New members with questions - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-03-2016, 09:26 PM   #15

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
folks just make sure the SUV u buy can tow the weight!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffandMichellePA View Post
Thanks so much for responding. We do know we have some research to do and it helps to hear from someone else who is actually using one these!
: there are so many SUV's on the road that cannot tow more than 500#'s, some 1500#' and it all has to do with the Transmission as they are not built to tow. So make sure you get the right tow vehicle and the fellow up above said it make sure you but the trailer first then buy the Tow Vehicle.
Stude

Old 08-04-2016, 09:10 AM   #16

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darral T. View Post
Small correction here but Casita has a 13 (Patriot), 16, 17. The 17'er is heavy and has a hoggish tongue weight but is the nicest layout between the Scamp 16 and Casita 16/17. I personally cannot stand the looks of the Scamp 19.

I stand corrected on the sizes, I thought I saw a 15 at a rally but it must have been a 16. Nice campers, they sit higher than a scamp as I recall.

For weight of campers and what tow vehicle capacity you need for towing you might want to check out this thread. Lot of information collected there on what the campers weigh when in use, lot of the weights were done at rallies when camper had food & gear on board.

Trailer Weights in the Real World

The weights here are a great deal more accurate than "dry weight" used by manufacturer in sales brochures, that dry weight does not include appliances, battery, propane tank or any contents. If the item is removable or has options it does not get counted in that dry weight.

They do weight the way they do length, meaningless. Length is from tongue hitch ball socket to back bumper. So a 13 ft. trailer is probably only 10 ft. long living space. Worth noting that the next size up has about the same size tongue and bumper so the additional length is almost all living space. E.G a 16 ft. Scamp body is 3 ft. longer than a 13 ft. but they both have 3 ft. of tongue and bumper so one is a 10 ft. living space, the other a 13 ft. living space.

There are not a lot of FGRV in 5th wheel models, Escape and Scamp are the two that come right to mind. Some love towing the 5th wheel, others don't want to be locked into owning a pickup truck. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

Old 08-06-2016, 04:08 AM   #17

Name: Donna
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy
Florida
Looking for your Egg...

Quote:
We are new here and in the process of locating our egg!

A few questions...can anyone attend the rallies that are held (even if we don't have our own egg yet)?

Are there ever units for sale at these rallies?

Any tips for a couple wanting to full time in unit no larger than 16? We're actually considering a 13 as we don't anticipate sitting around in it and we want to be able to get an SUV for towing.

Looking forward to learning more about these eggs!!

Michelle & Jeff
Hi Jeff & Michelle...as Pa. native, transplanted to Fla. I wanted to reach out to you. Soooo, the fiberglass bug has bitten you too eh?! Welcome! Just thought I'd share with you a lil of our story. We too were fascinated with this way of life when we found a video on You tube about~ the Lil Snoozy camper. O.M.Gosh...it became an instantaneous OBSESSION!Called the company in S.C. to ask if we could see one here in Fla. anywhere. Did so, which totally SOLD us.It's not for everyone, but for us, it's perfect. We wanted and found a twin bed model, which are pretty rare...it's now in our backyard, awaiting our retirement in 19 months. Until then, we'll enjoy small trips, to include the first ever, i believe, Lil Snoozy rally, in S. Carolina -early November. If you've any further questions about it, please don't hesitate to pm me!
Old 08-07-2016, 10:54 AM   #18

Name: Michelle
Trailer: 16' Casita
Pennsylvania
So nice to meet you. Hopefully we'll see you somewhere in our travels. Always nice to meet a fellow PA person!

We just bought a Casita!! Woohoo, we're in the club!! We can't wait to get it on the road and plan on doing so ASAP!!
Old 08-07-2016, 11:04 AM   #19

Name: Donna
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy
Florida
YAYYYYY!! So happy for you guys!!

Quote:
So nice to meet you. Hopefully we'll see you somewhere in our travels. Always nice to meet a fellow PA person!

We just bought a Casita!! Woohoo, we're in the club!! We can't wait to get it on the road and plan on doing so ASAP!!
That's just WONNDERFUL Jeff & Michelle!! You're IN!! for sure...lots of fun to be had now...keep us posted on how it's going!!
Old 08-08-2016, 06:33 AM   #20

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 Std
Arizona
Registry
Congratulations!

Did you end up with a 16' or a 17' Casita? There is a surprisingly large difference weight-wise (especially tongue weight), a factor in your selection of a tow vehicle.

Happy camping!
Old 08-08-2016, 06:51 AM   #21

Name: Michelle
Trailer: 16' Casita
Pennsylvania
We found a 16'. Towed it back from Tennessee with our Dakota (which works for now) It's a standard shift and while I can drive a stick, I've never towed before and think I want to find an automatic before I do so. This will, of course, put all the driving on my hubby until then!!

We are so excited about getting it out and finding our way!