New Member with questions - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > Hi, I am....
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-24-2010, 03:12 PM   #1

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978
Registry

Click image for larger version

Name:	Fiber_Stream_oven_space.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	29723

Hi all, I have been enjoying reading your posts and the information on the site. I have some questions and hope this is the right place to post them.

I recently purchased a 1978 Fiber Stream--a big step up from my old VW camper! It appears to be in pretty good shape and everything works--so far. I will be taking it out on its maiden trip in about a week, but I will only be going about 20 miles from home. I have to make two trips to the campsite because I have long sea kayaks that have to go along, too.

Is there anyway to attach a kayak rack to the Fiber Stream?

My Fiber Stream did not come with an oven. There is an opening where I presume one was; under the stove. Photo attached. I went to an RV place and they told me all ovens come as a unit with the stove. I don't think that is how this was set up originally. Any ideas?

I'd like to install an awning. There are metal brackets on the lower side of the trailer, that I believe was for an awning, but I don't see anything near the top where one would attach to. How do they attach at the top?

Sorry if these questions are posted in the wrong place.
Donna Eagleeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 04:31 PM   #2

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
  1. Is there anyway to attach a kayak rack to the Fiber Stream?
  2. I went to an RV place and they told me all ovens come as a unit with the stove. I don't think that is how this was set up originally.
  3. I'd like to install an awning. I don't see anything near the top where one would attach to. How do they attach at the top?
Sorry if these questions are posted in the wrong place.

No worries about your post, I'm a moderator and I moved it to the right place.
I also have a 1978 Fiber Stream. Welcome to the club!

1. Like any fitting (The front Sewer Hose Storage Tube comes to mind) you'll have to drill holes in the shell for attachment bolts to mount the kayak rack. The hard part is sealing up the bolts so that they do not leak in the rain. I am confident that the ribbed roof will support the extra weight.

2. The RV place told you the truth. Your cook-top is not original to your trailer. I can see the seams in your photo where your cabinet & counter were patched after the original Duette Range/Furnace was removed. Then a different stove top was installed in it's place. Here is a photo of mine:

Click image for larger version

Name:	000_0256.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	554.1 KB
ID:	29732
I added an after-market folding cover.

3. You'll need a standard awning rail. Mine is riveted to the fiberglass shell of the trailer. (see answer #1 for how to attach the awning rail, but use rivets instead of bolts)
Old 07-25-2010, 12:12 PM   #3

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
When I was a kid and camped with my family, everyone had a big trailer with a stove/oven combo. They all used the ovens to store their pots, pans, hamburger buns or bread, but they never baked in them ! My personal preference would be to make that area into storage if not already converted. But it certainly depends on your personal camping style whether or not you would use an oven and want to spend the $$ on a new combo .
hmmm, money saved could go toward a kayak rack
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 06:50 AM   #4

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
Donna Eagleeye welcome to the best place for help. Frederick L. Simson great help a picture is worth a thousand words.
Borden is offline   Reply With Quote