New Member looking for info - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-02-2014, 12:17 PM   #1

Name: carmen
Trailer: bolar
Alberta
New Member looking for info

Hi! My husband and I just purchased a boler that we are starting to restore. We have just emptied out the inside and have decided on how we will redo the interior. We'll post pictures as we go along. We are thinking about exterior storage on the back and are wondering if anyone has done this and what they used. Pictures would be great.
cardar2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 12:34 PM   #2

Name: Joan
Trailer: Scamp
Colorado
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1391365838.335302.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	211.9 KB
ID:	67989
We added an aluminum rack to save on weight and a heavy duty plastic trunk. My husband bolted it to the rack. We store blocks, outdoor door mats and other things that are used for setting up and leveling. It saves room in the car.

Hope that helps.
JoniS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 01:35 PM   #3

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
While some have added storage to the rear of their FGRV's there are several minuses to keep in mind:

1. The back of the trailer frame usually isn't designed for any additional weight.
2. Adding weight to the back will reduce tongue weight, not always a good thing
3. It's much easier to back into things and be hit in the back, with the trailer extended.
4. It can be tempting to others to "Borrow" your stuff.

Again, some FGRV owners do this, I, for one of many, wouldn't.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 01:36 PM   #4

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
Welcome to the Forum Carmen.
Glad you have joined us. Several
similar owners will be along with a
lot of ideas.
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 02:50 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
It all depends. I have a cargo rack ( lightest I could find, but still substantial ) that fits into the 2" receiver that is factory installed for bike racks. I used a locking pin to secure it. On top of the cargo rack is an aluminum checker plate box with two padlocks. I used to have it bolted to the rack ( from inside the box ), until I realized that I couldn't undo the nuts holding the spare tire with the box in place. I now use a ratchet strap to hold the box on and a cable to secure it.
Inside, I carry four litres of gas ( for generator or emergency ), my water hoses, heavy duty extension cord, vinyl gloves, a couple small axes, wand for flushing tanks. I try to keep it light.
I've weighed the tongue and I'm maintaining about 325 pounds.
So, it depends.

Another negative, however, is that it adds two feet, which can cost when it comes to ferry fares.
Attached Thumbnails
Storage box.jpg  
Glenn Baglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 06:26 PM   #6

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Plastic Box

We have had a plastic box (3'x18"x15") attached to the top of our bumper, captured by the spare and supported on three L brackets.

We have had it for 6 years, do not lock it and have never had a theft.

We carry our wooden blocks, water hose, power cord and a few basic tools.

Two plastic fence posts (5"x 5" x 4') are attached to the bottom of the plastic box/L Brackets. We use one for a long sewer hose, the other for our clothes line and awning poles.

I have not weighed it but its not heavy and as close to the body as it can get, the back of the box is behind the spare.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 07:16 PM   #7

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
I installed a 2" receiver to the rear of our unit. Of course, it was installed buy welding heavy tubing to the frame so it could hold the weight. That being said; every camper I've ever owned I have installed a 2" receiver on the rear. I do use a locking pin and if hauling anything such as generators I always use a locking cable. I once made the mistake of saying "I've been camping for X amount of years and I've never had anything stolen" That same camping trip a Class A motor home parked beside me that evening and left the next morning while I was gone fishing. They left with my cooler packed with drinks, beer and wine. They couple across from us had been sitting outside and told me noone else had even been around the camper except the couple that left in the Class A motorhome. Now I lock everything with cable locks.
Old 02-03-2014, 09:33 AM   #8

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
If adding storage to the rear bumper I would go with either Norms approach of keep it light and close or Teds of having a 2 inch hitch receiver installed with appropriate reinforcement to the frame.

Back bumper is not generally designed to take weight pounding on it, and when you extend that weight out from the bumper it applies leverage to the force of every bump, that puts stress on rear bumper and rear frame welds thus the need to reinforce that area. Bike rack, platform supporting generator or box all would make me think I need some extra support.

Weight further from the axle has more tendency to cause sway, as does being light weight in the front. People as you can see do put weight on the rear successfully but it does require some planning and testing to come up with a well balanced load that tows well and travels well with the specific trailer and load.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 10:16 AM   #9

Name: Craig
Trailer: Currently researching
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
Back bumper is not generally designed to take weight pounding on it, and when you extend that weight out from the bumper it applies leverage to the force of every bump, that puts stress on rear bumper and rear frame welds thus the need to reinforce that area. Bike rack, platform supporting generator or box all would make me think I need some extra support.

Weight further from the axle has more tendency to cause sway, as does being light weight in the front. People as you can see do put weight on the rear successfully but it does require some planning and testing to come up with a well balanced load that tows well and travels well with the specific trailer and load.
Don't people usually but a box for generator, blocks, etc. on the front of the trailer with the propane tanks? Wouldn't that get around the above problems with just some added hitch weight?
cramar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 06:57 PM   #10

Florida
Rear bumper weight. Weight belongs over the axle. Heavy weights like generators can be a problem. On our very first trip towing a trailer it swayed with a generator on the rear bumper. Moving it over the axle and no sway.
Lesson learned.

Our bumper box empty and loaded is light. If desired it is also lockable plus it o ly cost $18 at Walmarts.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 02-03-2014, 07:14 PM   #11

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by cramar View Post
Don't people usually but a box for generator, blocks, etc. on the front of the trailer with the propane tanks? Wouldn't that get around the above problems with just some added hitch weight?
Yes people do modify the front for storage or generators. Some pretty nice solutions too. If I was not internet challenged (service issues) I would do some searching. People do use the rear also, but it takes a little more thought and planning. Heavy load both front & rear both being far from axle is not ideal.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 01:25 AM   #12

Trailer: 1977 TM14 Surfside / 2007 Toyota Tundra V8 2wd
Registry
Norm, what make of box do you have? I've looked and not found a plastic box that lockers.
Old 02-13-2014, 07:10 PM   #13

Florida
Rear Storage Box Source

We purchased our box at Walmarts, I believe it was $18. It's about 3 feet long x 18 inches deep x 16 inches high.

The box has a place for a lock. However this would not stop any determined person. We've had the box for 6-7 years and never had it touched by any one in over 1000 nights on the road.

Actually if you were nearby I could give you one. A Scamp camper we met in Seminole Canyon Texas gave us one.

To use the box the way we do requires removing the pin that forms the hitch and adding two little latches.

It comes in black. Our's is spray painted white.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 02-14-2014, 11:32 AM   #14

Florida
More Rear Storage

Since this couple were real travelers in a Scamp 13 and their trailer was different than most I thought I'd post these pictures.

I saw the pictured Scamp 13 at the local Walmarts today. It weighed 2100 lbs. It had 2 propane tanks, 2 batteries and a generator on the tongue. The generator sat on a steel frame welded to the A below.

The rear of the trailer had the tallest bumper box I've seen, again a steel frame attached to the bumper.

Most windows had individual Awnings. Their map showed travel to every state, province and territory.
Attached Thumbnails
1392398915893.jpg   1392398932269.jpg  

1392398954910.jpg   1392398981088.jpg  

1392398998618.jpg  

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 02-14-2014, 12:10 PM   #15

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
Kewl pics.
thanks Norm.
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 12:51 PM   #16

Florida
Carl,

I love to meet people who travel a lot and to see their approach.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 02-15-2014, 05:30 PM   #17

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
The setup below is pretty versatile- the box holds lots of miscellaneii, and the rack can/has served in a variety of ways depending on who's along and where we're going.

The box began life as a crossbed pickup toolbox- I changed the hardware, set it on its side atop the bumper, and bolted it both to the bumper and the body of the trailer. This last because I wanted it to be as solid as possible, both for stability and to prevent it from carving a long gouge in the fiberglass due to vibration. (There's a long gasket between the box and the body).

Loading is definitely a balancing act...if there's a bike back there, compensatory rearranging occurs up front.

Another innovation you can sort of see in the picture is the access hatches (look like vents) at each end. I put those in all four corners, and since my trailer has the front bench, the upfront hatches open on a trailer-wide area perfect for long things like oars, fishing poles etc.

Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 09:15 AM   #18

Name: Shawn
Trailer: Boler
Florida
Carmen, Can you tell us more about your Boler? I have a 17 ft Boler and have room to spare for storage. When we first bought it I was looking for ways to add storage but we haven't used all the storage on the inside yet. How much more room do you need? Someone on here made his own steps (box) that has tools ect inside which I want to do this summer. That is a great idea.
Also what are you towing with? I took off the propane tank to mount something else on the tongue and I was going to move the tank forward but now thinking about getting rid of propane. In the mean time I throw the tank in the back of the truck until I know for sure I want to get of the propane all together.
Also, I seen where someone made a cargo type self on the tongue that can be removed when not needed or while at the site and use it for a outdoor kitchen which I thought was a great idea.
ShawnKK is offline   Reply With Quote