New member in Maryland - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-26-2010, 06:09 AM   #1

Name: Tom
Trailer: Eggcamper 2010
Maryland
New member in Maryland

Hi. I'm a new member, living on the eastern shore of Maryland. Thinking about getting an Eggcamper. Any owners willing to let me take a look at their rig ? Artspe ?
todonnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 11:00 AM   #2

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Look here
scamp rvs : craigslist eBay kijiji mash : US & Canada
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 11:54 AM   #3

Name: Jesse
Trailer: 1984 Scamp 13'
Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by todonnell View Post
Hi. I'm a new member, living on the eastern shore of Maryland. Thinking about getting an Eggcamper. Any owners willing to let me take a look at their rig ? Artspe ?
Shoot... you just missed us! We were camping on the shore at Tuckahoe Stake Park about three weeks ago. I live abot 10 miles from St Michaels... but unfortunately we are 10 miles WEST... other side of the bay!
mcbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 12:22 PM   #4

Trailer: 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
We're in the Reading,Pa area about 65 miles north of Philadelphia probably about 2-1/2 hours from you and if you get up in the area you are more than welcome to stop in.
We have a 16'Casita SD with toilet and shower
Joe
Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 02:55 PM   #5

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I just purchased an egg camper last month, a 2007 model. I'm in York, Pa if interested, call me 717-845-5480
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 04:58 PM   #6

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Two weekends ago I stayed at Pocomoke State Park. You could have checked out my Scamp 19. Only 54 miles from my house by air. 5 hours and 200 miles by road through Norfolk and back up the bay on my side.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 05:34 PM   #7

Trailer: 2007 Eggcamper
Tom,

Sent you an E-Mail.

Art
artspe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 09:41 PM   #8

Maryland
Eddie, I haven't stayed at the park, but the Pokomoke river is beautiful! My father and I went about 20 miles down the river and back up... and passed only two other boats along the way. We might stay at the park this winter... I believe one of the campgrounds stays open year-round.
Old 10-27-2010, 08:17 PM   #9

Maryland
I believe Floyd tows with a Ford Escape. A fine tow vehicle for a FGRV, even if it is not the supreme TV that a Scion xD is... (just kiddin' with ya, Floyd)

I have no problem with people using a truck or SUV to tow a Scamp. I have a problem with people who claim that you NEED a truck or SUV to tow a Scamp. Small FGRVs were designed to be towed with small cars from the 1970s. Today's small cars are MUCH more capable as tow vehicles as those from 40 years ago. Cars are safer and more powerful these days. They also have better brakes and more accident preventing electronics. I have towed with cars from the 1970s, 1980s, 1990s, and 2000s. Every decade brings improvements. Towing with my xD is a breeze. I have towed my cargo trailer for about 5,000 miles. I have only towed the Scamp for about 600 miles. Considering that my car only has 45,000 miles on it, that is a lot of towing. I have had a trailer in tow for more than one mile out of every ten. It has performed admirably. I would not tow a 3,000 pound trailer with it... that's what we have a diesel van for.

My boat weighs about 6,000 pounds on the trailer, and our 160 horsepower Chevy van tows it well, as does out 156 horsepower Mercedes van. The interesting thing to note is that the Chevy produces 160 horsepower out of 6.5 liters and the Mercedes produces 156 horsepower out of just 2.7 liters. Gotta love that modern technology! Oddly enough, the Mercedes is rated for just 6,000 pounds (in the US), but tows better than the Chevy. In Europe, I believe the Mercedes van is rated for 9,000 or 10,000 pounds. It's been a while since I researched it, so I could be a bit off. We tow the boat with the Chevy most of the time because it also carries 8 passengers... the Benz only has two seats.

My Scion xD is NOT a good TV for heavy trailers. I cannot tow a 2,500 pound pop-up camper with it. I cannot tow a 5,000 pound travel trailer with it. I cannot tow my 6,000 pound boat with it. We have a truck for that (okay, two trucks). However, the xD is GREAT for towing a lightweight camper like the Scamp. It is great for towing my 400 pound cargo trailer with a few hundred pounds of cargo. It gets great fuel economy, is more comfortable than the vans, and is rated to tow such loads. Yes, I could use one of the vans for towing a mattress on my cargo trailer, but why would I? When I tow the cargo trailer, I always get better than 30 MPG. I often get mid-30s. Then engine does not run hot. The oil analysis does not show excessive wear, even over extended intervals. It does the job well. Even an emergency stop when a deer jumped out in front of me was not even butt-puckering. The car and trailer stopped quickly and predictably.

Cars are good at towing small trailers, and trucks are good at towing big trailers.
Old 12-08-2010, 12:15 PM   #10

Name: Gail & Tom O
Trailer: Eggcamper 2010
Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by todonnell
Hi, I am todonnell's wife, Gail. Since Tom posted this we have been to MI and purchased a 2010 EggCamper. We love it already and look forward to meeting some of you in the future. We towed it home with a Toyota highlander hybrid. The trip went great.
Old 12-08-2010, 01:31 PM   #11

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Congrats Gail, I got my 2007 Egg Camper 2 months ago. We are having a Egg Camper meet in July 15-17 in the Poconos- look at the post under mid atlantic rallies. post some pictures also
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 02:41 PM   #12

Trailer: Eggcamper 17 ft Electric
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by gailo View Post
Hi, I am todonnell's wife, Gail. Since Tom posted this we have been to MI and purchased a 2010 EggCamper. We love it already and look forward to meeting some of you in the future. We towed it home with a Toyota highlander hybrid. The trip went great.
Congratulations! We're coming up on our fourth season with our EggCamper and we love it.

We are also going to be at the Pocono Rally in July. I think there are going to be several EggCampers there. EggCampers have a lot of flexible storage possibilities and I'm sure that you'll find some interesting ideas for when you decide on customizing.

Ron and Jane
Ron F is offline   Reply With Quote