New member from Maryland - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-06-2016, 12:23 PM   #1

Name: Bill
Trailer: In the market
Maryland
New member from Maryland

Hi all,

New here to group. Looking at possibility of getting a good lightweight trailer, and have really liked the looks of the fiberglass units.

I could probably take just a minimal 13' trailer, but my wife has certain criteria will need to meet, primarily a bathroom/shower on board. Would also want to be able to tow without getting a huge pick-up/SUV. Currently have a FWD Honda Pilot with a 3500 lb. capacity, but even like the idea of the 5th wheel Scamp mated with a Toyota Tacoma or Honda Ridgeline.

Also want the package to be something my grown children and close friends can use with their mates when they want to get away in the woods or mountains.

My wife would prefer a condo at the beach, but we have enough friends that have condos that will let us use them, so would prefer to be able to take on different scenery. I grew up in the Appalachian mountains and really miss them now that I live in Central Maryland near the Bay. (which is beautiful in its own right; I'm just still partial to the mountains)

Look forward to the journey!

Bill
Melikou1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 01:08 PM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Welcome, Bill!

I grew up on the Bay near Aberdeen Proving Ground in Harford County. We did have a boat for a while and did Chesapeake Bay things, but my family also tended toward the mountains and the boat turned into a tent trailer after a few seasons. Much less work!! It took us all over the US and eastern Canada.

I tow a 13' Scamp with a FWD Honda Pilot. It could easily tow a 16' Scamp or Casita, but I don't think I'd want to go much larger than that.

If it's just the two of you, they do make 13' Scamps with full front baths. A 16'er is a step up and allows you to keep the dinette made up as a bed and still have a daytime seating/dining area.

A Parkliner is another nice option, and it's made in NC. It's a newer company just emerging under new ownership. It offers a 60" wide main bed (versus 45" or 54" in Scamp and Casita depending on model). Used units come up for sale occasionally.

Best wishes!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 03:41 PM   #3

Name: Rich & Linda
Trailer: Amerigo
Indiana
16 foot is best
MRClaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 07:27 AM   #4

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Forgot to mention... The old Ridgeline could not be used for fifth wheel towing due to the angled bed rails and under-bed storage. The new one looks like it will have a more conventional shape, but I've heard it will still have the storage compartment. It makes a great tow vehicle for a bumper pull, though, and will likely have a bit more capacity than the Pilot.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 07:45 PM   #5

Name: Jim
Trailer: Scamp
Illinois
If my wife were into camping , I'd opt for a 16 or 17 with bath . Since I go alone , I have a 13 Scamp , basic .
Jimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 12:01 PM   #6

Name: Mitzi
Trailer: LilSnoozy 12/01/16, Tug 2012 Dodge Citadel
Florida
I liked the Parkliner but dear. Husband wanted a little more space for him and the cats. Both Parkliner and the Lilsnoozy we went with have an engineered-to reduce -turbulence bottom, so you don't need stabilizers. Have fun looking.