New member - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-21-2017, 06:07 PM   #1

Name: Dave
Trailer: In the market
MA

Hi all. I'm Dave, I just joined a few days ago. I don't own a trailer yet. I'm thinking of ordering a 13' Scamp and towing it with my 2013 Subaru Outback. I think the outback will handle it just fine. I considered the 16' but I feel that is pushing it. Any thoughts?
I noticed there's a lot of knowledgeable people here.
Dave

Old 09-21-2017, 06:32 PM   #2

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16
Michigan
Dave, first of all, welcome to the Forum. We pulled a Scamp 13 with a 2011 Forester without any problems. It had a 2,400 lb tow capacity with a 200 lb hitch weight limit. In 2013 they redesigned the Forester and limited it to 1,500 lbs, but I don't think the Outback was affected? Check your owners manual. I believe it is good for over 3,000 lbs tow capacity. If so; you should do fine with fully loaded Scamp 13. The 16 is quite a bit heavier. There are some on the forum who pull 16's with Outbacks and seem to do alright. I think they are right on the edge of suitability for the 16 personally, especially if you plan to do any mountain traveling. Good luck with your search. You landed at the right place.

Tom

Old 09-21-2017, 07:59 PM   #3

Name: Lisa
Trailer: 1992 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Welcome Dave, I'm not very knowledgeable, but I do own a 13' Scamp. Have owned it for less than 2 months and I LOVE it!

From what I understand there is a waiting list from Scamp when ordering new, so it's probably best to get on the list ASAP. I read there's a $500 refundable deposit should you change your mind before the build date, so it seems a non-risk way to get in line.

Just curious if you think you would want the bunk-bed option or the front restroom-shower/closet option?
Old 09-21-2017, 10:40 PM   #4

Name: Eric
Trailer: 1987 Casita 16
Illinois
deposit refundable

The scamp deposit is fully refundable. We ordered on in June, with a Jan 15th delivery as the soonest. I hear they are even further out that that now. We will likely cancel since I am rebuilding a Casita 16. We did some research, but hadn't discovered this forum, and we were not seeing any FG for sale. They are posted here, but tend to go fast if priced at all where the market is at. Lisa got her's at a steal! But that doesn't happen often.
Old 09-21-2017, 10:58 PM   #5

MA
Thank you for the information. Lisa I'd want the restroom shower/closet option.
Old 09-22-2017, 02:02 AM   #6

Name: Gerry
Trailer: Boler 13 ft / 31 ft Holiday Rambler
Maine
Dave welcome to the group, First off would like to extend the invite to the 2018 Spring Fling in New England Rally in Chocorua NH next May 17-20. Go to the rally section for details.
We had a Subaru and was thinking of towing our 13 ft Boler and found out that unless it had the factory tow pkg. it would be a bit much.
Our manual said it could tow 2000# and the Boler was 1800 dry but when I added all the stuff that I would need camping in the back of the Subaru and in the camper I felt it was pushing it too much.
Towing is only one aspect...Breaking is another. My trailer doesn't have trailer breaks so I needed to think about that too.
That being said...See you on the road and at the Spring Fling Rally. Reservations are now being taken.
Old 09-22-2017, 02:46 AM   #7

MA
Thanks Gerry i'll have to check that rally out. The 13' Scamp is 1300lbs. according to the manual my outback with the 2.5L engine can pull 2700lbs. so I think I should be okay. I'm also going to get trailer brakes.
Dave
Old 09-22-2017, 03:43 AM   #8

Name: Gerry
Trailer: Boler 13 ft / 31 ft Holiday Rambler
Maine
You may be fine, I did fail to mention this was a goo 15 years ago that we had our Subaru. It also had the 2.5 Boxer engine but it was more the Tranny I was worried about. You may be fine.
I now tow with a V6 Chevy Blazer and after the last trip that is acting up so maybe time for a new Tow Vehicle.
Good Luck
Old 09-22-2017, 07:20 AM   #9

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
North Carolina
Best to stick with the 13 footer.
Old 09-22-2017, 07:38 AM   #10

Name: claire
Trailer: 2013 casita pd
Texas
be sure to weigh your trailer/tongue when you get it loaded to make sure it still meets the tow requirements for your vehicle. too many owners fail to do this and it's absolutely crucial for safe towing that you know these weights. best of luck on your scamp acquisition.............
Old 09-22-2017, 08:59 AM   #11

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
The limiting factor on the Outback is the tongue weight rating of 200 pounds. Since a travel trailer requires at least 10% tongue weight for stable, sway-free towing, that means you are effectively limited to a 2000 pound trailer.

Scamp 16's typically weigh 2400-2800 pounds loaded for travel, so they're out, as far as I'm concerned.

A Scamp 13 with front bath will weigh around 1700-1900 pounds loaded. Front bath Scamp 13's are often equipped with two LP tanks to run the water heater as well as fridge and furnace. Two full tanks will also put you over the 200 pound tongue weight, so I would stick with a single tank and monitor it closely.

I think you'll find newer Outbacks with the CVT transmission also have a caveat in the owner's manual reducing the tow rating by 50% when climbing a long grade in high ambient temperatures. I don't recall how long or how hot, but it may mean you have to take a break for a cool-down on a really long grade in triple digit temperatures.

In spite of the limitations, Outbacks are popular tow vehicles for 13' molded trailers.
Old 09-23-2017, 11:35 AM   #12

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: Boler 1978 17' 4" Earlton Ont Model
Ontario
Registry
1500 lbs for a real ultra light would never be a problem
1`3'
Old 09-24-2017, 05:40 AM   #13

MA
Thanks everyone for your input. Your all very helpful and I appreciate it. I'll be visiting this site often.
Dave