New member from Pinellas County, FL - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-14-2018, 08:37 AM   #1

Name: Sue
Trailer: Scamp
Florida
Smile New member from Pinellas County, FL

Hi. My name is Sue. Not new to camping but new to my just-acquired 1997 13' Scamp! Wow, it is so easy to tow! First camping trip next weekend. I am sure to learn a lot! Today's project is window coverings. I have been reading posts by others and they have been very helpful. I hope to acquire a lot of information and start sharing soon!
Attached Thumbnails
00A0A_1yerPKl3kPK_600x450.jpg   20180113_140642.jpg  

20180113_141017.jpg  
Sue1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 08:51 AM   #2

Name: Tony
Trailer: Bigfoot
Alberta
Registry
Welcome Sue! Enjoy your Scamp!
RV Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 09:07 AM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Very nice, Sue! We love our 13'er.

Didn't know Scamp made a model with a port-side door for the UK/AUS/JAP market, though... The last picture is flipped, I presume...

Happy camping!
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 10:23 AM   #4

Name: Charles
Trailer: Scamp 16
Ohio
Do you go to DeSoto Sue?
cmartin748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 10:54 AM   #5

Name: MURRAY
Trailer: Ventura
British Columbia (BC)
New

Welcome Sue
Go and Enjoy
MurrayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 11:02 AM   #6

Name: Tom
Michigan
Welcome Sue! If you have time, you might want to head over to Highland Hammock State Park near Sebring for Scamp Camp from 12 to 16 Feb. Lots of like minded individuals, and plenty of ideas can be found there. We will be headed up your way after that. Our Daughter lives in St Pete. Enjoy your Scamp!

Tom
TomK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 11:03 AM   #7

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Very nice, Sue! We love our 13'er.

Didn't know Scamp made a model with a port-side door for the UK/AUS/JAP market, though... The last picture is flipped, I presume...

Happy camping!

It's flipped. Lazy me!
Old 01-14-2018, 11:04 AM   #8

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomK View Post
Welcome Sue! If you have time, you might want to head over to Highland Hammock State Park near Sebring for Scamp Camp from 12 to 16 Feb. Lots of like minded individuals, and plenty of ideas can be found there. We will be headed up your way after that. Our Daughter lives in St Pete. Enjoy your Scamp!

Tom
Sounds like fun! Are dogs welcome? Is there a website?
Old 01-14-2018, 11:06 AM   #9

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmartin748 View Post
Do you go to DeSoto Sue?
I have been only for bike rides. I hear it's a lovely campground. I also think my National Park pass may reduce the price some. Have you heard this?
Old 01-14-2018, 11:11 AM   #10

Name: Charles
Ohio
no, I haven't heard about the discount. It is about the nicest place I have ever camped
cmartin748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 11:36 AM   #11

Michigan
Highland Hammock is a FL State Park. In MI we can purchase a State Park (Recreation Area) annual pass and it entitles us to visit any MI State Parks. I'm guessing FL might do the same? Your National America the Beautiful Pass is not honored in most State Parks. I'm sure you can purchase a daily pass for HH and stay all day. They're not that expensive.

Dogs are definitely welcome as long as they are on a leash. There are a couple trails they are not allowed, but most places are fine. As you know FL is about the most dog-friendly state in the Union. H.H. is a nice park. I believe it is the oldest in the FL S.P. system.

If you come during Scamp Camp, come visit us at site 138. My wife just finished making new curtains for ours.

https://www.floridastateparks.org/pa...hlands-Hammock

Tom
Old 01-14-2018, 12:54 PM   #12

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Fort Desoto is not a State Park, it is a Pinellas County Park. I believe county residents may get a discount but I’m not sure; they do get first crack at reserving campsites.
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 02:20 PM   #13

Michigan
Sorry for the confusion. I guess I read your post too quickly, Sue. I thought you were asking about using your America the Beautiful pass at H.H.S.P. Carl is correct. Fort Desoto is a Pinellas County Park. It is really nice. The best spots that face the Gulf are reserved for no pets. Pet sites are facing inland, not the Gulf. I doubt they honor your National Pass there, but not sure. As a resident of Pinellas County; you do get first crack at reservations. It is a very nice park!

Tom
Old 01-14-2018, 05:30 PM   #14

Name: Grace
Trailer: Casita 16F SD
Florida
Hi Sue!

Sue were you at the Eggs and SMores rally this weekend at the Suwanee? If not you should join that Facebook group too. We had about 80 eggs (Casitas, Scamps, Escapes, Bigfoots, and a couple of Trilliums. Had a blast! I live in Oldsmar and if you need anything and you are in north county let me know.
CountrysideGrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 06:55 PM   #15

Name: Dorrie
Trailer: Whitewater
OH
We've camped there for the past 2 years, and are headed back in March. Florida residents get preference for booking campsites - the rest of us can only book 6 months in advance. We love it there.
dorriec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 06:03 AM   #16

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorriec View Post
We've camped there for the past 2 years, and are headed back in March. Florida residents get preference for booking campsites - the rest of us can only book 6 months in advance. We love it there.
Not sure where “we’ve camped there” is, but Florida residents DO NOT get preference for booking at State Parks. It is 11 months in advance for everyone. Florida residents over 65 only pay half price to camp in State Parks. And Fort DeSoto does not give preference to Florida Residents, only to Pinellas County residents. It is a county park. Fortunately, my daughter lives in Pinellas County. Unfortunately, I have no desire to camp that close to home (I live in a neighboring county). I doubt any of the private campgrounds differentiate between residents and non-residents as their biggest concern is $.
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 06:53 AM   #17

Name: Maryellen
Trailer: 2015 Casita SD
Pennsylvania
Hi Sue. Welcome to the forum. We winter in Apollo Beach with my sister and her husband. They have a Scamp 13. We have a Casita 17. My brother has an Oliver. (19ft). When we camp together we look like a fiberglass version of Goldilocks and the Three Bears! Hope to see you "on the road" sometime!
Maryellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 07:35 AM   #18

Name: Dorrie
Trailer: Whitewater
OH
I stand corrected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPW View Post
Not sure where “we’ve camped there” is, but Florida residents DO NOT get preference for booking at State Parks. It is 11 months in advance for everyone. Florida residents over 65 only pay half price to camp in State Parks. And Fort DeSoto does not give preference to Florida Residents, only to Pinellas County residents. It is a county park. Fortunately, my daughter lives in Pinellas County. Unfortunately, I have no desire to camp that close to home (I live in a neighboring county). I doubt any of the private campgrounds differentiate between residents and non-residents as their biggest concern is $.
You are right. I was referring to Ft. DeSoto. It IS a Pinellas County park. County residents, not FL residents, have first choice for reserving sites. Apologies for the misinformation.

It is a wonderful place to camp.
dorriec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 06:59 AM   #19

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomK View Post
Highland Hammock is a FL State Park. In MI we can purchase a State Park (Recreation Area) annual pass and it entitles us to visit any MI State Parks. I'm guessing FL might do the same? Your National America the Beautiful Pass is not honored in most State Parks. I'm sure you can purchase a daily pass for HH and stay all day. They're not that expensive.

Dogs are definitely welcome as long as they are on a leash. There are a couple trails they are not allowed, but most places are fine. As you know FL is about the most dog-friendly state in the Union. H.H. is a nice park. I believe it is the oldest in the FL S.P. system.

If you come during Scamp Camp, come visit us at site 138. My wife just finished making new curtains for ours.

https://www.floridastateparks.org/pa...hlands-Hammock

Tom
Thank you.
Old 01-16-2018, 07:00 AM   #20

Florida
Thanks!