New Member - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-22-2013, 03:02 PM   #1

Name: Ron
Trailer: Scamp
California
Smile New Member

Hi Folks!
1st post on this site... I don't actually have one yet, but in 2 or 3 mos. I'll be ordering a new, 13' Scamp. It'll be pretty standard except for the option pkg. they show in their pricing info.
I've RV'd or tent camped all my life until my stroke, then Wife's death put a big dent in all that "stuff".
For the last 2 yrs. I've been doin' it with a little "A-Lite" fold-up, but now, I've proved to the kids that I'm OK with camping by myself.
I do have one question that, hopefully, some body can answer. I've usually had an awning on any RV in the past. I'm inclined to order my Scamp with one but the fact that the brackets are riveted to the shell worries me a little.
Has there been any trouble with leaks occurring from brackets becoming loose on the Scamp?
Also, what do people think of the Fiamma awning that Scamp is using now?
RonOld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 05:20 PM   #2

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
to the Forum Ron.
My kids still worry about me too. But next month I'll be soloing myself.
I expect to have a great time at a egg rally.

I don't have a Scamp, but some Scamp owners will be along.
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 05:45 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hi Ron, to FiberglassRV, we're glad you're here

I too am at the age my child worries about me. Roll reversal is great! AND, you'll find your Scamp to be a ton of fun

I can't help with the awning issue. Mine is after market and bolted to the roof. BUT, all these trailers no matter the brand, require maintenance. The rivets for the awning shouldn't be anymore work than keeping an eye on the rivets anyplace else on the trailer.

Others will pop in with more info.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 06:09 PM   #4

Name: Eric
Trailer: Scamp 13
Michigan
My scamp is a 2009 and has the older type of awning. Mine bolts through the roof. We have put about 10,000 miles on it and have had no looseness or leaks and the way it is built it does not look likely to.

We always have had awnings also. However, this year we didn't use it at all. We have moved towards using a gazebo in situations when we used to use an awning. We can turn it into a screen room when necessary and it is much bigger.
ericw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 12:55 PM   #5

Name: Ron
Trailer: Scamp
California
Thanks a lot Eric. You know, I got to thinking when I read how little you've used yours. Actually, the 2 places I love to camp the most won't allow me to sit in the shade of a Scamp sized awning because of site configuration (low parking barricade, etc.) Also, I'll be pulling it with a Jeep Patriot, which means I really have to watch out for wind drag.
So... You've helped me decide I don't need an awning.
Thanks again
I've found a good, drive in, umbrella anchor that will work fine & I'll go that way.
RonOld is offline   Reply With Quote