New member - still looking - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 10-06-2017, 09:01 AM   #15

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by k0wtz View Post
jon I have the bare-boned 13f I didn't look for a deluxe have no need for it I am camping right? I had an A-Liner it pulled just fine with my Ford Edge did I say I hated Ford?

I can tell you I think that Scamp must weight 500 more lb than that A-Liner I can just feel the difference. Saying that even before I am not taking out like a race car driver I read stories of guys driving normal tugs trying to run 55 up a mountain doing this they must be hitting all the gears no telling the rpm load. Don't these people know there is only so much wear and tear you can put on a tug let alone the camper.

Maybe they trade every year I don't do that wont do that! So what is the hurry going camping? For the life of me I do not understand I read I am running 70 to 80 on tires only rated at 65 that on a good day!

I could run a deluxe but what for? I camp the same way and even with a bathroom I wouldn't want to deal with filling with water draining stinky tanks.

Some things I just done understand not to knock anyone if that is what you want go for it!!

Scamper Bob Beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
I have towed my Scamp13D with a 2.3L normally aspirated FORD Escape for ten years, been over Moneagle several times at speed as well as across the Rockies to the west coast and over the Smokies as well.
My trailer tires are rated to 81MPH, but I tow rated my Escape to 60MPH.
The car has been used properly and is still in excellent condition.

My trailer has a bed cause I sleep, a kitchen cause I eat, a shower cause I wash, and a toilet cause I!

I still love the simpler approach (like yours) and the spirit of those who own them.
I too have owned many of them!
OH! Did I say I love Fords?

Old 10-06-2017, 09:09 AM   #16

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Floyd, you are forgetting to mention one significant difference: your Ford Escape was a stick shift. The Forester is a CVT automatic. Once you cede control of the drivetrain, you pretty much have to submit to the towing limitations of the manufacturer, with the transmission typically being the weak link.

You may say your new Transit Connect automatic has a full manual mode (which is a good thing, in my opinion, and I wish mine did), but there is still a computer between you and the machine second guessing your every decision.

Old 10-06-2017, 09:26 AM   #17

IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Floyd, you are forgetting to mention one significant difference: your Ford Escape was a stick shift. The Forester is a CVT automatic. Once you cede control of the drivetrain, you pretty much have to submit to the towing limitations of the manufacturer, with the transmission typically being the weak link.

You may say your new Transit Connect automatic has a full manual mode (which is a good thing, in my opinion, and I wish mine did), but there is still a computer between you and the machine second guessing your every decision.
You are absolutely right!
Also there is no real substitute for power and strength.
For those in doubt, go overkill! Like my Ranger!

While I would prefer a stick, the manual mode is useful, especially in the higher gears.
Ford targeted 200,000 miles for that transmission in commercial service and it works pretty well for an automatic... should know for sure in about a decade!
Old 10-06-2017, 09:49 AM   #18

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
Floyd not to ruffle your feathers I hate Fords stupid me I thought the Edge was the greatest thing on 4 wheels and I bought one but I am not saying anymore about that. Did you drive your rig from Gatlinburg to Cherookee? I want to know!

bob
Old 10-06-2017, 09:57 AM   #19

Name: Tom
Trailer: Shopping
CO
Several here have addressed the laws of physics, including inertia and kinetic energy. Clearly some are more comfortable pushing the limits.

Wikipedia says about 33,000 die annually in car crashes, close to 100 a day. You or loved ones don't have to die for there to be life changing results.

Ever drive down the interstate and see skidmarks that cross 3 or 4 lanes? It makes you wonder what happened. Did someone have to suddenly swerve to avoid an idiot driver? What was the outcome?

If an accident resulted, you can bet on one outcome. Personal Injury Attorneys representing the victims will be checking the rigs of those at fault. Do you think those at fault will catch a break for being just a few hundred pounds over vehicle limits? What outcome would you want if you are the victim?

Stay safe.
Old 10-06-2017, 10:53 AM   #20

IllAnnoy
Registry
Attachment 112259
Quote:
Floyd not to ruffle your feathers I hate Fords stupid me I thought the Edge was the greatest thing on 4 wheels and I bought one but I am not saying anymore about that. Did you drive your rig from Gatlinburg to Cherokee? I want to know!

bob
More than once, We love the Gatlinburg area and Smokie Mountain National Park is one of my favorite places in the whole world.
Also been up Mt Mitchell.
BTW; I'm not a big fan of the Edge SUV either but I love my 17YO Ranger Edge.
Attached Thumbnails
mt mitchell 023.jpg  
Old 10-06-2017, 11:23 AM   #21

Missouri
Floyd get this I have 2 cads for some reason I took my wifes car 125k on it been running good. So up the mountain I go car overheats big time do you remember that gas station at the bottom? so I coast down he says he knows what is wrong wasn't too expensive! Up the hill I go guess what? Car overheats again this time I go to a shop he works on it says I am ready. Guess what I go up the mountain again no farther than before this time the el. gauge says car ruined due to heat! So this time I call him up he sends a tow truck he looks at it again says man this is a northstar hopeless. Then I panic and I ask for a used car dealer I call him up owner is gone to the auction! Now I am in real trouble I ask what can be done he says Autozone carries a cure for Northstars he gets it ordered it arrivesoh he says after this the car will not be worth anything but it will get me home I have to drive 800 m home. I say I am going to the Walmart and get some alumaseal I dump it in there I get to Colliinsville il and have a blowout but the alumaseal still working to this day that was 3 years ago. Is this a crazy story or what?
Old 10-06-2017, 02:08 PM   #22

IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Floyd get this I have 2 cads for some reason I took my wifes car 125k on it been running good. So up the mountain I go car overheats big time do you remember that gas station at the bottom? so I coast down he says he knows what is wrong wasn't too expensive! Up the hill I go guess what? Car overheats again this time I go to a shop he works on it says I am ready. Guess what I go up the mountain again no farther than before this time the el. gauge says car ruined due to heat! So this time I call him up he sends a tow truck he looks at it again says man this is a northstar hopeless. Then I panic and I ask for a used car dealer I call him up owner is gone to the auction! Now I am in real trouble I ask what can be done he says Autozone carries a cure for Northstars he gets it ordered it arrivesoh he says after this the car will not be worth anything but it will get me home I have to drive 800 m home. I say I am going to the Walmart and get some alumaseal I dump it in there I get to Colliinsville il and have a blowout but the alumaseal still working to this day that was 3 years ago. Is this a crazy story or what?
Your original problem was not likely the challenge of the mountains but rather a small head gasket leak or a small crack somewhere in the engine block or head. The stop leak has apparently stopped the leak for now. keep an eye on the coolant level and another on the oil.
Old 10-06-2017, 02:17 PM   #23

Missouri
no water in oil no doubt going out the tailpipe I was amazed we got home and the car is still running have to put in a tad everyonce in a while. I sold that car once but I reneged I just couldn't dump it on someone guy wanted it real bad!!

bob
Old 10-06-2017, 02:19 PM   #24

Missouri
Here is my way of driving I am constantly on watch must be from my motorcycle days better to be safe than sorry or dead but right. 2 million miles driving 1 accident a person t-boned me ran a stop light. I almost made it but she caught the rear end of my car, car totaled me safe!