New member - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-03-2015, 11:01 AM   #1

Name: Bill
Trailer: in the market for fiberglass
Florida

Florida resident looking for 15-18 foot TT to travel the west for months at a time. I like Escape 17 plan A, Bigfoot 17.5FB, Eggcamper 17 plan A so far but still looking. Primarily one person with occasional guest.
rvbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 11:19 AM   #2

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Welcome to the group Bill

You are in a tough area to buy as, while there are a fair number of FGRV's in FL, there are a lot buyers ready to pounce on most of them.

But tell us a bit more:
What will you be towing with? Some FGRV's are deceptively heavy, and the 17.5', 2500 series BigFoot is the most deceptive of all.

What is your acceptable age and condition. There is a full range FGRV''s out there, from 2015's that are like new, to 1973's that are like new, to fixers of all ages.

Can you travel outside of FL to Look/Buy, what is your range.

And what is your approximate budget. Like weight, FGRV's can be deceptively $$$.

Good Luck hunting

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 11:25 AM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry

Welcome, Bill!

I believe the Escape 17A has no bathroom, but the 17B does. I'm asking because your other choices do have a bath. The Bigfoot 17.5s are 4-season trailers, and consequently a lot heavier than the others. The EggCamper is all-electric, so you have to have hook-ups or a generator. With only one person and an occasional guest, you might also consider Scamps and Casitas in the 16-17' range. They're going to be much more plentiful that any of the choices you mentioned.

Do you have a budget range in mind? Your choices are not only rarer; they will likely be pricier as well.

Best wishes on you "egg hunt"!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 02:53 PM   #4

Florida
Thanks for raising these questions Bob and Jon. I do want a bathroom so should have said Escape plan B. I want a mattress for the large bed. I assume I can add that to most RVs. Good point on the Egg- all electric does not work for me. I would like optional solar if possible. Budget is up to $25,000 or so. I plan to buy a 6 cyl 4Runner to tow it with. Ill drop the Bigfoot idea due to cost and your weight comment. Ill do some research on Scamps and Casitas. I am a photographer so could be in 30 degree temps in spring/fall. My retirement is about 12 months away so I will check the order time for the Escape in January but keep my eyes open for something used in the meantime. thanks for the help. I need it. I might travel a ways for an escape since my friend has one I have camped in.
Old 10-03-2015, 05:45 PM   #5

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry

With your budget, the Escape seems like a viable option. It can be ordered with insulation underneath and double pane windows, and it has a small dinette in front that would let you set up the rear dinette as a permanent bed. They might even build it that way with a better mattress. Drawback right now is 2016 production is sold out. They plan to take orders for 2017 starting in January. Used ones are rare and command near-new prices. Good news is that, for now at least, the exchange rate is in your favor.

Another possibility is to start with a used Scamp or Casita for a season or two to see how this RV thing works for you, then order a new Escape (or whatever) if you want. Resale prices of molded fiberglass trailers are very strong, so it's not uncommon to break even or come out ahead. And you'll have something to use while you wait.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 08:33 PM   #6

Florida
Great info Jon. Thanks for all the advice. Ill work toward the Escape but watch out for a Scamp or Casita for now. I have learned a lot in my first day on the forum. Thanks to all.
Old 10-04-2015, 02:28 AM   #7

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Hi Bill and welcome. I think you are the first person I've seen that is OK and willing to get a different tow vehicle so openly to fit a trailer that will work for you. Good job.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 05:03 AM   #8

Florida
Thanks Bob. My current vehicle is a 4 cyl SUV and 8 years old so I had a new vehicle in the budget within 12 months already.
Old 10-04-2015, 05:44 AM   #9
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvbill View Post
I plan to buy a 6 cyl 4Runner to tow it with. Ill drop the Bigfoot idea due to cost and your weight comment. Ill do some research on Scamps and Casitas. I am a photographer so could be in 30 degree temps in spring/fall.
Bill, many of us here are avid photographers so you are in a great group.
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 09:37 AM   #10
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvbill View Post
Great info Jon. Thanks for all the advice. Ill work toward the Escape but watch out for a Scamp or Casita for now. I have learned a lot in my first day on the forum. Thanks to all.
Join each of the brand forums and watch for classified posting to pop up. Many FG trailers never even make it onto Craigslist since they can sell within hours. When I sold my Casita 17LD it took 27 hours from posting on a forum to waving it bye-bye headed out my driveway.

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 08:59 AM   #11
Commercial Member

Name: Tony
Trailer: Dutchman
Massachusetts
Thanks for joining Bill, it's great to have you here

Tony
1ATony is offline   Reply With Quote