New Member First Post... - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-23-2010, 08:48 PM   #1
Member
 
Trailer: 1999 Burro
Posts: 53
Hi just joined and have really enjoyed looking through the fourms.

I am a full time artist, doing about 12 shows a year and hotels have gotten old and expensive. I love the idea of a small fiberglass as a home away from home. I do a lot of backpacking and tent camping, so these little guys suit my temperament much better that a big travel trailer. I will be towing with a full size van, but I don't want to hassle with a large trailer in traffic, ect.

I am currently looking at a scamp 16 and a burro 17. They both have everything I need. Sleeping for 2, toilet, bath. The Burro has an icebox rather than a fridge (not a big deal) and does not have a/c (big deal). If I end up going with the burro, I will have to add air. I have seen some good ideas in the forum and will be mining those.

Any insight into these two trailers? They appear to be almost equals in most ways.
__________________

__________________
joelh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 08:53 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Chester Taje's Avatar
 
Name: Ches
Trailer: 1992 Kustom Koach 17 FT
British Columbia
Posts: 4,897
I got no in put but welcome to the forum.
__________________

__________________
Retired Underground Coal Miner.
Served in Canadian Army (1PPCLI)
Chester Taje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 10:00 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Donna D.'s Avatar
 
Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Posts: 24,432
Hi Joel, I second Ches' welcome! Frankly, I don't think you'd go wrong with either... I own a Scamp. If you're looking to buy used (obviously the Burro would be used), make certain it's in the maintenance shape you are comfortable with. Keep us posted on your progress and I'm certain others will be along shorty with more/better answers.

__________________
Donna D.
Ten Forward - 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Double Yolk - 1988 16' Scamp Deluxe
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 10:27 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Bryan L.'s Avatar
 
Trailer: 1991 Scamp 16 ft
Posts: 304
Welcome! Will you have access to electricity to run the air at all of your shows? Might be a moot point because if you don't have electricity, you won't have air unless you buy a generator too. Adding air is possible but if it already has it, that's a plus that you won't have to worry about.
__________________
"The babbling that I brook." - Pink Floyd

1991 Scamp 16'
Bryan L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 10:39 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Name: N/A
Trailer: 1985 AND 1988 Casita Patriot Deluxe 13'ers. 10 eggs shy of a carton!
Oregon
Posts: 184
Registry
Quote:
Hi just joined and have really enjoyed looking through the fourms.

I am a full time artist, doing about 12 shows a year and hotels have gotten old and expensive. I love the idea of a small fiberglass as a home away from home. I do a lot of backpacking and tent camping, so these little guys suit my temperament much better that a big travel trailer. I will be towing with a full size van, but I don't want to hassle with a large trailer in traffic, ect.

I am currently looking at a scamp 16 and a burro 17. They both have everything I need. Sleeping for 2, toilet, bath. The Burro has an icebox rather than a fridge (not a big deal) and does not have a/c (big deal). If I end up going with the burro, I will have to add air. I have seen some good ideas in the forum and will be mining those.

Any insight into these two trailers? They appear to be almost equals in most ways.
Oooh, are you looking at this? http://www.fiberglass-rv-4sale.com/for-sal...-travel-trailer
I saw it this evening and almost fell over.

I've been researching trailers for nearly a year, but am not yet ready to pull the trigger ($). Welcome to the forum! I'd bet that, having a van for storing much of your stuff, you'd be happy with even a 13'.

I'll let others chime in on the Scamp vs Burro, but I for one like the smooth interiors of the Burro. I wonder if a roof-mounted A/C is incompatible with the seams on this design, though....not that you can't go in through a window or a custom portal.
__________________
Michele B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 02:24 AM   #6
Moderator
 
Matt in SV's Avatar
 
Name: Matt
Trailer: U-Haul VT16, Escape 19
California
Posts: 987
Registry
Quote:
Oooh, are you looking at this? http://www.fiberglass-rv-4sale.com/for-sal...-travel-trailer
I saw it this evening and almost fell over.

