New Member - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-31-2014, 11:22 AM   #21

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Karen View Post
I didn't mean 'exactly' 16 ft. I meant 'about' 16 ft. The advice about going to rallies is good. I'll try to hit at least a couple this summer. If I can get inside a few of those, I'll have a better idea of what I need. As for a vehicle, I'll be buying something to match my trailer of choice.
Here is one coming up http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...-mn-61887.html
Old 01-31-2014, 05:29 PM   #22

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Welcome and best of luck finding the perfect egg for your retirement adventure.

I second what Tim said attending a rally is far and away the best and most fun way to shop for a FGRV. The second post "2014 Rally Map on Google Maps" may help you find something to attend. Rallies, Get-togethers, Molded Meets (Upcoming) - Fiberglass RV Grab your tent and head to one or spend a night in a motel, Saturday tends to be the prime day for open house type activities.

Different manufacturers put more focus and emphasis on producing campers aimed at different parts of the camper market. Much the same as Ford, Mercury, and Lincoln while having much in common focus on meeting the needs and desires of different market segments, at different price points.

Just as you can order a Ford with options that add value and price to move it into the Mercury or even Lincoln price point OR purchase the up market brand with value added options already included you can do the same with trailers.

I won't attempt to put the trailer manufacturers in some sort of order but Scamp tends to have some less expensive utilitarian offerings with "deluxe" packages or options that move the cost/features up to those of the up market brands "standard" packages. They have been making much the same campers for decades.

Escape tends to be a bit more up market and has put some effort into designing to meet the needs and desires of the retiring and empty nest baby boomer market. They offer some larger models with more amenities as standard that are geared toward this market. As have some of the other newer manufactures of FGRV's.

The 15 to 17 foot models offer a nice balance of more room and a easy to tow package.

What you need for a vehicle to tow with depends on the camper, if you just wanted to sort of scope out vehicles I would shoot for something with about a 3,500 lb. tow capacity as a general guideline.

I think you are being smart, you have time to narrow down your choices in campers, possibly pick up a good late model used one if opportunity comes up and shop for a good deal on a vehicle that will match up with your narrowed down list of campers.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 05:58 PM   #23

Name: Karen
Trailer: shopping
Wisconsin
Thanks for all your advice. I am going to attend a rally or two this summer.

I have tent camped all my life. I don't care about fancy as much as I do practical.

I believe I will only be in my trailer for sleeping and bad weather. I will cook outside. I want a bathroom just in case I eat a bad burrito.

I want heat, but don't plan to need it. I hate a/c, but may need it in an emergency.

Internet connection (I'm learning about this), and energy efficiency--within the trailer and with the towing vehicle, are important to me.

I want solar so I have more freedom to get off the grid.

An awning or a screen tent are on my list.

I will take my 10' kayak and my bike with me. So I have to figure that out.

And my little Toto dog, Pico, will be with me, too.

I love to live small.
Miss Karen is offline   Reply With Quote