New members with questions - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-03-2016, 07:39 AM   #1

Name: Michelle
Trailer: 16' Casita
Pennsylvania
Smile New members with questions

We are new here and in the process of locating our egg!

A few questions...can anyone attend the rallies that are held (even if we don't have our own egg yet)?

Are there ever units for sale at these rallies?

Any tips for a couple wanting to full time in unit no larger than 16? We're actually considering a 13 as we don't anticipate sitting around in it and we want to be able to get an SUV for towing.

Looking forward to learning more about these eggs!!

Michelle & Jeff
JeffandMichellePA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 07:52 AM   #2

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffandMichellePA View Post

A few questions...can anyone attend the rallies that are held (even if we don't have our own egg yet)?
Usually yes, and even if you are not an "official attendee," the campgrounds often have sites available and people staying there who are not with the rally. Great idea to go to one and see things in person, the owners almost always love to show off their rigs.

Quote:
Not often but you never know. Never hurts to ask too as someone might be thinking of selling but have not taken the first step.

Quote:
Any tips for a couple wanting to full time in unit no larger than 16? We're actually considering a 13 as we don't anticipate sitting around in it and we want to be able to get an SUV for towing.
You will get lots of differing ideas about this but I can tell you that its just me and a 40 lb dog in a 16 foot Scamp and I would not want anything smaller. There will be plenty of times that the inside of your camper is where you end up (weather, etc.) Two people in a 13 is a bit tight (IMHO) but people do it all the time.

Most any vehicle rated to tow 3500 lbs will have no problem with a 16 foot scamp. With some other brand trailers in a 16 or 17 foot model, you might want to go to a 5000 lb rating to make towing easy. Try to get a short list of trailers you like and then decide on the tow vehicle.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 07:58 AM   #3

Name: Jennifer
Trailer: 1979 Scamp 13'
Colorado
Registry
I wouldn't want to full time without a bathroom...and the bathroom in the 13' takes up a LOT of both space and visual space and light. To me, the 13' no bathroom is a nice amount of living space....and that plus a bathroom (basically av16') is a minimum for ME, especially with another person and especially considering how small the bed is; you can get a big bed, but it makes the kitchen and closet much smaller.

You can definitely go to a rally without an egg....I think its A GREAT way to get in a bunch and talk to people!
Zennifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 07:59 AM   #4

Pennsylvania
Thanks so much for responding. We do know we have some research to do and it helps to hear from someone else who is actually using one these!
Old 08-03-2016, 08:02 AM   #5

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
... We do know we have some research to do and it helps to hear from someone else who is actually using one these!
Also, call the manufactures (Scamp, Casita, etc.) and ask for nearby owners willing to show off their trailers. I've showed mine to a few people who did just that but I have not qualified for the $50 referral yet.. perhaps I was too honest about my trailer
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 08:18 AM   #6

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
New members with questions

I'll second all that's been said, and add that contacting rally coordinators is a good way to get advice about making a visit. Circumstances vary depending on whether it is a public or private campground, location, etc.

Lots of nice tow vehicles with 3500 pound ratings would make a good match for a 13' or 16' trailer.

Happy "egg hunting"!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 09:57 AM   #7

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Wife and I own a 13' Scamp bought new in 2010 - loaded. Bath w/shower etc. and would NOT be without it.

BUT--- it's fine for how we camp with me still working and that's apx 3-4 times a year staying NO longer than apx 5 days. When it's bad weather, the 13' is TIGHT for me. We have to put the table up and the cushions get uncomfortable after awhile. Alot of times, I'll put the bed down, then I'll bring in one of my camping chairs...even TIGHTER...but it works.

I cant imagine "full-timing" in a 13' trailer if I was ALONE much less with my wife!! And that would go if I did not have a bathroom. But with some of the campgrounds I've been in...AND with the various weather conditions you're going to have full-timing, I would be MIGHTY uncomfy not having my own bathroom (a shower I could do without). Can you imagine a cold, rainy night forcing you to get up and trod to a Campground bathroom at 3 in the morning???