I've been researching trailers for nearly a year, but am not yet ready to pull the trigger ($). Welcome to the forum! I'd bet that, having a van for storing much of your stuff, you'd be happy with even a 13'.

I'll let others chime in on the Scamp vs Burro, but I for one like the smooth interiors of the Burro. I wonder if a roof-mounted A/C is incompatible with the seams on this design, though....not that you can't go in through a window or a custom portal.
Joel you should get all over that right away. It would be nice at twice the price, and will go quick!

Regards,

Matt
__________________
Planning our next Escape!
Matt in SV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 08:25 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Donna D.'s Avatar
 
Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Posts: 24,432
Quote:
Joel you should get all over that right away. It would be nice at twice the price, and will go quick!

Regards,

Matt
Too late, already sold.
__________________
Donna D.
Ten Forward - 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Double Yolk - 1988 16' Scamp Deluxe
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 08:57 AM   #8
Member
 
Trailer: 1999 Burro
Posts: 53
Quote:
Too late, already sold.
Actually it is the other one that is listed. I talked to the guy yesterday and will be looking at it over the weekend.
__________________
joelh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 10:14 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Kevin K's Avatar
 
Name: Kevin K
Trailer: 17' Casita
Mpls,Minnesota
Posts: 3,052
Registry
Try this site http://craiglook.com/all.html?q=Scamp
__________________
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 12:57 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Robin G's Avatar
 
Trailer: 2007 Casita
Posts: 3,440
Joe, Like others I don't have a strong opinion on any brand other than to say you will know which one is right for you when you see it I would suggest taking the Buyers Check List with you when looking at any trailer. Buyers Check list That will help you look for things that could be potential issues down the road. Welcome, have fun on the hunt (it really is a fun experience) for your perfect trailer.


I am assuming you will be camping in campgrounds/rvparks with services if your considering a air conditioner at least while on your business travels so I would definitely say a egg with air already installed would be what I would look for rather than having to fit one in. I am a firm believer in factory install. Mostly because the structure is in there for the weight of the air conditioner unit itself. Adding one in after the fact can be done, but not without some thought and hard work. Again, enjoy the search!
__________________
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 11:02 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
bill&sandra's Avatar
 
Name: Bill & Sandra Hanna
Trailer: 19' 2011 Escape
Texas
Posts: 227
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to bill&sandra
Welcome! You've joined the merry band of egg owners! A fun bunch!
If you are interested in installing a side ac in your egg, my husband put one in our Scamp 19 project rv last summer. Did a very nice job--and that's from Mz. Picky Wife! He can surely give you some tips when you need it.
__________________
bill&sandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 01:45 PM   #12
Member
 
Trailer: 1999 Burro
Posts: 53
Quote:
Welcome! You've joined the merry band of egg owners! A fun bunch!
If you are interested in installing a side ac in your egg, my husband put one in our Scamp 19 project rv last summer. Did a very nice job--and that's from Mz. Picky Wife! He can surely give you some tips when you need it.
Thanks, would love some tips, I will send you a pm. The cost of a rooftop unit is sending me into consideration of a small window type.
__________________
joelh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 07:41 PM   #13
Member
 
Name: JerryPEI
Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Posts: 52
Quote:
Thanks, would love some tips, I will send you a pm. The cost of a rooftop unit is sending me into consideration of a small window type.
Welcome to the fibre family. If you are still deciding, don't overlook the Escape...made in Chilliwack B.C. (Canada). Sold my 16' Scamp last fall and recently took delivery of our new Escape 17'. A far superior trailer in every way....particularily no rivets and no exposed wood floor. Check out their website www.escapetrailer.com
__________________

__________________
Jerry Cranford is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Member and my Rig David Jack Hi, I am.... 29 10-25-2008 01:49 PM
I am a new member saying hello. Flint Stevens Hi, I am.... 12 03-24-2007 01:26 AM
Not new member stevenff General Chat 7 12-03-2005 06:09 PM
new member Brian N. T. Hi, I am.... 0 12-31-1969 07:00 PM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:52 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.