New member - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-23-2016, 04:48 PM   #1

Name: Rick
Trailer: Boler
Michigan

I am Rick W. And am new here. I was doing a remodel job in central MI when I spotted this little thing in the woods and began to ask questions. I pulled it home the next day. I had and sold a tear drop so am looking forward to the added space. I have been reading a lot and appreciate the many insightful messages. I just started the remodeling.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Rick W in MI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 07:00 PM   #2

Name: Wendy Lee
Trailer: Scamp 13' Standard
New York
Registry
Hi Rick and welcome! You will find lots of helpful folks here to guide your resto journey. What's your plans for your first project?

Sent from my VS985 4G using Fiberglass RV mobile app
CampyTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 12:13 PM   #3

Michigan
I started out with a major cleaning. I used a weak acid and it took the inch of moss right off. It did take a bit of scrubbing but cleaned up nicely. I then had to move the non paying tenants out. The trailer is sealed very well so the mice built nest under and around the water tank. It was shot so I removed that. Inside there had to be thousands, I quit counting after ten, of the big black ants. And about the same amount of the small ones. I put all the bedding in plastic bags and taped shut. I put a bug bomb spray in there and vacumed out the rest the next day. I have the trailer up on stands now as the frame is very solid and am checking the bearings etc now. I will do all new cushions in side. New sink stove and have read where many have put AC in I would like to also. I'm have been a boat owner so would like to do a new table, doors and some trim in mahogany and teak using nautical hardware. Fill some holes in and out and repaint all. Still dreaming. I'll keep reading, dreaming and posting. I'm planning on taking my time. Sorry if the picture is sideways I'm sending from my phone and will in the future send all pics to my desk top review and send from the office.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 07-25-2016, 11:19 AM   #4

New York
Registry
Whoa! Look at that. Great job cleaning her up! Hope the ants didn't do any wood eating as the big ones sound like the carpenter variety. Are you going to replace the water tank? The mahogany and teak cabinetry sounds awesome!

Old 07-25-2016, 12:37 PM   #5

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
Looking good, amazing what a bit of clean up does.
Sounds like you have big plans to fix it right up and are jumping right in.
Loved the non paying tenants statement.
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 11:41 AM   #6

Michigan
I have been thinking about the water tank issue. Do you think it would be wise and advisable for me to locate a tank and install it? Option B carry water in other containers???
Old 07-28-2016, 12:11 PM   #7

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick W in MI View Post
I have been thinking about the water tank issue. Do you think it would be wise and advisable for me to locate a tank and install it? Option B carry water in other containers???
Try camping without the tank for a while. If you find yourself missing the ability to use the inside faucet, then you'll know.

We have a water tank, hand pump faucet and a city water connection. We've never used any of it, and haven't missed it. We keep a 6 gallon jug with a turn faucet at our outside kitchen and a gallon of bottled water inside.

But that's me, and we all have different ways of camping. And two years from now, we may start using all of it… who knows? So I'm leaving it in place.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 01:26 PM   #8

New York
Registry
Questions to ask yourself might be...do you plan on washing camp dishes, etc or using paper plates? Could you just wash dishes outside trailer in a bus pan, for any you may have?

Do you like idea of running water for face washing or toothbrushing? Like Jon says, camp a bit and see how ya feel. I have a sink and water pump and faucet. Love it and wouldn't want to not have it. But that's just me.

You can always spend money on it later!

Old 07-28-2016, 04:25 PM   #9

Name: Herman & Ann
Trailer: Casita SD
Pensacola Florida
Hi Rick and welcome. Looks like the trailer is cleaning up nice keep up the work. Hope to meet on the road someday.
Herman M Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 06:37 PM   #10

Michigan
Jon, I think using it a few times would be wise to see how I get along without a tank. I would think I could use a five gallon tote can and just use that for now but keep a pump type faucet in the event I go that route. Wendy is correct in I do value personal hygiene but feel that might be accomplished through other methods.

Thanks for your responses and welcomes. I feel this could be a fun community to be a part of.

Rick
Attached Thumbnails
DSC02828.jpg   DSC02834.jpg  

DSC02925.jpg  
Old 07-28-2016, 09:18 PM   #11
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Lookin purty now!

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 03:55 AM   #12

Name: Lisa
Trailer: Boler 1700
Michigan
When we had our boler, we ran a tube from the hand pump to a gallon of water stored under the sink. And would just refill the container under the sink as necessary. We never used as much water using the hand pump as we did when using a water hook up. It worked really well.
Lisa in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 07:41 AM   #13

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa in Michigan View Post
When we had our boler, we ran a tube from the hand pump to a gallon of water stored under the sink. And would just refill the container under the sink as necessary. We never used as much water using the hand pump as we did when using a water hook up. It worked really well.
Member Ian G. connected a 5 gallon Igloo-type container parked outside the trailer. He replaced the push-button dispenser with a brass fitting to connect a water line. He also had an electric pump inside, rather than a hand pump. Easy to clean and refill, and no inside storage lost. Here's a link…

Proud Canadian Boler
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 08:02 AM   #14

Name: Emily
Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16
Colorado
Registry
What a difference a wash makes! Looks great
emij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 09:54 AM   #15

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Looks great! Let me know when you're ready to decorate as I love to sew and talk decorating our fiberglass RVs.
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 06:22 PM   #16

Michigan
Thanks Jon and Lisa for your reply's. I gave it thought and did decide to eliminate the fresh water tank. I did find a company that can get me the same ten gallon water tank and will put the fittings in the locations I give them. I didn't think it was worth the few hundred it would cost me. I will go with one of the options that includes the use of a portable and cleanable water source when roughing it.

I have the body off the frame so I can inspect the frame for any damage and make repairs. The frame is in remarkably good condition. I do have it to a local welder to have a new 2'' A-frame coupler welded on as the other one is in very bad shape. I bought four stabilizer jacks that will be mounted to the frame. I am having plates and supports welded so I can attach the jack stands and when not in use they will be folded up and be flush with the bottom of the frame so I don't loose any ground clearance. I will then sand blast and powder coat. I did buy new hub kits that I will install after painting is done. I may start a new thread showing pictures as I get the frame work done and begin to put the body back on it. I have a busy 6-8 weeks ahead with work and travel so will try to have it on the frame early October.
Old 08-14-2016, 05:22 PM   #17

Name: john
Trailer: Compact Junior
Michigan
Great find Rick!!

Where are you at in Michigan?

There's a great marine store in Benton Harbor called Wolf's, kind of a Big Lots or Ollie's full of boat stuff.

I mention it because they have a large "teak bin" and lots of teak and mahogany items.

Also a big variety of towing stuff, new and used like axles, hubs, tires, bearings, etc.

I have no connection to the store, other than I shop there a lot.

You did a great clean up, hope to see interior pics.
john madill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 07:14 PM   #18

Michigan
Thanks for that John. That sounds like the kind of place I like to walk through and get ideas and such.

I live on the south side of GR near M6 and 131. I was thinking thinking I might have to take a drive there, look around and kick keels as well. I tend to run Holland, Grand Haven, Pentwater and ports north. I haven't gone south of Saugatuck so I should just drive down and check it out. Benton Harbor is about 80 Miles from me. I always stay on the highway and drive on by. Sounds good to me so thanks for the tip.