new member w/ a new boler trailer - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-14-2011, 07:57 PM   #1

Name: Dave
Trailer: Boler
Alberta
new member w/ a new boler trailer

Hi, I'm Dave. I'm the proud new owner of a 1975 (I believe) Boler trailer.

It is going to undergo a major facelift and I've already started the work on it. I've sanded and cleaned the ensolite after reading some helpful posts online. I painted over that with primer after Dapping the gaps between the foam. Even the primer was an improvement.

Next I painted over that with latex paint tinted off white. I find it a little to stark white against the original kitchen/seat colours.. so I believe I'll need to paint those next so the contrast is not so sharp.

I'll be ordering cushions and upholstry - hoping Scamp is an option but if the shipping is too pricey I will use a local foam dealer and find the upholstry myself. If anyone has ordered the Scamp cushions before I'd appreciate some feedback.

Also considering putting laminate flooring down.

The exterior, I am going to try to use the marine enamel (several coats w/ wet sanding).. just one tone to begin with, RV white, then maybe paint a retro-looking Boler band around.. brown/orange.. but I'll see how difficult that will be. Then some new decals.

Anyways, I'm super excited to get started on the exterior.. hoping weather improves so I can sand and prime outside without worry. I just got married last year and hope we will use this for years, especially once kids are on the scene.

These forums are helpful and I'm looking forward to checking them out often for hints.. starting with door sag. haha

dave
Attached Thumbnails
boler.jpg  
dmcclure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 08:03 PM   #2

Alberta
cont...

Oh, and here is a pic of the inside so far, after priming. I dig this picture because the Canadian flag is visible outside.

If anyone wants to experiment with colors and happens to have an iphone, check out the 'Home Decorator' app.. it's been great for planning these reno's.

cheers
Attached Thumbnails
photo (6).JPG  
Old 06-14-2011, 08:13 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hey Dave. Welcome to FiberglassRV and THANKS for sharing the pictures. Door sag is a problem with the brands that have air-craft style doors... Bolers and Scamps. There are several different solutions depending on the problem from new hinges (or kits) to a door that's trying to flatten out. Let us know your problem in the Problem Solving forum and you'll get all the help you need.

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 09:29 PM   #4

Name: Wildwood_Boler
Trailer: 1 small simple relatively stock Boler
Alberta
Registry
Scamp Cushion Covers for 1975 Boler

Quote:
Originally Posted by brabomb View Post
Hi, I'm Dave. I'm the proud new owner of a 1975 (I believe) Boler trailer.

I'll be ordering cushions and upholstry - hoping Scamp is an option but if the shipping is too pricey I will use a local foam dealer and find the upholstry myself. If anyone has ordered the Scamp cushions before I'd appreciate some feedback.

dave
Hey Dave, I purchased the Scamp covers, see some of my comments on this thread: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ted-46293.html

The bill was $317 CDN and the UPS brokerage and shipping was $71.12 CDN, so all in for just under $400 CDN. If we had more time, we would have sewn our own, maybe we still will in the future, but we are getting ready for the big summer road trip and needed the covers. We have not located foam, but since we might be passing the scamp factory, we might have a look at their foam on the way by (they warned me that the shipping would be way too expensive to bother with sending it out).

Wildwood, Calgary, AB
Wildwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 11:44 PM   #5

Alberta
Thank for linking that thread, Wildwood. This confirms a few concerns I had with the Scamp shipping and over-all fit. A friend referred me to a local place here that cuts foam and is also an upholsterer (sp?).. they're not cheap but I can bring the old cushions in and they'll cut them exactly as needed. In the long run, since I want (actually my wife wants) all new foam and covers to sleep on, it might be cheaper than ordering off of Scamp anyway. Who knew foam was so pricey.

I'll check them out and if I give decide to go that route I'll post some pics of their work. At least we'll have some extra options for cover colours, design etc..

Is the scamp factory in Montana? Does that mean you're taking the Boler on a roadtip? Beautiful down there! can't wait to get the Boler out for some trips but lots of work to be done before that'll happen.
Old 06-16-2011, 02:42 PM   #6

Trailer: U-Haul 16 ft Vacationer
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
The Scamp factory is in Backus, Minnesota, so he must be heading down that way.
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 10:34 PM   #7

Name: Wildwood_Boler
Trailer: 1 small simple relatively stock Boler
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin A View Post
The Scamp factory is in Backus, Minnesota, so he must be heading down that way.
We are pulling the boler from Alberta to Newfoundland and back this summer, so should be getting within 50 km of Backus depending on final route selection. Maybe close enough to have a look at their foam and show them the fit of the cushions (also a minor factory fabric blemish).
Wildwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 07:58 AM   #8

Name: Alan
Trailer: 2006 Escape 17 B Raven and a Pearl
Alberta
Foam king was very helpful for our new cushions and they did some temporary covers for us very reasonably.

You might want to check out Murphy's (east of fort saskachewan) rv too

Welcome from a fellow new comer
alan in alberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 06:26 AM   #9

Name: Laurie
Trailer: 13 Trillium
Alberta
Registry
Cushions

If you don't mind my asking - what was reasonable? My Trill needs new foam all around, first night sleeping on them made me come to that quick realization, need four for dinette, two for couch.

Laurie
Quote:
Originally Posted by alan in alberta View Post
Foam king was very helpful for our new cushions and they did some temporary covers for us very reasonably.

You might want to check out Murphy's (east of fort saskachewan) rv too

Welcome from a fellow new comer
lhanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 07:03 PM   #10

Name: Alan
Trailer: 2006 Escape 17 B Raven and a Pearl
Alberta
if i rememeber right it was 450 for the foam and 200 for temporary covers that are doing us well untill finish the new covers (thin material with zippers)

we did 7 cushions that make up into an oversize king bed ( front kitchens are awesome)

sounds like we are close and there is a boler in the neighbourhood too

alan in alberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 07:40 PM   #11

Name: Laurie
Trailer: 13 Trillium
Alberta
Registry
Hi, Alan! Thanks for the info. I don't know where you are, but there is actually a boler on my crescent....parked right beside their new Escape! I didn't have the guts to go ask if they were selling. Besides, needed the extra headroom in the Trillium. Which boler did you see?
lhanna is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boler

« help? | Newbies »