New member in Victoria, BC - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-14-2018, 04:13 PM   #1

Name: Shane
Trailer: Trillium 1300
British Columbia
New member in Victoria, BC

Hi everyone.

My wife picked up her dream trailer recently in Victoria, BC. It's a 1975 Trillium 1300 with front bunk.

It has some issues but I think (or hope) they're minor.

The things we have to deal with (not necessarily in order of importance):

- need a better tow vehicle. My 4-cylinder Chevy Tracker doesn't quite cut it.
- new foam and uphostery. One cushion cover is missing completely and another cushion with foam is missing.
- There's water pooling on the left hand side of the bunk. I'm going to reseal the windows. If that stops the leak I'll reseal the belly band at a later date.
- replace roof vent. It doesn't leak but it looks to be original. It has the springy vent with the pull chain. I'd like something a bit more modern.
- put plywood underneath the bunk cushions so my fat carcass doesn't break through the fibreglass hatch covers (again)
- new window screens. Some are torn
- repair some spider web cracks in the fibreglass in a couple of areas.
- replace taillights. One is broken.
- test furnace and stove. Maybe replace the stove because it's rusty.
- the awning is missing so I'll probably get a new bag style one.

Like a friend said, it's important that I get out and use it too. I can spend lots of time and money fixing things that I think are important but could really wait until early fall before the rains start.

I'll be reading the technical threads which should teach me how to reseal the windows. I don't have plans to camp this weekend so I might tackle that job. It doesn't seem like a big one. I just need to make sure I take my time. :-)

I'm a member of the Trillium Trailers Owners Facebook page so hopefully between that page and this forum I should pick up lots of good info.

If anyone has an idea where I can get an affordable but decent bag awning from a Canadian supplier I'd greatly appreciate it.

If any of the photos appear sideways, I apologize. My Windows 10 preview shows them correctly oriented.

Thanks!

Shane the Newfie
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20180606_070113.jpg   IMG_20180606_070224.jpg  

IMG_20180606_204811.jpg   IMG_20180606_070313.jpg  

Newfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 06:33 PM   #2

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Shane, First off, Welcome to our site. There are lots of friendly and knowledgeable people here.

You have very nice Trillium!

I hope your furnace works, it is nice to have heat. but be aware that this style of furnace is no longer available because of high surface temperatures. Try to keep all bedding away from it when it is operating

You have the fall prevention bar holders, do you have the spring loaded bar?

I notice that the upper bunk cushion is not attached to the window frame. This thread may help with that:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ans-71903.html

Originally, your table had a silver ware drawer. This was just a silver ware drawer organizer, with a thin piece of wood screwed to it that acted as a drawer front. Fairly easy to replace.

There are five, (I used to say four) items that will need attention on an old Trillium:
1) Windows need to be resealed, (you are on this)
2) The door needs to be reinstalled, (yours actually looks good)
3) The six bolts that hold the fibreglass to the frame need to be replaced
4) The belly band needs to be resealed
5) The axle needs to be replaced, (you should get one with brakes)

I have added comments, in red, to your post below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfie View Post
Hi everyone.

My wife picked up her dream trailer recently in Victoria, BC. It's a 1975 Trillium 1300 with front bunk.

- new foam and uphostery. One cushion cover is missing completely and another cushion with foam is missing.
There is a thread that has a drawing of the cushions:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f55/trillium-1300-cushion-template-68415.html
- There's water pooling on the left hand side of the bunk. I'm going to reseal the windows. If that stops the leak I'll reseal the belly band at a later date.
Resealing the windows will probably fix this
- replace roof vent. It doesn't leak but it looks to be original. It has the springy vent with the pull chain. I'd like something a bit more modern.
You may want to look at something like a Maxxair vent, but the hole for your 9" vent would have to be increased to a 14" hole.
These are mostly cosmetic, and will not cause any problems.
Paul Neumeister sells the original Bargman light assembly's, and lenses:
http://www.fibreglass-rv.ca/catalog.html

Like a friend said, it's important that I get out and use it too. I can spend lots of time and money fixing things that I think are important but could really wait until early fall before the rains start.

I'll be reading the technical threads which should teach me how to reseal the windows. I don't have plans to camp this weekend so I might tackle that job. It doesn't seem like a big one. I just need to make sure I take my time. :-)

I'm a member of the Trillium Trailers Owners Facebook page so hopefully between that page and this forum I should pick up lots of good info.

If anyone has an idea where I can get an affordable but decent bag awning from a Canadian supplier I'd greatly appreciate it.

If any of the photos appear sideways, I apologize. My Windows 10 preview shows them correctly oriented.

Thanks!

Shane the Newfie
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 09:28 AM   #3

Name: MURRAY
Trailer: Ventura
British Columbia (BC)
Welcome to the site.
This looks like a nice unit. Good buy.
Check the plywood on the floor for moisture.
Good luck with it all.
From Qualicum Beach
Go and Enjoy
MurrayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 09:34 AM   #4

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Poloe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfie View Post
Hi everyone.

- put plywood underneath the bunk cushions so my fat carcass doesn't break through the fibreglass hatch covers (again)

Thanks!

Shane the Newfie
Op

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 10:03 AM   #5

Name: Claire
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 4500
British Columbia
Registry
Welcome, looks like you have some fun to keep you busy this summer. Come out to Sooke in Sept and show us what you have done. We are also in Vict with a 4500, but have done a fair bit of work if you want to look. Just pm me.
Old 06-15-2018, 10:59 AM   #6

Name: Shane
Trailer: Trillium 1300
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Claire View Post
Welcome, looks like you have some fun to keep you busy this summer. Come out to Sooke in Sept and show us what you have done. We are also in Vict with a 4500, but have done a fair bit of work if you want to look. Just pm me.
Thanks Claire. We actually came up to the Island Bolers and Friends campout in Nanaimo this past weekend (sans trailer).

We wanted to see what kind of repairs and enhancements other people have done with their trailers. We wanted inspiration. :-)

And we intend to come to Sooke in September. I just need to call the campground to book a spot.
Newfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 11:30 AM   #7

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
Welcome, looks like you have a good trailer. Sounds like you did pretty well with the wife, too.
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 02:17 PM   #8

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Oh, Victoria! Welcome, Shane and Wife!

And, awwww, it's a marshmallow egg! Love them. Wanted one since I was a child and first saw one being towed down the highway. (No freeways back then when pterodactyls darkened the skies!)

Best with all your projects...we often find we're as happy doing the projects as we are using the trailer...

And when you're finished, happy trails!

BEST
Kai