New Member, New to me Burro - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-19-2009, 10:02 PM   #1

Trailer: 13 ft Burro
Hello All,

I am new to the forum and have just purchased a 1988 13' Burro, the frame, axle looks in good shape ( drove it 900 miles to be sure), new tires (now with 900 miles on them), the outer shell has a few spider web hairline cracks (opinions on how to repair?) the inside walls look pretty good, few former holes and scratches, stove is intact but needs a cleaning, sink looks ok, icebox is ok, cushions are in good shape, though I wont be using them I want to use memory foam and new upholstery. The carpet on the floor, walls, and ceiling, I ripped out first thing as I hate carpet. I will replace it with automobile vinyl upholstery

The bad news is there is some floor rot, from the door to the curb side rear, I cut the fiberglass floor out today, and removed all the rotten plywood the remainder is wet but not rotted yet, so I am drying it out and will see how it looks before removing more.

I was planning to replace the plywood and then re-fiberglass over it, layering it until I get it as high as the flanges on the closets, cabinets and storage boxes tying them all together using the fiberglass. After sanding the floor I would like to just paint the fiberglass floor, perhaps with the epoxy type paint used on garage floors I did my garage once it turned out great and held up great. I would like thoughts on this approach?

The plan is to paint it candy apple red to match my 66 Mustang convertible, change the taillights, running lights, add interior 12v LED lighting, add a 12 v battery and inverter.

oh and the name:

El Burro Rojas
(the red ass)

Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2121.JPG   DSC01983_1_.JPG  

burro_rotten_plywood.JPG   Burro_floor_removed.JPG  

Scott B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 10:18 AM   #2

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Scott, Congrats and Welcome to the wonderful world of molded fiberglass! Love your idea about the floor. Can't help you with if it will work or how to do it. But great cleanable idea! I am with you on the carpet thing! HATE IT! even in our home I have tried to use alternative flooring. Can't wait to see the pic's of your projects. Keep them coming. Just want to add that don't work on it so much that you don't at least get to enjoy it a little this summer.
When you said you wanted to paint it red this egg remodel came to mind and wanted to pass along the pic for inspiration. Plus a few sweeeeeet combo's that people travel in. Robin
Attached Thumbnails
33.jpg   trailer3.jpg  

img_0463__Small_.jpg  
Attached Images

Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 10:22 AM   #3

Please post pic's of your combo when you have it done or even before! A lot of us love old cars! Here's a few more combo's.
Attached Thumbnails
47stude.jpg   PTCruiserandBoler.jpg  

og.jpg  
Attached Images

Old 07-20-2009, 12:12 PM   #4

Thanks Robin,

I am presently not working as I have my own consulting company and try hard to avoid working during the great mid west summers, so I am able to "work" on the El Burro quite a bit. I dont know if it will make it's debut this summer but as we have a great 100 year old one-room school house in NE Iowa that we use as our cabin we have an acree in a wooded area and enjoy sittin around the fire pit at night as it is our TV.

Here's a pic of the school house and a pic of the (hopefully) Tug the little guy beside it is mine too and it is fiberglass as well, hey maybe I will have to make a small egg trailer to go with it LOL!!!

Thanks for the message and pics and thank all members for the great forum, information and inspiration.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC01079.JPG   pic1436.jpg  

Old 07-20-2009, 03:37 PM   #5

Trailer: U-Haul 16 ft Vacationer
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
Where in NE Iowa is your cute schoolhouse? We always wanted to fix up one that was on the road from Decorah to Waukon, but it was just a dream. The local framer put hay in it and now it's totally gone. Too bad!

Kevin

Quote:
Thanks Robin,

I am presently not working as I have my own consulting company and try hard to avoid working during the great mid west summers, so I am able to "work" on the El Burro quite a bit. I dont know if it will make it's debut this summer but as we have a great 100 year old one-room school house in NE Iowa that we use as our cabin we have an acree in a wooded area and enjoy sittin around the fire pit at night as it is our TV.

Here's a pic of the school house and a pic of the (hopefully) Tug the little guy beside it is mine too and it is fiberglass as well, hey maybe I will have to make a small egg trailer to go with it LOL!!!

Thanks for the message and pics and thank all members for the great forum, information and inspiration.
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 04:33 PM   #6

Kevin,

Funny you should mention Decorah, our schoolhouse is 10 miles north of decorah, near the Sattre store, I know what you mean about farmers and hay in the old schoolhouses, many have fell down due to stubborn farmers that wont let them go. We were blessed to find this one and are still working on it. New roof, paint, We used an out house for the first couple years but now have running water and a septic. Not to mention a basement full of mud and water in last springs flood!

Are you from around that area?

regards,

scott
Old 07-20-2009, 05:04 PM   #7

Scott, Great pic's! Thanks! Love the mini car. Hmmmmm to get one to pull behind that may need a fiberglass person to custom make just the right size. Tooooo Cute though! You never know you just might run across one that was custom made for a clown car/parade car. Be fun to find one. Sweet Mustang! Had a neighbor who was able to find his from high school and buy it back and restore it. My Dh tried to talk him in to selling it to me, but he wouldn't let it go for nothing. Can't say as I blame him. Enjoy your egg journey! Robin
Old 07-20-2009, 07:15 PM   #8

Trailer: U-Haul 16 ft Vacationer
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
Yes, I grew up in Decorah and fished lots of the trout streams north of town. I graduated from Decorah High School in 1972 and Luther in 1976. My wife Cindy is also a Luther grad, as is our son Mark (2003). My dad taught at Luther in the education dept. from 1958 to the late 1980s. We get back to visit a few times each year (my folks still live just north of Decorah in the Vennejhem Housing Units) and try to camp and canoe on the Upper Iowa. Have fun with your new project! We loved our little Burro when we had it, but just needed a bit more space, so we got the 16' UHaul.

Kevin Anderson
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 07:33 PM   #9

Kevin,

Well next time you are up this way let me know, I would love to see your UHaul and be happy to show you our schoolhouse, we spend alot of weekends down there in the summer.

Best Regards,

Scott
Old 07-20-2009, 07:41 PM   #10

Trailer: Bigfoot 21ft (25B21RB)
nice pics and welcome to the forum
Phil Underwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 08:52 PM   #11

Quote:
nice pics and welcome to the forum

Thanks Phil!