New member from BC - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-26-2016, 10:34 AM   #1

Name: Terry
Trailer: In the market
British Columbia
New member from BC

Hello,

My name is Terry. I have a young family and we are looking at getting our first trailer for camping (tired of tenting!). A good friend directed us to this site for some great information and to look at the sales on the site.

I have a 6 speed manual Toyota Tacoma Quad Cab 4x4 Sr5 with the towing package and can tow 6500lbs so definitely looking for something light and small.

Cheers,

Terry
tsaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 10:40 AM   #2

Trailer: 19 ft Escape
Welcome Terry
Having also had a Tacoma I can safely say that most every small fiberglass trailer will be perfectly towable by your truck.
Cheers
Doug
Doug P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 07:11 AM   #3

Name: Mitzi
Trailer: LilSnoozy 12/01/16, Tug 2012 Dodge Citadel
Florida
Welcome from the sunny South.
Old 04-27-2016, 07:30 AM   #4

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Welcome, Terry!

Had to chuckle… 6500 pounds is large by molded fiberglass standards! I'm guessing you're wanting to stay well under that limit, though, since you be traveling with kids, toys,… You still have quite a few choices.

Are you looking for a basic trailer with beds and maybe a small galley, or are you looking for something larger with oven, microwave, AC, water heater, toilet and shower? How many beds? Upper bunks, where equipped, tend to be weight-limited, so the age of the kids comes into play. Also, are you unusually tall, as many molded fiberglass trailers have limited headroom?

We are four (girls ages 10 and 13) and below average size-wise, so we all fit in a Scamp 13 with front bunks. Like you, it was a step up from tenting, and we still spent most of our time outside, including cooking. The trailer is really just a very nice tent and, occasionally, a retreat from bad weather with the beds converted back into seating.

Happy hunting!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 08:45 AM   #5

Name: Jony
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Hey there Terry

Welcome man! Glad to share your interest in this forum. We are rooting for you that you will find your perfect trailer for you and your family.
Saltair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 08:58 AM   #6

Name: Claire
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 4500
British Columbia
Registry
Welcome Terry,
don't forget to check out the upcoming events to the right, so you can attend a rally near you, and have an opportunity to look at some of the different rigs.
Old 04-27-2016, 11:05 AM   #7

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
Welcome Terry. Lots for sale right now but you have to be quick for the good ones.
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 12:14 AM   #8

Name: Peter
Trailer: Trillium Jubilee 15'-0
British Columbia
Welcome Terry ...... there is a BC Fibreglass eggs meet at Brae Island Campsite in Fort Langley on the weekend of 26 -29th of May.

There will be great cross section of FGRVs there and everyone just loves to let you into their trailers to look around. You couldn't wish for a better opportunity to see many and varied layouts and ideas and what might work best for you. So if it is at all doable for you then stop by, the Saturday is usually an open house.
peatle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 08:54 AM   #9

British Columbia
Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the warm welcome.

As for what I am looking for, to be honest, I am not 100% sure; part of the reason I am here and seeking advice of others. I do know that I (and my wife) want to get out of tenting and we're not keen on tent trailers.

Some more information:
I have 2 little boys, ages 4(almost 5) and 2. I really like the idea of bunks for them, but that seems to be a bit rare and I'm not sure it usually works for the size I am looking for.

I've never towed anything big before, so this will be my first time. I would say I am also a fairly beginner tower as well, only towing something maybe half a dozen times and very small things. Part of the reason why I am looking for something a bit smaller as well.

I've also got a limited budget for purchasing and it isn't in the 5 figure range. Another reason for a smaller trailer.

In an ideal world, I find my dream trailer with bunks, a bed for my wife and I (that is not a dinette or anything that needs to be set up) and some of the amenities: stove, furnace, fridge, freezer, bathroom (can be small), dinette and sink. Really something we can still go camping in, regardless of the weather, and still feel comfortable. I'd also be looking for a solar panel or adding one as soon as I get a trailer.

Thanks again for all your input, I do appreciate it.
Old 04-30-2016, 09:33 AM   #10

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
I think a standard 13' scamp or casitas would work as long as you dont need a bathroom
Alot depends on your tow vehicle
Good luck
Try searchtempest
Just beware of scams
And take the buyers checklist from this site
One if most expensive is axle & frig
Have seller run frig before you get to view it as they take awhile to cool
The search is half the fun
Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 09:45 AM   #11

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
Hi Terry
It sounds like with the layout you are describing and budget there are no fiberglass trailers that would meet your criteria. Tent trailers are really popular with young families and that way at least you could get two big beds and a dinette plus a bathroom (sort of) all up at the same time. There are also lots of used ones therefore the price is good.
The majority of fiberglass trailers do not have permanent sleeping areas for 4 plus a bathroom and full time dinette, they are just not big enough.
Good luck in your search.
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 09:54 AM   #12

Arizona
Registry
The trailer that most closely fits your description is a Scamp 16 Layout 4.

Casita also makes a 16' trailer with bath and bunks, and there is one for sale right now:
Casita 16 with Side Bunks

But you begin to see the problem... They won't be easy to find in your area, and good condition units will likely exceed your $10K budget.

On the other hand, if, as Alan suggests, you can let go of the bathroom in favor of a porta-potty, lots of 13' trailers with front bunks will serve: Boler, Trillium, Scamp, and a number of similar vintage models. And if you can find one, a 15' Trillium with front bunks has more space and a bigger bed for not much more weight.

The main bed on all smaller trailers will be a converted dinette. We leave ours made up as a bed most of the time, cooking and eating outside under a canopy. Once in a while, on a bad weather day, we convert all the beds back into seating. It takes about 10 minutes, so not a big deal.

One other option worth considering in your area is a older Bigfoot 17. They're bigger, but still well within the towing capacity of your vehicle. They have beds for 4 (or 5 with the overhead bunk option), bathroom, and full galley. Decent units can be had within your budget, but because they will be older, a careful inspection is essential.

This one's a bit over your budget, but I have seen many others in good condition and a few years older, for well under $10K.
1992 Bigfoot 17 Gaucho
Old 04-30-2016, 10:16 AM   #13

British Columbia
I should mention that what I say for my dream trailer would just be that, a dream. We are definitely willing to forgo some of the mentioned items like the second permanent bed. I really want to get out exploring with the kids this year.
Old 04-30-2016, 10:49 AM   #14

Arizona
Registry
Terry, here are links to a couple of very useful resources on this site:

Trailer Weights in the Real World: a database of what different makes and models weigh when loaded for camping. Post #297 links to a downloadable spreadsheet you can filter by make, model, size, and it even gives you averages.

Buyer's Checklist: a inspection guide for used molded fiberglass trailers. The first link is specific to Bolers. The second is generic for all makes.

Best wishes finding a trailer for your summer adventures!
Old 04-30-2016, 11:58 AM   #15

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsaber View Post
Some more information:
I have 2 little boys, ages 4(almost 5) and 2. I really like the idea of bunks for them, but that seems to be a bit rare and I'm not sure it usually works for the size I am looking for.
Most Bolers which are the most common 13' trailer you will find for sale here in BC have bunks at the front - unless the previous owner has removed them. Although we do have a few Casita's and Scamps here in BC we don't have many so they are far less common to see for sale in BC.

The BC Fiberglass group is holding a meet from May 27 to June 1 at Fort Camping in Fort Langley were you will have an opportunity to see a number of different size and make fibreglass trailers. On the Saturday afternoon people will be touring the trailers and you would be more than welcome to sit in each of them.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote