new member needs advice - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-13-2006, 06:33 PM   #15
Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
As Roger mentioned, and as in Drew's example, the current selling price can be similar to the original new price; in my case, I met some people at a campsite who considered buying a 17' Boler like mine new in 1980, for about the price that they are routinely offered now. Mine needed some TLC, so I got it for significantly less (about half).

One problem with this comparison is that a dollar was worth a lot more decades ago than it is now, due to inflation. Buying a trailer for a few thousand dollars and selling it in five years for the same number of dollars isn't free: your money will be worth less at the end of that time (the inflation loss), and you've borrowed that money (and paid interest) or used some savings (and thus passed up investment income) so you will have paid for the time-value of the money. Is losing that value and tying up the cost of the trailer, in addition to maintenance cost, worthwhile? Likely yes, if you use it enough.

Since the fiberglass shells of our trailers generally survive well, the trailers hold their value better than conventional "stick built" designs; they're sort of like the aluminum shell trailers (Airstream, etc) in that respect, for the same reason.

1979 Boler B1700RGH, pulled by 2004 Toyota Sienna LE 2WD
Information is good. Lack of information is not so good, but misinformation is much worse. Check facts, and apply common sense liberally.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 11:00 PM   #16
Name: Ken
Trailer: No Trailer Yet
There is also the classic cruiser 13' made with Alu frame you may like to google to look at. The guys who left funfinder to make a better trailer are behind it. Good luck.

Ken C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 04:08 PM   #17
Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Yea, thanks for all of that. I'm close! No financing...understand the time value of money (commercial realtor) but also understand the real value of personal and family time. Fix-er-upper...not me. I repair my cars and can wire a house but otherwise I appreciate my limitations. So close...can't wait. one costominization feature will be the paint job indicating me as "FishScamp"
john hassell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 12:03 AM   #18
Name: Peter
Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
After making a quick-switch change on a camping trip to Crater Lake last summer -- nights were below freezing, so tent-camping was out and we found a cabin to stay in -- Lynne and I decided to look into RVs. We considered motorhomes, but didn't like the gas mileage issues or having to tow a second motor vehicle for getting out and about at our destinations.

That's where I told Lynne about the little fiberglass trailer that was camped next to my son and I at an airshow we went to last summer. Cute little thing -- I think it was an older Scamp 13'. After poking around online and visiting The Egg People at a gathering last fall we decided to get a Scamp 5th Wheel and a small pickup truck to pull it.

I highly reccomend going to one of the gatherings and asking for a look inside several different types of eggs. I went to that gathering thinking a Casita 16' or 17' would be ou kind of trailer, but came away drawn to the 13' and 19' Scamps but not the Casita.

This doesn't mean there's anything wrong with the Casita line, by the way. The people who own Casitas are ever bit as happy with their trailers as the Scamp people are. But there is something to be said about actually standing in the trailer layout you are planning to buy.

peterh is offline   Reply With Quote