's real Hx is....

My WAG... Following water damage, it was gutted, the entire interior was redone and the interior parts put back into place.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 11:07 AM   #14

Registry
Yup the newer windows on it was what throw me off at first. Why how come. Also noted the picture of the inside of the door looked a little interesting- two layers of rat fur? hummmm wonder if a major door repair took place. Warped?,,. which would go with the possible water damage theory.
Old 09-25-2012, 05:55 PM   #15

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Yeah, THOSE are the same windows in my 1988 Scamp... wonder why they needed to be replaced?

Mine sure don't...
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 06:06 PM   #16

Registry
Dang Donna your right I was thinking that age had the older style.... but you and others have raised good questions on this one.... why indeed? Thats a big expense to put out, unless of course as its been suggested it got flooded out - but even then one would think the windows would have been salvageable - unless they were exposed to salt water.....may be more issues with the axle than just being a little saggy if it did get flooded out.