You'll get MANY MANY opinions and I'm relating mine based on our experience, demands, wants, etc. (I wouldnt want to full-time even in a 16'er personally...but that's just me.)
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 03:48 PM   #8

Pennsylvania
Smile Thanks for all the viewpoints

I appreciate reading how other people feel about camping with these.

This may not be the best place for this question but I'm seeing a lot of Scamp 5th wheels. Does anyone have any experience (good or bad) with going with one of these?

Right now we're in a toss up between a casita or a scamp, and the size of course.

Thanks again to all!
Old 08-03-2016, 04:12 PM   #9

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
You will probably have a chance to check out both Casita and Scamp at a rally. List of them and a Google map with dates is available here Rallies, Get-togethers, Molded Meets (Upcoming) - Fiberglass RV

Couples do long trips in a 13 ft. camper and say it works fine for them. Others would probably find it very hard to manage. It depends on where you camp, pit toilets and hand pump camping can really make a bathroom onboard with flush toilet and shower look mighty attractive. How you use your camper matters too, cook inside if it rains? Or take off for restaurant and spend the day at some local attractions. If it is just a place to sleep and get dressed, have a bagel and coffee for breakfast then off to outside activities then I would guess smaller would be less of a problem.

Scamp has 13, 16 and 5th wheel. Casita has a 15 and 17 ft. model, I think you can ask for a 13 and they will make them they just are not promoted. So you may find one of those is the "just right" porridge. Scamp 5th wheel will seem roomy since it is a 16 ft. with the bed moved to the over hitch area. I have only seen one scamp 5er in person but brother in law liked towing his stick built 5th wheel much better than a tow behind camper.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 05:50 PM   #10

Name: Ann
Trailer: 2016 Scamp 13'
Washington
So many different questions and answers depending on your own preferences and all. Many modifications can be done to make it more comfortable, too. I LOVE my 13' Scamp!! One mod I did was remove the bathroom door and replace it with a shower curtain that matched the window curtains. I can leave the curtain partially pulled back to get a more 'open' feeling. I also removed the table, use a 30x20" of 3/4" plywood for a 'half bed'; sometimes leave the plywood in place, sometimes stow it away during the day. I have colorful pillows and a comfy body pillow to move around during the day, including leaving the plywood down with a pillow on top for my ottoman!

I carry a small folding table like a tv tray, but haven't used it yet.
Triker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 06:14 PM   #11

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
Quote:

Michelle & Jeff
You will see more eggs and get a great insight to camping with them by attending a rally than any other way. Find the rally calendar for the month you want to or can attend, come to the rally and stay in a tent, nearby motel or bed and breakfast, you'll fit right in. Escapes, lil Snoozy, Parkliners, Bigfoot all deserve a look too. The Niagara Wine Escape in September at Niagara Falls Canada is a very fine rally organized and ably orchestrated by Mr Alf Stacey. Motel adjacent to the site at Riverside Campground. We will be there with out 19 Escape, trailer tours, campfires,'pot lucks. How can you top that?
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 06:47 PM   #12

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
We spent two winters, about 4 months each time, in our 13' Uhaul. What made it doable was also using a 12 X 12 screen room that has flaps to close it in like a tent. In the screen room we put the campground picnic table, two comfortable camp chairs, a dorm fridge, a TV, electric heater, some reading lights. It becomes our living room / dining room. Two years ago we added a Casita 17 to our group of campers, so it has become our snowbird trailer. If staying somewhere long term, more than a week, we still use the screen room. The side dinette and the bathroom are the features we like best in the Casita. Larger bed is nice too. There is a small rally near Albany NY in September.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 07:53 PM   #13

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
At our annual fiberglass rally at Algonac state park in Michigan a good part of Saturday is given over for open trailer. I love showing off my Escape 19. It's held on the weekend after Labor Day. If you're going to be spending much inside time, thinking coltish weather in the winter with extra darkness, a few extra feet can make a big difference. I did one winter in a 17 ft EggCamper and one in my 19 ft Escape. It's doable but pretty tight for two people. I winter in Arizona and many nights it's too cold/chilly to sit out all evening. For anyone who doesn't know, AZ winter is not like Florida winter.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 08:23 PM   #14

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Small correction here but Casita has a 13 (Patriot), 16, 17. The 17'er is heavy and has a hoggish tongue weight but is the nicest layout between the Scamp 16 and Casita 16/17. I personally cannot stand the looks of the Scamp 19.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
Casita has a 15 and 17 ft. model, I think you can ask for a 13 and they will make them they just are not promoted.
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 09:26 PM   #15

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
folks just make sure the SUV u buy can tow the weight!

Quote:
Thanks so much for responding. We do know we have some research to do and it helps to hear from someone else who is actually using one these!
: there are so many SUV's on the road that cannot tow more than 500#'s, some 1500#' and it all has to do with the Transmission as they are not built to tow. So make sure you get the right tow vehicle and the fellow up above said it make sure you but the trailer first then buy the Tow Vehicle.
Stude
stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 09:10 AM   #16

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darral T. View Post
Small correction here but Casita has a 13 (Patriot), 16, 17. The 17'er is heavy and has a hoggish tongue weight but is the nicest layout between the Scamp 16 and Casita 16/17. I personally cannot stand the looks of the Scamp 19.

I stand corrected on the sizes, I thought I saw a 15 at a rally but it must have been a 16. Nice campers, they sit higher than a scamp as I recall.

For weight of campers and what tow vehicle capacity you need for towing you might want to check out this thread. Lot of information collected there on what the campers weigh when in use, lot of the weights were done at rallies when camper had food & gear on board.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...rld-43010.html

The weights here are a great deal more accurate than "dry weight" used by manufacturer in sales brochures, that dry weight does not include appliances, battery, propane tank or any contents. If the item is removable or has options it does not get counted in that dry weight.

They do weight the way they do length, meaningless. Length is from tongue hitch ball socket to back bumper. So a 13 ft. trailer is probably only 10 ft. long living space. Worth noting that the next size up has about the same size tongue and bumper so the additional length is almost all living space. E.G a 16 ft. Scamp body is 3 ft. longer than a 13 ft. but they both have 3 ft. of tongue and bumper so one is a 10 ft. living space, the other a 13 ft. living space.

There are not a lot of FGRV in 5th wheel models, Escape and Scamp are the two that come right to mind. Some love towing the 5th wheel, others don't want to be locked into owning a pickup truck. Different strokes for different folks I guess.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 04:08 AM   #17

Name: Donna
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy
Florida
Looking for your Egg...

Quote:

Michelle & Jeff
Hi Jeff & Michelle...as Pa. native, transplanted to Fla. I wanted to reach out to you. Soooo, the fiberglass bug has bitten you too eh?! Welcome! Just thought I'd share with you a lil of our story. We too were fascinated with this way of life when we found a video on You tube about~ the Lil Snoozy camper. O.M.Gosh...it became an instantaneous OBSESSION!Called the company in S.C. to ask if we could see one here in Fla. anywhere. Did so, which totally SOLD us.It's not for everyone, but for us, it's perfect. We wanted and found a twin bed model, which are pretty rare...it's now in our backyard, awaiting our retirement in 19 months. Until then, we'll enjoy small trips, to include the first ever, i believe, Lil Snoozy rally, in S. Carolina -early November. If you've any further questions about it, please don't hesitate to pm me!
DonnaMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 10:54 AM   #18

Pennsylvania
So nice to meet you. Hopefully we'll see you somewhere in our travels. Always nice to meet a fellow PA person!

We just bought a Casita!! Woohoo, we're in the club!! We can't wait to get it on the road and plan on doing so ASAP!!
Old 08-07-2016, 11:04 AM   #19

Name: Donna
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy
Florida
YAYYYYY!! So happy for you guys!!

Quote:
So nice to meet you. Hopefully we'll see you somewhere in our travels. Always nice to meet a fellow PA person!

We just bought a Casita!! Woohoo, we're in the club!! We can't wait to get it on the road and plan on doing so ASAP!!
That's just WONNDERFUL Jeff & Michelle!! You're IN!! for sure...lots of fun to be had now...keep us posted on how it's going!!
DonnaMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 06:33 AM   #20

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Congratulations!

Did you end up with a 16' or a 17' Casita? There is a surprisingly large difference weight-wise (especially tongue weight), a factor in your selection of a tow vehicle.

Happy camping!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote