New Old Timers - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-27-2019, 03:34 PM   #1

Name: marant
Trailer: 2010 Escape 17B
Texas
New Old Timers

We are new members without an RV. We owned a 14,000 lb 32' Alfa fifthwheel in which we toured most of the country (50,000 miles). It became more than we wanted to handle and was sold several years ago.

We find we miss the lifestyle and travel and are looking for a smaller, more easily handled trailer. It looks like a fiberglass would be perfect, but we as we are new to the type we have some questions:

1. We are generally looking for something 16-18'.
2. We would like twin beds with a separate sitting area.
3. At our age a toilet is probably a necessity, but not necessarily with a shower. Would prefer water and holding tanks.
4. Our budget is between $10-20,000.
5. We do not want to embark on a substantial renovation, but can certainly handle minor repairs and improvements.
6. AC and solar power would be pluses, but not deal breakers.

We are so new to this venture that we do not even know what makes or models will address our desires. Any and all recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, all. We are looking forward to a new adventure!
marant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 04:27 PM   #2

Trailer: U-Haul 16 ft Vacationer
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
The 17' Casita Independence model comes very close to your needs. The twin bed area doubles as a dinette, too. Take a look online. Also, they are made in TX.
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 04:39 PM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Welcome to the forum! I agree a smaller molded fiberglass trailer is a simple, low maintenance way to start traveling again.

However, nothing in your size and budget range has all three: twin beds, separate seating, and a wet bath. It’s pretty much a “pick any two” situation, at least in terms of standard floor plans.

I wouldn’t give up on the plan though. With some creative thinking, flexibility, and minor modifications. I think you could find a workable arrangement that will do most of what you want.

You could start by visiting a molded fiberglass rally in your area and get a feel for what's available and how you might modify it to work for you. See the 2019 Rally Map here. Looks like there are several in TX. Some have a scheduled time for "open house" tours, and most welcome day visitors. Contact event hosts for advice about scheduling a visit.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 05:17 PM   #4

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
+10 budget doesn’t match list. Only FG trailers with twins plus separate seating area is either an Escape 5th wheel (twins are now an option) or an Oliver Elite II. Oliver is about double the cost of the Escape. Oliver is a top of the line four season rig. Escape is a very nice 3 season rig.
Old 04-28-2019, 07:16 AM   #5
JBB

Name: Jan
Trailer: 2017 Lil Snoozy
South Carolina
Welcome to the forum M! Keep us posted with pictures when you do find your camper!
JBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 09:11 AM   #6

Name: Justus
Trailer: Currently Shopping
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
+10 budget doesn’t match list. Only FG trailers with twins plus separate seating area is either an Escape 5th wheel (twins are now an option) or an Oliver Elite II. Oliver is about double the cost of the Escape. Oliver is a top of the line four season rig. Escape is a very nice 3 season rig.
The 25' Bigfoot also has a twin option with separate seating. Unfortunately all of these trailer are not only outside the budget, but also outside the desired size (16'-18').

A Casita Liberty (https://casitatraveltrailers.com/liberty-16-17/) would give you two small beds (I read only 23" wide) and I think you could leave the small table set up when sleeping. With some custom supports and cut-to-fit foam mattresses, you could have beds that are wider at the head (kind of like shown here: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post586227). This would allow you to simultaneously have a bed and seating area--they just wouldn't be physically separate. One end of the bed would double as the seat and you'd have to shimmy around the table to get to the bathroom in the middle of the night.

Here is a link to an ad for a Casita that was modded as I described: https://www.fiberglass-rv-4sale.com/...-6750-bovey-mn

There are some products that can help you set up your separate seating area outside the trailer, if that is a workable solution. In that case the Casita Independence may be the better option. Check out this thread: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ium-87676.html
Old 05-04-2019, 03:07 PM   #7

Name: Sharon&Roger
Trailer: 2012 13ft Scamp
Missouri
Agreed, also the Liberty model would meet their needs.
Swasson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 08:49 AM   #8

Name: marant
Trailer: 2010 Escape 17B
Texas
Thanks for the comments, they are helpful.

We went to the Casita factory this weekend (had never seen one) and have decided Casita is not for us.

We have learned a lot in our research, and are probably going to look for an Escape 17B and just accept the fact that we will have to make up one bed each night (me: how hard is it to roll out a sleeping bag?).

Given the high resale value of fiberglass trailers, and the difficulty of finding one used we will probably adjust our budget and look at ordering one new. We can live with the wait, and will, at least, be able to specify exactly what we want. It also appears that the Escape factory is very easy to work with as to changes and modifications. The exchange rate helps, too.
marant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 09:35 AM   #9

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
New Old Timers

Cool! The Escape 17 is a nice layout if you like the wood interior. You can probably work with the factory to get a first-hand look at one through their referral program.

I agree making up one small bed is minimal hassle in return for the mobility of a smaller trailer. Having a large bed plus a smaller bed has advantages over two twins. You can share the larger bed for couple time, watching TV, but have separate sleeping spaces to accommodate different sleep patterns and those pesky early morning bathroom visits. My wife likes her space, so she gets the big bed, while I am perfectly happy on the narrow front bunk in our Scamp.

Best wishes going forward!
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote